Mark 1 BGs in NSE livery

mcjlf1

Hi all,

I am wondering if anybody on here knows of any photos and/or sources of info on any Mark 1 BGs which got painted in Network Southeast livery?

I know there was at least one, but photos seem to be rather thin on the ground.  The only one I have found is this one:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevor-plackett/7316040032/in/pool-1546399@N22/lightbox/

Any further info (numbers etc) and pointers to photos would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

James

• RMweb Gold

I have just had a trawl through my pictures and have found half a dozen shots of trains with a BG in NSE livery. The pictures were either taken in 1988 or 1990 and they were all on Paddington to Oxford or Newbury trains. Can't help with any numbers (didn't do that sort of thing with coaches) so I don't know if they are all the same vehicle. I will post them later.

• RMweb Gold

So, some NSE liveried BGs. Or is it the same one? This is 50026 on the 1600 Oxford to Paddington passing Lower Basildon on August 27th 1988. The BG looks pretty clean so maybe it was not long out of the paint shop.

post-17370-0-23650200-1419855218_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

A couple of weeks later (September 6th) the same loco (and rake, by the look of it) are on the same train, this time a few miles closer to London, at Purley-on-Thames. Looks like the loco has been turned somewhere in the meantime.

post-17370-0-51398400-1419855540_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I didn't make a note of the details for this one at all but it would have been late 1987 or early 1988. All I do know is that I took the photograph at Kennet goods loop, just east of Reading on a Sunday morning. I was taking some photos of Reading town centre for a friend's A Level geography project and decided to finish off the film with a couple of train shots. Any guesses as to the loco? It's a shortish nameplate with no crest so that narrows it down a little.

post-17370-0-65890900-1419855760_thumb.jpg

Just two NEA carried NSE livery, between 1988 and 1991

92236 B4 bogies

92315 Commonwealth bogies

I suspect only one was in use at any one time (although the spare could then be used temporarily to cover for another failed brake coach) and these were for the movement of BRUTES as part of this specific diagram, most likely between Oxford and Paddington

There is a Replica Mk1 BG in NSE colours for sale on Ebay

I don't think we are supposed to put links to auctions here but if you Google this, Replica Railways OO 12163 Mark 1 BG Coach in NSE livery MB. You should find it.

There's no need - Replica themselves still stock the NSE liveried BG and they're only £10 each

Any guesses as to the loco? It's a shortish nameplate with no crest so that narrows it down a little.

50023 Howe probably fits the bill. It gained black on the window surrounds in January 1989 so the livery fits for 1987/88.

I've seen NSE BGs in Cornwall, once as part of a full NSE rake behind 50019 on a summer saturday Newquay-Paddington in 1987, and once behind 50007 on a rake of mixed-livery Mk2 aircons on an up Penzance working in 1988, also on a summer saturday. Assume the latter was a scratch rake made up assorted spare vehicles.

Hi all,

There was 5 BG's in NSE for the Thames valley services.

92236 B4 bogies. Based at OM.

92315 Commonwealth bogies. Based at OM and then later transfered to BJ.

92319 Commonwealth bogies. Based at OM.

92324 Commonwealth bogies. Based at OM.

92354 Commonwealth bogied. Based at OM.

At the May timetable change in 1990 all of these BG's were transfered to Euston and 3 of them quickly painted into Intercity colours.

Regards

Vin

Archived