Emily laid bare: A Stirling effort

Although Bachmann's Emily is quoted as HO it is more like OO in general dimensions.

Funny that isn't it? The OO compromise is a pretty natural outcome of commercial parts for a mechanism that has to fit inside a small model. When you start looking at models of small early locos from countries various that use HO for models; a quick check with ruler and prototype dimensions often reveals that it is what we in the UK call OO. It's forced in width by features like splashers or other structure enclosing wheelsets, and then if the rest of the model is not to look ill proportioned the same scale expansion has to be applied elsewhere.

Another paper template created using Inkscape to check the new window positions. Again not strictly to scale as Emily's boiler is larger than the prototype. Stuck in place with a glue stick:

post-3717-0-47531000-1420153084_thumb.jpg

The centres were scribed and the windows drilled out to 5mm in a number of incremental stages:

post-3717-0-67563800-1420153141_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike, it's looking great. You've inspired me to get on with something I've been thinking about for a while. (Rather than just talking about it). Oh, and not 3D printing either!

• Like 3

Sorry, meant valve cover. That brass thingy.

I have now used the razor saw to remove the coal rails from the tender top then posed some images to assess the current state of play. The slight height difference between loco and tender is where the rear of the loco is not quite seated properly. Brass thingy temporarily in place.

post-3717-0-79505900-1420198115_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-57794200-1420198116_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-15672800-1420198117_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-89084100-1420198117_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-40244500-1420198118_thumb.jpg

BTW, for those not aware Emily's tender is closer to the tenders fitted to the Singles, the preserved No 1 is not currently coupled to the correct tender. I say "currently" as the NRM are in the process of resolving this issue,

• Like 12

I mentioned early on that the motion was too low in the cylinders so I have had a go at tackling this issue.

Front recess cut out of cylinder moulding:

post-3717-0-52609400-1420205723_thumb.jpg

The rear of the body moulding needs trimming down to allow the cylinders to sit higher in the body:

post-3717-0-14475400-1420205724_thumb.jpg

A trial fitting shows how much it is possible to reposition the cylinders:

post-3717-0-12288600-1420205725_thumb.jpg

In order to make it easier to get the body off of the chassis I taped up the gears and cut off the projecting mounting for the moving eye mechanism:

post-3717-0-95644100-1420205725_thumb.jpg

Adding a 1mm spacer to the cylinder moulding and trial fitting the body the cylinder aligmnet is now as shown. Much better: 

post-3717-0-60664000-1420205726_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Getting there:

attachicon.gifIMG_8160.JPG

Hi Mike,

Fabulous work indeed.

Its begining to get difficult to actually believe that your Stirling really did start out as Emily such is the excellent work you have done.

Am following this with great interest as i've a couple of old Kitmaster locos awaiting a plan to come together to do one as a proper Stirling Single and the other as a better Emily for our Thomas layout to replace the Hornby effort.

Looking forward to seeing yet more.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

However a 3D printed chimney, dome cover and smokebox door would be a useful thing to have ;-)

Right you are - it's not like I don't have some plans :) I'll get on it this evening as I need a couple of bits for my Ivatt.

What's your boiler diameter and the diameter of the hole at the front?

(Edited as I picked up the wrong quote)

Right you are - it's not like I don't have some plans :) I'll get on it this evening as I need a couple of bits for my Ivatt.

What's your boiler diameter and the diameter of the hole at the front?

(Edited as I picked up the wrong quote)

Well volunteered that man! The smokebox diameter is 24mm with a 16mm hole which is overscale compared to 20mm and 13.33mm of the prototype. I had assumed the best approach was to go with a scale door, but am now thinking it will need to be scaled up to suit Emily's dimensions (which is a shame) or it will look odd.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

Well, I've a Ramsbottom safety valve cover, smokebox door with hinges and a chimney for you tonight.

Chimney

It looks like there are 8 rivets on there. The flange at the bottom is 0.7mm thick, so I've adjusted the chimney slightly to take this into account. This means that the chimney is still the same height as on the plans. At there moment there is no locating peg, but one can be easily added.

post-14192-0-15165900-1420269332.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/model/3000183/sirling-single-chimney.html?li=aeTabs&materialId=6

Ramsbottom Safety Valve Cover

Same thickness flange as before, no peg at the moment.

post-14192-0-97884900-1420269460.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/model/3000195/sirling-single-ramsbottom-safety-valve-cover.html?li=shop-results&materialId=99

Smokebox Door

The door should be a push fit, it's diameter is 15.99mm. That said, the hinges on the right could cause a problem as the have to have some thickness to them. The choice would be to file the backs of them (though they are v small), or file them off and create your own.

post-14192-0-05584200-1420269477.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/model/3000091/sirling-single-smokebox-door.html?li=aeTabs&materialId=61

I need to go over the measurements again tomorrow - measure twice cut once and all that, but I think they are spot on. I can do buffers, but I'm afraid I've run out of time this evening. The links are there if you want to have a look at the model's page and click on the blue box to spin it around.

I'll send Andy Y a quick email as I don't want to cross any lines on putting links up here.

cheers

Jason

• Like 9

Jason, they look brilliant. I could have turned some for myself using a lathe but I always feel as if I am cheating using it as others cannot benefit as easily. This resolves the issue beautifully.

If I can talk you into doing cylinder covers with nuts (10mm dia) and buffer and tender vents that would sort the whole loco?

Some minor progress.

Tender interior removed:

post-3717-0-40119800-1420283649_thumb.jpg

New interior started following the prototype:

post-3717-0-02795300-1420283650_thumb.jpg

Front frame extensions cut back/reprofiled and lifting holes drilled. Note that I have started filing the gaps on top of the side tanks/splashers:

post-3717-0-76175100-1420283650_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

What a fascinating thread to read, and what a project to undertake. Like others have said, this will be of absolutely no use to me what-so-ever (did it ever run on ex GER metals in the 50's? - No, I didn't think so! :-) ), but I look forward to seeing the completed project.

The one comment that I like most is where you say you're enjoying the project, Mike. That's what this hobby is all about so more power to your elbow and a medal for bravery in the face of adverse conditions.

Phil

As this very enjoyable project impressively races to a conclusion, the looming prob-a-lob is what to do about appearance when racing along the line. Numerous photos showing these machines when working hard, there is consistently a volcanic volume of dark exhaust, usually thrown clear the full height of the loco again above the chimney top, before trailing and spreading behind as a vast cloud. (The coal consumption must have been something!)

Shaped pipe cleaner down chimney with cotton wool suitably dusted with poster paint arranged around it?

You won't be taking any pictures as bad as the ones I took this afternoon then! There was a nice bit of unusual vintage guest stock on Gamston Bank layout, including a Stirling Single!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64295-wright-writes/?p=1727377

It just as well that our allies in Canada have come to the recue with a safety valve bonnet. I had a look this morning 'cos I knew I had some brass ones put away, but none are correct for your needs. You'd have been welcome to one of them had they been correct, since they cost me nothing and I'm unlikely to use them. I did find a dull metal one (possibly whitemetal or even die-cast) with the right overall shape but it has a flat base suitable only for a Belpaire firebox.