Radio Control + Sound?

Mike140

Hello all.

I'm looking for some help/advice when it comes to fitting sound to a remote control 7mm / 0 gauge DMU.

I'm hoping to take the plunge into 7mm with an Easy-Build class 121 'Bubble car' and would like to convert it to RC.

I have experience with RC, having cars and boats in the past, but would also like to have sound in the model, similar to DCC sound, with a playable horn, guards whistle, flange squeal and of course engine sounds. These are the only sounds i'd like, not interested in slamming doors unless the doors actually open or close etc.

So is this possible?

I have a four-channel transmitter and reciever from a model boat to hand.
I'm hoping to have the channels assigned to -

1. Throttle/Reverse - engine sounds working from the motor?
2. Horns
3. Guards whistle
4. Flange squeal

If it can't be done with the equipment i have to hand can anyone suggest something that would work?

And i'm guessing i'd need a battery pack made to fit the model. Is there anywhere i can them made to size?

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

I presume there is plenty of space in your Class 121.

One option for sound might be to use an Arduino to play the sounds from an SD card in response to signals from the receiver. Some of the Arduinos come in very small packages or you could just use a bare Atmega 328 chip on your own PCB.

Are you aware of the Deltang radio control system that is mentioned in other Threads here?

...R

Hi Robin. Thanks for the reply.

I've had a look at the Arduino and Atmega stuff and I think they're a bit out of my league. They look very complicated.

I have been looking at the Deltang system and I do like the looks of that though. I noticed they have one that can control up to 12 trains and seeing as I'm already eyeing up Easy-Build's 108 as well I think that could be a winner.

Still a bit baffled as to how to get the sound into it though. Could I somehow convert a DCC chip to work with the Deltang system? The only problem being some of the functions would be wasted. Like I said I only want the four sounds I've listed above, any others I'm not really keen on and they would just take up another function.

I'm in a similar position - I want to ditch my ESU Loksound decoders and go Deltang BPRC , but the lack of sound is a drawback. I've looked at some of the available sound modules, but they are pretty horrible. How hard would it be to use the Deltang RX and add to the code to play sounds saved on an SD card? I gather DavidT is looking at this, but pondered calling in some favors from my geeks..

I'm mostly interested in steam, and think the Loksound sound project architecture should be a good basis..

I'm in a similar position - I want to ditch my ESU Loksound decoders and go Deltang BPRC , but the lack of sound is a drawback. I've looked at some of the available sound modules, but they are pretty horrible. How hard would it be to use the Deltang RX and add to the code to play sounds saved on an SD card? I gather DavidT is looking at this, but pondered calling in some favors from my geeks..

I'm mostly interested in steam, and think the Loksound sound project architecture should be a good basis..

Have you looked at the Mylocosound modules? They have a module that might be controllable from the outputs of a Deltang Rx and another that works directly from DC power. At less than £60 they might be worth a look. I wonder if the stand alone unit could use the DC output from a Rx instead of rail power. Fitting it all in might be a problem but for my 3 cylinder locos pulling passenger trains a test rig in the brake coach might work.

Size shouldn't be a problem for me in O gauge. I'd really like something that doesn't use synthesized sounds, but rather used actual recordings. It's a good start tho. I'd prefer to work in with DaveT for an integrated solution.

But at EUR99 per loco, that's a lot of coin. I'd rather buy a Deltang setup and hand it over to my geeks to play with, especially if they could get the data in the tx and allow streaming to multiple sources (eg Bluetooth receivers and speakers or headsets or surround sound or a sub)

Check out the BBC item on battery recharging

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30708945

A 40 amp charger !!!!

Maybe recharging in a couple of minutes makes battery density irrelevant. If i could fit in a 900mah battery that recharged that fast i would be happy.

While that seems to be a fantastic advance, note it isn't a current type of battery chemistry technology. Apparently it's presently less compact and lower capacity. And most important, if it works, it's proprietary, so not likely to be inexpensive. At least not for some time.

Maybe in few years you'll have your wish!

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Agreed, however Dave the problem I see with Tam Valley is radio interference. I believe this has been experienced. The Deltang system doesn't suffer from this, but sound options are limited.DCC steam sound appears to be far advanced relative to radio control.

Agreed, however Dave the problem I see with Tam Valley is radio interference. I believe this has been experienced. The Deltang system doesn't suffer from this, but sound options are limited.DCC steam sound appears to be far advanced relative to radio control.

DCC has been around for about 20+ years so give radio control a few more years!.

I am not really interested in sound but think one of those stand alone systems that sync to the wheel rotation might be useful?

• 1 month later...

Ok, so-Bluetooth speakers in the locos, sound on the iPad, and drive to the sound. Not the 'ideal' but probably better than trying to mix sound and nit getting any of the other effects.

The ultimate development of this would be to do an a/v presentation for the operating sequence, and drive the models to that sequence. Pause button essential! iMovie or PowerPoint. Hmmmm

• 5 months later...

My ambition is RC / battery driving a sound system on board an O scale modern diesel.........The ultimate freedom to roam inhibited only by the signalling system ( just like the real thing )

To date I've had success in the first part ( RC/battery ) using Deltang systems,  from the very helpful Peter@Yatton .

Control of multi motored locos on rusty track is possible.

Unfortunately replicating the sound of 5000HP diesel locos is not.  Ok if you want a track inspection pop car.

What I seek is a European equivalent of the popular CVP Airwire system used widely in the USA.  This system is RC/ battery and drives the loco through a proprietory DCC chip to which the receiver is connected. Batteries provide traction and control power.  The chip can be e.g . USA Tsunami diesel or steam, ESU European or any other brand you prefer with or without sound effects..

My request to CVP for a  European compliant RC transmitter has so far failed,  in spite an offer to fund conversion..

Non DCC sound cards do exist if wish to avoid DCC A/C

Example are Pheonix ( USA ) and MTronics ( UK )

The CREST RC Control system has been recommended as being UK compliant and possibly connectable to the above sound cards.

HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE OF "CREST ELECTRONICS"

Feedback welcomed

John JP

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks John. Individual sound chips on locos are an expensive option!

I had a closer look at RR&Co with their under baseboard sound. Cost wise, this is a sensible option, as the cost would equate to maybe 4 individually equipped locos. Airily easy to get hold of a 5.1 or even 7.1 sound system. Noting also that you don't need to use all of the layout control features. The only downside is I haven't spotted an option for radio control. However I guess someone could write a little programme to convert DCC commands to RC or similar.

If Bluerails get it right, that could be a game changer. It will depend on how easy it is to customize sounds, and whether they can track position of the loco's, which in theory Bluetooth smart can sorta do(?)

• 9 months later...

Noting that the Deltang rx has the ability to outer the commands, what are people's thoughts on another board which has an ad card and can transmit via Bluetooth, paired to Bluetooth speakers under the layout? I'm not sure how well the 'proximity' feature of Bluetooth speakers works, and also gather that Bluetooth speakers only accept sound from one source at a time?

Archived