Hi Hal,

Great lookng layout !

For photos I resize to 1600x800 using Paint.net and then use the 'Reply with attachments' option to embed the images where required within the text.

Stu

You can instead use RMwebs own tool to import and size.

Apps and content at the top of this page

has a drop down to Image Editor. Thats what I use. And as the pictures are here in RMwebs gallery they tick like sxxt to a shovel.....unlike my flicker account which had pictures go down on me several times.

Best thing I find is to break the layout into chunks not literally but scenic wise and concentrate on one block even put some tape on the edge of the base board where your working too :paint: I find this best if you have smaller chunks of time, smaller chunk of time, smaller area to work on...simples....

Ok still run your trains but don’t get distracted by what’s the other side of the fence (or tape).

Then take some photos of what you've done ,as digital photos are great for spotting what your eyes miss (at least they are for me) :blind: . Then when your satisfied show us the results :friends:  and move to the other side of the fence and start over again you'll soon get great pleasure out of what you achieve as you move down the layout.

:locomotive:

Pick a small bit 1foot by 1 foot, and trial it out, don't do it in an important place....as you skills will improve.....

decide on the base colour, and start adding the fluff......I save anything i remove, as the messy stuff often looks quite authentic once put back down......

choose an area that would improve your photos. i.e with a little fluff and a train and some track you give the appearance of a long view.

The parts you will photograph from (i.e. where he camera is) needs more detail than the stuff at the back. 

Oh and repainting the Skaledale buildings actually looks really good. You DONT count bricks in photos...unless you photograph really up close, and those look fine, 

The thing I have realised is that, put several no bad elements together, and they gel regardless making it look better. Hence trial a small area. Not try to do everything at once. DO keep packets....so you remember what you need to match to. But Don't do scenery in a real square, don't have obvious end lines that are straight, do snake lines so colour can be merged. And when two bits abutt and just look out of sink just put some fluff a cross both merging them.

Dust from the hoover makes a good blah base and is cheap. Remove dog hairs LOL. Fix if in half and half PVA/water.

Pick a small bit 1foot by 1 foot, and trial it out, don't do it in an important place....as you skills will improve.....

decide on the base colour, and start adding the fluff......I save anything i remove, as the messy stuff often looks quite authentic once put back down......

choose an area that would improve your photos. i.e with a little fluff and a train and some track you give the appearance of a long view.

The parts you will photograph from (i.e. where he camera is) needs more detail than the stuff at the back. 

Oh and repainting the Skaledale buildings actually looks really good. You DONT count bricks in photos...unless you photograph really up close, and those look fine, 

The thing I have realised is that, put several no bad elements together, and they gel regardless making it look better. Hence trial a small area. Not try to do everything at once. DO keep packets....so you remember what you need to match to. But Don't do scenery in a real square, don't have obvious end lines that are straight, do snake lines so colour can be merged. And when two bits abutt and just look out of sink just put some fluff a cross both merging them.

Dust from the hoover makes a good blah base and is cheap. Remove dog hairs LOL. Fix if in half and half PVA/water.

It's a right PITA. The first thing I do with a new laptop is disable tap-to-click.

Sorry to repeat this Nile but I should have said "left-click" was dodgy! Life would be a bit more complicated if it was the right that wasn't working.

(Sigh... can't tell right from left these days... Senile.. : (  ;)

Hal.

Thanks Jaz,

Actually, the Skaledale don't look too bad at the back, their red cooled down. (project to follow)

You're advice is vital, as demonstrated daily by your skills. Life is a lot brighter with you at my shoulder.

Thanks! :D

Hal

• RMweb Premium

Layout looks great Hal and thread is off to a great start with 11 12 followers already!

It looks like you got the hang of things pretty quick (it took me ages) and are enjoying it immensely.

I'm a big fan of anything Eastern Region/LNER and constituents so will be following developments closely.

regard Squatch.

P.S. I did spot the pacific on the tarmac when you posted this pic on my thread :mosking:

Hi Hal

I've just caught up with this as I haven't spent much time on RM web over Christmas - my visits have been fleeting!

I,ve been reading through you thread. The layout looks good. I do like 1960's ECML layouts, so this is one for me to follow.

Glad you' ve found a way to deal with the posting problems. People seem to find a method that suits them and stick with that. I use something called Irfanview for posting photographs, re sized to 800x600. I draft posts in word like you, so I can edit them at my leisure before posting.

All the best for the new year

Alex

Great to see another ECML layout on RMweb and I look forward to seeing more pics and a track plan...

Just for future reference, there is an auto save feature on posts.  I can't recall exactly how to do it right now, but once you have lost your post, you can go back to the same topic and type something in the reply box.  Top left in the reply box there should be a link come up in blue that says something like 'recover auto saved content' and clicking on that will bring back the post that you have lost.  I think the option is only there for a few minutes or so, but it will allow you to get a post back if you press the wrong button or gremlins take over.

Thanks Jaz,

Actually, the Skaledale don't look too bad at the back, their red cooled down. (project to follow)

You're advice is vital, as demonstrated daily by your skills. Life is a lot brighter with you at my shoulder.

Thanks! :D

Hal

Moorings'

Hal, don't know how much of Kal n' Jaz's thread you have read............but.

somewhere,awhile back, they posted the different, "Variant's" / discrepancies, :O  in the Hornby Skaledale building's range, of the same building's,

produced, over,  a period of time.

So, be aware of that, if you are tempted to purchase for your layout........

Layout looks great Hal and thread is off to a great start with 11 12 followers already!

It looks like you got the hang of things pretty quick (it took me ages) and are enjoying it immensely.

I'm a big fan of anything Eastern Region/LNER and constituents so will be following developments closely.

regard Squatch.

P.S. I did spot the pacific on the tarmac when you posted this pic on my thread :mosking:

Thanks for looking in, Sasquatch,

Guys, if you haven't seen this mans modelling give it a shot. Top notch in general terms and one of the best scratch-builders of goods vehicles around.

Thanks for following. My followers are up to 14 at the last look. I'm honoured indeed on the strength of just three photographs.

Regards, Hal

Hi Hal

I've just caught up with this as I haven't spent much time on RM web over Christmas - my visits have been fleeting!

I,ve been reading through you thread. The layout looks good. I do like 1960's ECML layouts, so this is one for me to follow.

Glad you' ve found a way to deal with the posting problems. People seem to find a method that suits them and stick with that. I use something called Irfanview for posting photographs, re sized to 800x600. I draft posts in word like you, so I can edit them at my leisure before posting.

All the best for the new year

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for catching up and thanks for the mention of Irfanview - it's certainly got top reviews - I'll definitely give it a look. I'm not comfortable with flickr these days.

And Alex is another top modeller, people. Some jaw-dropping work.

All the Best to You and Yours,

Hal.

Great to see another ECML layout on RMweb and I look forward to seeing more pics and a track plan...

Just for future reference, there is an auto save feature on posts.  I can't recall exactly how to do it right now, but once you have lost your post, you can go back to the same topic and type something in the reply box.  Top left in the reply box there should be a link come up in blue that says something like 'recover auto saved content' and clicking on that will bring back the post that you have lost.  I think the option is only there for a few minutes or so, but it will allow you to get a post back if you press the wrong button or gremlins take over.

Delighted that you've looked in, Gordon and grateful for your support, especially since your scratch-built track is as good as it comes. Me, I can make a f'arse out of laying peco, and I'm not being modest. 

And thanks for the *saving* instructions. A couple of times, recently, the damn post has disappeared. Probably me caught the button wrong with the touch-pad.

I trust I'll have the track-plan done before too long, but my ancient digits are making a job of once would have been daily work.

Cheers! 

Hal

From what I've seen so far, you're doing a great job that's a fantastic shot through the bridge!

Lee

Thanks Lee,

I was hoping you'd drop in. The signal-box you built for DT's Dover Priory has my chin on my chest every time I look at it!

Thanks for your remarks about the 40 shot. I made it initially to show the Lesney bridge in near profile, to indicate how much work would be needed to make it OK, but a few people have had kind words for it. Cropped, I think the old arty law-of-thirds has worked its magic. (Don't ask me, guys - look it up!  :no:  I'd need a book, although it can be simplicity in practice)

Thanks again, Lee,

Hal

Thanks Lee,

I was hoping you'd drop in. The signal-box you built for DT's Dover Priory has my chin on my chest every time I look at it!

Thanks for your remarks about the 40 shot. I made it initially to show the Lesney bridge in near profile, to indicate how much work would be needed to make it OK, but a few people have had kind words for it. Cropped, I think the old arty law-of-thirds has worked its magic. (Don't ask me, guys - look it up!  :no:  I'd need a book, although it can be simplicity in practice)

Thanks again, Lee,

Hal

You can,             alter the angle of your ipad,  y'know.        :jester:

Hi Hal

Picked up this thread from your post on Grantham.

Looking good :good:

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

One of the first things I check are post numbers. I'm a comparative newcomer myself but have built up my numbers quite quickly thanks to people like yourself being so complimentary regarding the very early days of my thread.

So welcome aboard RMweb! We'd all love to see what you are up to, or are planning. :D

Hal.

Hi Eddie,

One of the first things I check are post numbers. I'm a comparative newcomer myself but have built up my numbers quite quickly thanks to people like yourself being so complimentary regarding the very early days of my thread.

So welcome aboard RMweb! We'd all love to see what you are up to, or are panning. :D

Hal.

Hi Hal

In time, long way to go before I've much worth posting.

At present I'm enjoying looking at developing layouts such as yours and just wishing I had more space.

Mountain of knowledge on here.

Eddie

PS Had to look up L8r - must be getting old.

Hi Hal

In time, long way to go before I've much worth posting.

At present I'm enjoying looking at developing layouts such as yours and just wishing I had more space.

Mountain of knowledge on here.

Eddie

PS Had to look up L8r - must be getting old.ear

Hi Eddie,

I spent a year before posting anything - and three years lurking on another forum! So take your time and enjoy yourself.

One thing I would say: list what you enjoy on the threads you really like, to find what is common in them all. Also list "must haves" for your requirements. 

And do consider a shunting-plank. It can be used to practice all techniques, building and scenic, and will get you something cheap to play with. You don't have to put it on here.

Most importantly, have fun. ;)

Hal

Hi Hal,

As a complete novice following a link for ECML I came upon this topic. As a newcomer I believe I can learn from your experiences and get a feel for elements I would like to include in my layout once I can get into that level of detail. So far I have a plan for track layout and that is it - and now I am questioning that too.

Keep up the good work and posting.

Matthew

Hi Hal,

As a complete novice following a link for ECML I came upon this topic. As a newcomer I believe I can learn from your experiences and get a feel for elements I would like to include in my layout once I can get into that level of detail. So far I have a plan for track layout and that is it - and now I am questioning that too.

Keep up the good work and posting.

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm going to think long and hard before I give you a proper response. There's a reason for this, something I'm pondering over relative to another thread. How something turns out on that thread is likely to effect what I say. It's of a hierarchical nature.  I know - weird! But bear with me. ;)

Kind Regards,

Hal

• RMweb Gold

Hi Hal

Looking forward to seeing more of your layout as it looks a good moderate size to be doable. When I started out with mine, after building 3 previous ones, I was most interested in building something that was able to be done by me. This is not because I don't like playing with others, just that out here in Oz, there are not that many modellers who are interested in my prototype and that I could rely on for contributions, so have to rely on what I can do myself. This means that I have had to compromise on what an ideal layout (for me) would be, so that I could keep it within the size and skills I have available to me. When I see some of the layouts on here that are at the "top" of the hierarchy that you mention, I sometimes think that I will never attain such lofty heights, but then they also give me inspiration and other modelling ideas, and that must be a good thing, just as long as we don't lose sight of the fact that no matter how many rivets something has, nor at what f-stop you use to take a pic of it, we are still always just playing trains!

As was posted at the top of the Model Railroader magazine, "model railroading is fun", just as long as we allow it to be.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Hal

Looking forward to seeing more of your layout as it looks a good moderate size to be doable. When I started out with mine, after building 3 previous ones, I was most interested in building something that was able to be done by me. This is not because I don't like playing with others, just that out here in Oz, there are not that many modellers who are interested in my prototype and that I could rely on for contributions, so have to rely on what I can do myself. This means that I have had to compromise on what an ideal layout (for me) would be, so that I could keep it within the size and skills I have available to me. When I see some of the layouts on here that are at the "top" of the hierarchy that you mention, I sometimes think that I will never attain such lofty heights, but then they also give me inspiration and other modelling ideas, and that must be a good thing, just as long as we don't lose sight of the fact that no matter how many rivets something has, nor at what f-stop you use to take a pic of it, we are still always just playing trains!

As was posted at the top of the Model Railroader magazine, "model railroading is fun", just as long as we allow it to be.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your support.

When I say that this is my first layout it's not strictly true. Back in the early eighties I built a six foot, three road shunting plank. It was an urban scene, the background being a retaining wall with low-relief terraced houses on the road in. To the back of the three sidings was a large, low-relief warehouse. In front of the road in was a back-street garage and scrap yard. I thoroughly enjoyed this little layout. It became fairly well detailed and it told me that I like shunting. I have no pictures, though 'cos in those days it took a quality SLR with a close-up lense, and film itself was expensive. But from there I knew I wanted to build a larger layout and, like yourself, that I was capable of doing it to a standard I'd be content with.

To cut a long story short, for work reasons, etc, I made the massive error of thinking of it as a retirement project. As I've said before, I was forgetting that along with old age there often comes ill-health. That's what I'm struggling with now. But that's by the way. My main fault when building the layout was not finishing things. I've mentioned this before, too, and that my reason for starting the thread was to impose some discipline on myself. This has worked. I have a list and I'm not moving from it till a particular task is complete. But back to the health issue, I'm struggling to draw a proper track-plan with arthritically swollen fingers. But finish it I will, because, paradoxically, despite the discomfort, it is fun - the absolute necessity as you maintain.

The thing is, I really didn't expect much response when I started my thread. I thought I'd go along steadily and get support - supposing I deserved it - over time. But now I have nineteen followers after publishing just three photographs and a couple of pages of words! I'm quite blown away by the support I'm getting. I suppose the magic words of *ecml* help, but I feel rather honoured by it all.

I notice you've seen the post I made made on Wright writes that I'm alluding to with Matthew. Thanks for your support with that. I don't think many people would argue if I say the two top ecml layouts on RMweb are Peterborough North and Little Bytham. Built and run by men with a lifetime of practical knowledge in the subject, and supported by others who are equally skilled, these layouts have been published regularly in the magazines. So, an available source of information to us of lesser knowledge and skills?... Reading the threads, yes, but posting basic questions on them? You rarely see it. I am furious with myself that I feel like nervous schoolboy posting on them, and when I do I end up with a nasty feeling of sycophancy.

Perhaps it's just me. I know you are fortunate to have Gilbert Barnatt as a supporter. Also, your layout is far, far more developed than mine. But I still feel that this hierarchical thing stands in the way of newcomers to the hobby. Imagine some teenager, tickled by his Grandfather's tales of the ecml in the fifties, searches the forum and comes upon this stuff. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was overcome with a feeling of inadequacy, stunned by talk that makes rivet-counting mere childs play: you have to have this amount of space, you have to be able to build your own locos, as off the shelf stuff - unless hugely modified and weathered - is for the less serious hobbyist with precious little to offer.

Perhaps it's me. But I make it my business to greet every newcomer on my thread - it's simply polite - but there's no guarantee of such on these threads, none at all. Maybe I'm paranoid.

The bottom line, as you quite rightly say, is to have fun! With the serious input on these threads, I sometimes think that is forgotten. Not necessarily Tony, and not necessarily Gilbert, but there are some who seem to broadcast from pedestals... 

I'm humming and hawing to myself about posting this. I might end up getting my hand slapped for being disrespectful. Well, we all deserve respect...

Tell you something, Tony: if Peterborough and Bytham are the top two - you'd be heading for number three in my book, but for the location. Having said which, I'm ashamed to say I don't know where Wakefield is! - must get out my atlas. (L8r - Idiot that I am, I should have realised it was between Leeds and Doncaster, and so qualifies) But, forum wise, you acknowledge you are still learning, and  you are approachable, and that's what's important.

My main accolade is an accident: I was born in 1948 - I saw the real thing daily. What I saw and felt is what I want to put across, even if I am dependent on out-of-the-box.

Thanks for looking in, Tony. ;)

Hal.

• RMweb Gold

Hal,

If what you can achieve meets your own expectations, whether that's handbuilt track or Peco Code 100, or scratch built locos or Bachmann's out of the box, then that's all you need to aim for.

Yes, the likes of Allan Downes, Iain C Robinson, Peter Leyland, Chris Tooth & Il Dettorri can make excellent buildings, probably far better than I ever will, but I know mine improve each time.

If your EMCL is as good as you can do, then so what if there are others which you consider are better?

As others have said, you've made a great start - just crack on with it at your own pace & skill level and we'll all watch & admire.

Stu

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm going to think long and hard before I give you a proper response. There's a reason for this, something I'm pondering over relative to another thread. How something turns out on that thread is likely to effect what I say. It's of a hierarchical nature.  I know - weird! But bear with me. ;)

Kind Regards,

Hal

Hello again, Matthew,

If you read my response to Tony  (one hell of a layout- follow his thread!) I have axes to grind. All I can say to you is that everything I offer as advice will be factual as far as I'm concerned, but I'm happy for others to chip in and put me right. You're very welcome with any questions on here. I'll point you in the right direction if I'm unsure myself.

The track-plan is crucial. I've been working off a scribbled version that is OK for me, but I still need to present a proper one, and my layout is very unusual in a few ways that might surprise people. The law upon which prototype layouts are based is a difficult area for the newcomer. I learned by studying plans over the years, till I saw the common factors, and understood what must and must not be done. Browsing the C J Freezer plan books was useful to me. The Peco set-track plan books follow the rules and can provide a basis for a more advanced layout. Anyway, feel free to pop in with anything at all - and by all means photograph and put your plan up here - I'd be honoured. Someone will be able to help you.

Hal

Archived