Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Michael Mensing

Andy Y

As noted here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69535-great-british-locomotives/?p=1711138 and as flagged up by a fellow member it is sad to report that Michael Mensing has passed away.

Dear all may I just use this forum to record a personal note. I have just read about the passing of the railway photographer Michael Mensing. He photographed many locations here in the West Midlandsin the 60s including many shots of the then new and unloved by many enthusiasts Diesel engines.
I knew he had photographed at my chosen modelled location. I therefore sent a request for any material. He responded with a very kind and courteous letter and any number of photographs, some of which had not previously been published. Thank you for allowing me to record my personal sadness and thanks to fine man

Michael's pictures provided a fantastic reference for anyone who modelled or had an interest in the railways of the West Midlands and particularly the Black Country.

Few of those reference books could fail to have at least one of Michael's pictures included.

RIP.

Oh that is really, really sad to hear.

Michael's colour pictures were something special. They always appeared in the Ian Allan Locospotter's Annual that I got for Christmas (and repeated in Trains Annual which was for "older" people").

You could always tell one of his pictures as they had a particular style to them - the mark of an exceptional photographer.

Though he took steam views too, his everyday shots of diesels and electrics form a lasting contribution to the record of railways in that era and especially (though not exclusively) the West Midlands scene.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Aft'noon all,

I've collected many of Michael's images in various publications over the years. He did more than most in terms of getting out to the more remote outposts of the network.

Long may he be remembered and appreciated for his valuable contribution to the hobby.

The latest 'new' image of his which I've discovered was in the recently released 'Stafford & Uttoxeter Railway' book from 'The Lightmoor Press'....a class 40 passing Bromshall jnc with a diverted London - Manchester express...another excellent and rare image.

Rest In Peace Michael

Dave

We are indebted to Michael for an invaluable historic archive of our local railways here in the West Midlands.  

It will remain, to enrich future generations of transport historians as a fine and fitting memorial to him.

Thank you Mr M.

Very sad, one of the precursors of diesel and electrics in colour and through his colaboration with Ian Allan and Colour-Rail has allowed us all to share his images.

Another one gone.as they say................but along with Derek Cross, Keith Pirt, Alec Swain, Hugh Ballantyne and others who have passed on in body, but their spirit is still alive in their photography! 

My thoughts are with his family.

• 4 weeks later...

Mike did take pictures in Scotland. One of the last features he did for me was around Oban in steam days. He was an immensely helpful photographer not least because he liked to take pictures of diesels and DMUs as much as he did steam. His shots of units around the Acocks Green area were a vital resource when I was choosing pictures for the Ian Allan Abc Combined Volume back in the 1960s. Illustrating the DMU section relied on Mike and P.J. Sharpe. Mike took rolling stock pictures, too, and his pictures are still great illustrations for railway modelling articles. RIP, Mike, and thanks.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Having been brought up on Birmingham area steam and early diesels I always found Michael's work of great interest. In latter days he has cost me a small fortune by having photographed the prototypes of new models in my modelling timeframe and area. I convinced myself that I didn't need this model or that, but they always seem to pop up in his pictures.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived