Westbury - A 'roundy roundy' Modern Layout

MatthewEWS

Hello Everyone and welcome to the topic for my new layout - Westbury Circular (Working Title subject to change)

This is my first 'proper' layout set in an area I love - Wiltshire. Armed with an abundance of Christmas money and some good upcoming releases from manufacturers I'm going for it. My plan is for it to be a Hybrid layout - one loop DCC and One DC to give me the best of both worlds. Despite being called Westbury the track plan bears no resemblance to the real Westbury however does incorporate some real life features. The track plan is circular (hence the name) and based on similar layouts such as Windward, Edinburgh Junction and Hollybrook. I have attached the track plan so please give your feedback. Some features which I will be including are: a Permanent Way Depot (see one of my other topics), Construction site, and some sidings. It will have a platform and various other buildings along the roads. This layout will see a lot of freight workings (Mendip Stones, Engineering trains etc) with passenger services being taken care of by Class 150's and Class 153's in First Great Western livery, produced/being produced by Bachmann and Hornby respectively. An odd FGW HST may also make an appearance along with a steam special.

I look forward to your feedback and will give further updates soon

Regards,

Matthew

post-21576-0-72079800-1420038646_thumb.jpg

UPDATE:

- The Track plan has now changed (see attached) to a similar but different design

- Will be initially be operated as DC Only before being converted to a Hybrid System

- Board Construction due to start in the coming weeks followed by track laying

More updates to come

Matthew

post-21576-0-72456400-1420289655_thumb.png

One obvious issue springs to mind - you say one part DC and the other DCC - that will cause you problems if there is any "bridging" ie a train going avoiding line to goods line. 

With the goods line being on the outside and the sidings - presumably the goods sidings - that'll mean trains will cross from DCC to non-DCC section and you may find that you fry chips that way, not to mention the problem of non-chipped locos on a DCC line and the annoying buzz (not to mention it's not recommended for any length of time).

• 4 weeks later...

One little look at the layout, I would swap the HST/avoiding line to the outside line, as the HST can then be set in motion or stopped without interfering with any shunting or local units running, you could then dispense with the crossover and use the two points for more sidings or another loop in the middle, then you would be able to try out dcc on the outer loop and keep the dc for the Middle or visa versa

Update:

New boards are arriving this weekend and track will be laid down. Once it has all been tested then track will be pinned, electrics installed and ballasted.  Then scenery will be started. The layout will host a construction site, network rail depot, ambulance station, royal mail sorting office and some areas of green land.

I look forward to getting started

Matthew

Hello Everyone

Just a quick update: all the boards are now laid, along with the track. Most electrics were completed yesterday. I have attached a picture to show the layout in its current state. The road has been put down and there will be a side road coming off it leading to some other buildings.

Next on the purchase list are some Hornby First Great Western MK3 coaches with money I received for my birthday. I also received an Oxford Diecast Lotus police car and a Scania Stobart Rail Crane lorry as well

More pictures and updates will be uploaded soon

Thanks

Matthew

post-21576-0-04862500-1423677017.jpg

Hello,

Just a few updates regarding the layout. Firstly I have added a new siding at the front of the layout, currently this is being used to store the MPV but in time will also be used to stable FGW DMU's. Secondly, I have finished laying the road and started to place some of the vehicles and buildings used from my collection. Finally, I have bought a Hornby MK3 FGW Coach to start forming a FGW HST set for the layout. It is currently seen sitting in the station.

That's all for now,

Matthew

post-21576-0-88651700-1424271792.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

Just a quick update for you, not much has occurred since the last. The main change Is the permanent way depot now has a base. Once again I have used notebook card as I find it represents the concrete surface quite well. Next to do Is sort the station car park and purchase some new rolling stock. I will upload some pictures later of the latest changes.

Thanks

Matthew

Hello Everyone

As per the last post, I have attached a picture of the depot base. I have also purchased a new engine. Although it is not strictly prototypical, I am using a modellers license to run a range of unique FGW loco hauled services. The engine is yet to arrive but will be puling FGW Mk3s in the latest livery.

Thanks

Matthew

post-21576-0-69829900-1425671724.jpg

post-21576-0-33466400-1425671738.jpg

So am I! I've changed the track plan again slightly, adding two sidings opposite the station which will be used to stable DMUs, Tampers and some other items. Ballast should follow soon. In terms of scenery much of it is an urban landscape but I still have a largish area to fill. It can be seen in Post #14 behind the P-Way depot (there is an underscale helicopter there currently), if anyone has any ideas as to what could go there please post them.

Thanks for everyone's continued support

Matthew

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Mainly a scenic update today, with news on my latest project. I've done quite a lot of scenic work on the layout this weekend, firstly laying some scenic matting for the building site. Fence still needs to be added along with some other junk and vehicles. The picture doesn't show it but the matting is uneven - giving the impression of bumpy land. Secondly I have added gravel at the end of the platform and in front of the Network Rail depot. There was a similar feature on my last layout and currently positioned on there is a stobart rail van and big bags for an upcoming project. Moving on, my next project is to fit a signal gantry spanning the lines at the end of the station. It will have three 4 aspect signals controlled by switches on the control board. I am hoping to start this within the next week so what out for further updates.

That's all for now folks, stay tuned for further updates in the coming weeks

regards

Matthew

post-21576-0-23866600-1426954952.jpg

post-21576-0-53803900-1426955010.jpg

Hello Everyone,

Two things, first of all I have purchased another FGW Mk3 today to go with my FGW 47 and other Mk3. Secondly you may remember in the earlier posts I talked about DCC. The news I by the end of the next week the layout should be fully DCC. I have purchased chips for my MPV and Class 08 for the time being and gradually more chips will be purchased. In the future I hope to add sound etc.

That's all for now

Matthew

• 2 weeks later...

Archived