Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling Like You are a Kid Again

Ever get tired with how long it takes to produce a model ?

I often shock myself just how much sheer effort and time is involved in producing a decent model. Mind you most cost more than the £2.99 this one cost me.

post-20732-0-20622800-1419934758.jpg

Just for laughs I decided to build this kit just like I was 11 years old all over again. I used a small handful of tools - paints that were 'about the right colour' and just glued the entire thing together without giving any thought about how I would paint it after with all those tricky bits fitted. I didn't use any filler and I decided I would build the entire model in a whole weekend. Hang on I can't give a whole weekend to this - I have Saturday morning TV to watch, then down the park on my bike, fish fingers for tea and my Dad is taking me fishing at the pond for a few hours tomorrow.

post-20732-0-59158800-1419934758.jpg

post-20732-0-37193900-1419934759.jpg

So I completely built and painted this in 2 hours and 49 minutes spread over the weekend ( I timed every moment spent on it except of course drying times ) - actually drying times is interesting as I didn't have time for anything to dry properly but I am pretty sure I didn't have the patience for that when I was 11.

Anyway here it is - not a show winning model - its not meant to be but it was a nice reality check ( I have spent 46 hours painting one 7mm size figure before now )

post-20732-0-79801800-1419934759.jpg

post-20732-0-17707500-1419934760.jpg

post-20732-0-55003200-1419934760.jpg

I reckon you've made a fine job of that. It would have been nice to see the bare cockpit interior and crude seat, along with the pilot moulding (which was usually surprisingly good).

Or are they not allowed to include a pilot nowadays for some inexplicable reason. (moan, moan, grumble, grumble)

Agreed - despite regular clearouts I still have more stuff to build then even the most optimistic lifespan would allow for if they are all 'grand projects' - so (especially with the kits from older Airfix tooling) I have taken to doing a fair few in the spirit in which they were intended, over a couple of evenings - it's very satisfying!

The odd one has been done in true vintage style - I had a started Bristol Beaufighter 1950s issue Airfix kit which was of negligible value to collectors so it got the slightly lurid gloss paint treatment with 'silver' plastic left unpainted for the bare metal bits.

I reckon you've made a fine job of that. It would have been nice to see the bare cockpit interior and crude seat, along with the pilot moulding (which was usually surprisingly good).

Or are they not allowed to include a pilot nowadays for some inexplicable reason. (moan, moan, grumble, grumble)

Hi Flood

The kit does include a pilot, seat and a dash but it was all about the time constraints I set myself. If I was to do this again ( and I might ) then I think I would glue those bits in and just paint the entire interior black and keep the canopy clear and paint the canopy ribbing in by hand. Masking is simply out of the equation in the time I allotted myself - especially on something like a Hurricane.

Fish fingers for tea - I didn't know fish had fingers !!!!!!!!!

Yes though, modelling back ages ago was a whole lot different. The Airfix 2 shilling kits (2 bob was my weekly pocket money back in the 60's) - my favourite was the EE Lightning. Made (and wrecked) a few. Happy days.

Brit15

...my favourite was the EE Lightning. Made (and wrecked) a few. Happy days....

My favourite too. One of mine got wrecked in a small wind tunnel at BAE (GW) St Evenage, during a family open day. It held out to about 75 knots when severe flutters commenced and it re-kitted unbelievably fast. That was after getting inside a Chieftain in the cold dry test chamber, and followed by the destruction of an entire Soviet tank division using Swingfire on the simulators. Today's kids just don't get to enjoy themselves like that.

I had a paper round but never seemed to have much cash left on payday

I usually left the newsagent where I worked on payday with an Airfix kit, a copy of Warlord comic and a handful of Blackjack sweets

I remember they had the bagged Airfix kits on one of those twirly display stands with the prongs on - I seem to remember most newsagents stocked Airfix back then - if not a trip to Woolworths would give you a bigger selection - getting one from Woolworths would give you time to open the box and read the instructions on the bus home.

A local art supply/stationers currently has one of these boxes in their window:

http://nofineline.com/blog/e-e-lightning-matchbox-172/

- Not for much longer though ;)

I won second prize in a Cub Scouts modelling competition about 1980 with this kit. Apparently the reason it wasn't placed higher was that I made it as an Out Of The Box build rather than modifying it. That must have been the demon collector in me trying to get out :no:  

You bu99ers have got me wanting to mash up a bunch of Heljan-Hales seventies buildings, for all their shortcomings.  

To take the edge off, I'm re-wheeling gunpowder vans over a coffee, chuckling at the madness on Jeremy Kyle.

I reckon that I have a pretty good dose of 11 year old mentality with my 'train set' I have provision for an R403 operating ore set, which discharges in to a R8131 conveyor, and of course the R416 operating mail coach.  Mind you I would not go as far as the giraffe car, because apart from anything else I have working OLE - Zap!

• Administrators

I reckon that I have a pretty good dose of 11 year old mentality with my 'train set' I have provision for an R403 operating ore set, which discharges in to a R8131 conveyor, and of course the R416 operating mail coach.  Mind you I would not go as far as the giraffe car, because apart from anything else I have working OLE - Zap!

Nothing wrong with Giraffe cars. The 9 I have are fine and one day will be pulled by the Davy Crocket with some old American coaches for the keepers.

The ore car and conveyer setup is good too. I wonder why Hornby don't re-release all this stuff as it's much more fun than proper model railways.

• Administrators

I've just finished building an Airfix kit, picked up for no money in their Black Friday sale, for a Comet. As well as being fun to build, I like to think that this sort of side project is useful for learning new techniques that perhaps you wouldn't want to try on a serious build.

Full story on my blog, complete with cock-ups.

15488966674_be4ce36d71.jpg

Archived