SZU system Zurich.

Mick Boyd

I came across a picture of a SZU system emu the other day and was intrigued to see that the pantographs were offset and mounted on the roof side rather than been centrally mounted.  Does anybody know the reason why?  I've also seen this type of mounting on other emu's and locos without realising why.

See: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=511895&nseq=1

Thanks in anticipation.  Regards, Mick.

• RMweb Premium

Mick,

This is because the Uetliberg line is electrified at 1.2 kV DC rather than the 15 kV AC used on most of the remaining Swiss standard gauge network. As trains for Uetliberg were routed into Zurich Central Station and therefore required to use the connecting line from Selnau to Central Station, but the remainder of the Uetliberg line not converted to AC at the time, the solution were the offset DC OHLE and pantographs. Interestingly, the new Stadler-built EMUs for this line are designed with movable pantographs which can be positioned offset for the Uetliberg line, or centred for operation on AC lines.

Hope this helps,

Dom

As it happens, the formerly independent Uetliberg-Bahn had this arrangement ever since electrification in 1922 (I take it that 1216 is referring to the extension down to Zürich HB in 1990). There were plans to eventually integrate the line into the local tramway network, which also explains the reduced width of the original electric stock. The line will probably be switched to 15kV as soon as the 1993 stock is retired, but don't hold your breath!

• RMweb Premium

As it happens, the formerly independent Uetliberg-Bahn had this arrangement ever since electrification in 1922 (I take it that 1216 is referring to the extension down to Zürich HB in 1990). There were plans to eventually integrate the line into the local tramway network, which also explains the reduced width of the original electric stock. The line will probably be switched to 15kV as soon as the 1993 stock is retired, but don't hold your breath!

I understand the idea for conversion to 15 kV has been kicked around repeatedly, but I, too, know of no definite plans for implementation. The new Be 556 series EMUs, which I mentioned further up, could also be used on the Sihltal route which in Zurich's extensive suburban network is the S4 line. That line is usually worked by push-pull formations of class Re 456 electrics and single or double deck coaches. SZU actually purchased two full DPZ double deck sets from SBB in 2008 and 2009 to bolster their inventory.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes. However the Uetliberg trains don't stop at Giesshubel because their track branches off as they are passing that station.  You can see that the middle track heading towards Zürich in this photo has both DC and AC catenary.

http://www.bahnbilder.de/bild/Schweiz~Privatbahnen~SZU+Sihltal+Zurich+Uetliberg+Bahn/845588/szu---einfahrender-regio-im-bahnhof.html

Shortly before going underground there is a cross over which means that both tracks via Bhf Selnau to Zürich HB have DC and AC catenary.

Archived