Low Odour Solvent Weld - Help Needed Please.

CME and Bottlewasher

Hi All, :)

Not sure if this is the best place to Post this, but here goes. :help:

I have, for a number of years, used a lot of Deluxe Materials' products, with great results. :imsohappy:  :yes:

I was a big fan of their Plastic Magic and had several bottles always in stock, tonight I started a new bottle, which is their 'new and improved' version. According to Deluxe, they informed me that the new version would be more environmentally friendly with less odour and just as effective or even better, so I was expecting a great product again from this trusted supplier.

When I opened the new Plastic Magic tonight the odour was worse than the original version and nearly took my breath away - it stripped the paint from the application brush in the blink of an eye. The older version worked well, ABS needed a little 'flooding', but I could even distress paint with it for weathering (the latest version would, judging by it's performance, strip paint right off in an instant). Whilst the 'improved performance' of the product isnt a big issue, the fumes are - for me they are anyway. :stink:

I do have a problems with my chest these days - due to welding and chemical sensitivities acquired over the years no doubt - so the new Plastic Magic has slowed my modelling for tonight, to a halt, I hope that it hasnt ruined plastic kit building for me for good :stink:

BTW I will get in touch with Deluxe after the hols, because up to this point I have been a very happy customer and I feel it only fair to let them know of my experiences with Plastic Magic - but I cant see them changing production/product just for my needs.

I have extractor fans and masks for airbrushing but who wants to have to use those when putting a plastic kit together.

This may sound like a contradiction in terms, but can anyone recommend a good, low odour, solvent?

I know that I am older and wiser more cynical these days, but now, whenever I read new and improved (or similar) on a label, I think/say out aloud, "great that's something else that wont do what it used to the way that it used to then!" :derisive:  :no:  :angel:

Thanks in anticipation.

CME :)

• RMweb Gold

If you're working with polystyrene, then you could try d-limonene, it's a citrus oil based solvent that has a low odour (of oranges!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonene

it's slower acting than solvents like MEK but it still gives a good bond on styrene.  Ineffective on ABS though.

Easily available on eBay and not expensive.

Mark

If you're working with polystyrene, then you could try d-limonene, it's a citrus oil based solvent that has a low odour (of oranges!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonene

it's slower acting than solvents like MEK but it still gives a good bond on styrene.  Ineffective on ABS though.

Easily available on eBay and not expensive.

Mark

Hi Mark, :)

Thanks. :imsohappy:

Yes using styrene and putting together Parkside Dundas and Slaters' kits etc. (I can always use the Plastic Magic for the ABS parts).

Have you got a brand name or preferred source?

Kindest,

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark, :)

Thanks. :imsohappy:

Yes using styrene and putting together Parkside Dundas and Slaters' kits etc. (I can always use the Plastic Magic for the ABS parts).

Have you got a brand name or preferred source?

Kindest,

Not really, I just took a punt on a half litre bottle from the cheapest eBay seller.  I also ordered some of the Tamiya limonene solvent to see what it was like.  Not a huge difference.  The Tamiya stuff was a bit more viscous.

Mark

Limonene is available from Wizard Models, but only at shows. Having got used to the strange smell, it's now my first choice plastic adhesive. It can be used to dissolve spruce shavings to make a plastic filler (where it's similar to the original Slaters Mek-Pak).

Limonene is available from Wizard Models, but only at shows. Having got used to the strange smell, it's now my first choice plastic adhesive. It can be used to dissolve spruce shavings to make a plastic filler (where it's similar to the original Slaters Mek-Pak).

That should have been "sprue" (or any shavings of scrap plastic), not "spruce"!!!

Hi Rambler,

Many thanks, I didnt fancy buying a 5 litre can of the stuff :derisive:  :)  so a small pot will suffice as a trial. I too used to make my own filler that way - I like Deluxe's acrlics filler as that is fast drying and can be worked with water for a smooth finish from the start, but it wont do all applications, other brands with lots of VOC's tends to go off in the tube. So although home made is slow setting it would work for me!

Thanks Branwell - that give me a couple of sources now :yes:  :imsohappy:

That should have been "sprue" (or any shavings of scrap plastic), not "spruce"!!!

I know, but I was too polite to point it out old-chap :)

Q: One other question, when the specs says that D-LIMONENE isnt for 'hard-plastics' does that mean kits (parts thereof) by the likes of Airfix, Slaters, Parkside, Revell et al? Apart from ABS, most solvents seem to weld most plastics, but is this, the same, true for D-Limonene?

Thanks guys, this has been a real help.

Kindest,

CME

D-Limonene is fine for styrene which is typically used for Airfix/Slaters/Ratio etc kits.

If buying from t'internet make sure you get the right kind, there are different grades. This is the one I use which works fine: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laboratory-solvents-d-limonene-dipentene-250ml-/161256571522?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item258ba40282

As an aside some solvents can cause warping when used with styrene sheet. Deluxe Plasitic Magic was one of the worst offenders. D-limonene tends to be far less prone to this.

D-Limonene is fine for styrene which is typically used for Airfix/Slaters/Ratio etc kits.

If buying from t'internet make sure you get the right kind, there are different grades. This is the one I use which works fine: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laboratory-solvents-d-limonene-dipentene-250ml-/161256571522?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item258ba40282

As an aside some solvents can cause warping when used with styrene sheet. Deluxe Plasitic Magic was one of the worst offenders. D-limonene tends to be far less prone to this.

Hi Mike,

Bless you that's great news - when I clicked on your Link, I noticed it's one of the one's I clicked the 'watch' button for (late at night and bleary eyed :) ).

Interesting you should say that about Deluxe's PM, I hadnt used it on many sheets of styrene - mostly kits - but you are right there was a higher propensity for it warping the sheet et al - strange that.

Looks like I can get better results - health-wise too - all round with D-Limonene! :imsohappy:

With thanks and kind regards,

CME

Archived