Modellers from Kent, Sussex, Surrey and South of the Thames

SECAG Modular Meet

Pick a date...  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which date(s) are possible for you?

• Saturday 9 May 2015
    • Sunday 10 May 2015
    • Saturday 16 May 2015
    • Sunday 17 May 2015
    • Saturday 6th June 2015
    • Sunday 14th June 2015
    • Sunday 21st June 2015
    • Saturday 27th June 2015
    • Later in the year would be better

Hi I've added 3 dates the 9th May and 27th June would probably just be with a small (2ft) straight single track board (not yet started) as I would probably just have to come down in my Car.

The 17th May is my prefered date but is lagging behind in the poll but I would get a Van and bring my "Bankside" module.

If it were one of the other dates that I couldn't make I could possibly chip in to assist with the costs as I would still like to see the concept work.

Also If there are any dates further on in the year these would be good for me....

4th/5th July or 11th/12th July 2015

14th/15th November 2015

6th/7th Feb 2016 

13th/14th Feb 2016

Cheers

Steve

Even a 2ft board will help, as the more "mix and match" we can come up with the easier it is to put together some kind of worthwhile arrangement.

Dates are still playing out but we'll see what happens as I believe I may be able to sort out a 'special treat' for the day, if everything goes to plan.

Apologies, I obviously hadn't voted  - but have now. I'm just starting on a cassette fiddle yard as per the Hornby Twelve trees junction yard, which would be ready then. It will use 18mm plywood open cassettes 60mm wide, with code 75 rail directly on top - nice and simple. The design was in the last issue, IIRC.

Robin

Shillingstone is back in the study for another few weeks work before I'm at tunbridge wells, not sure when I'm going to get the cassette fiddle yards stated but will be interested to see other peoples.. Need to get the electrics sorted and then I can start ballasting. Looks like enough of us for some sort of get together which is great

Anyone around at Erith this weekend say hello , I'll be with Crawley yard as part of the WSNG modular layout.

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick update to my situation regarding the meet. I have had to temporarily donate my modelling space to a couple of my employees after they became homeless thanks to the landlord wanting the house back and not finding anywhere. So I most likely wont be able to bring a module along with me but would still love to attend and meet people. However there is some hope as one of my employees has offered to help building a module so I could still have one but I doubt it.

Gary

We haven't got a date so it may be that things are 'sorted' in good time - however as long as we have sufficient modules to make a meet worthwhile in the first place, and capacity for spectators, then you'd be more than welcome to join us.

Even just bringing along a compatible controller may well be sufficient - remember at this stage we're trying to "prove the concept" as Modular currently stands, that random individuals can get together and put their boards together in any order, and still run trains throughout.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if you're any further forward with selecting a date it still seems to be around the 6 mark at the maximum so perhaps still waiting for a surge.

I notice you are having a regional Curry night in March perhaps more people may sign up after that.

Steve

Still chasing the venue to confirm availability (as it's been a couple of months) on the three most popular dates before I can confirm - believe me, I want to get something locked down and get on with it too!

We can work with 6 people I am sure - although as you note, once we have a date set more people who have been dithering about it may decide "what the hell" and start something even if its only a plain board and join in.

• 3 weeks later...

PROGRESS!!!!

Awaiting final confirmation but I believe that Saturday 27th June is a 'goer'.  Once I receive that confirmation email I will make a new thread with instructions on where we go from here.

To recap:

Venue: Merstham, Surrey (not far from M25/M23/A23 junctions).

Cost: Dependent on numbers but I believe the total day will cost less than £200 divided by the amount of participants.  I suggest we work on £20 per head and 10 people (well 9 including me) expressing an interest, if more people come along to reduce per person costs we will decide amongst us whether to refund or keep the cash towards future meets.

Modules: Any functional modules, single or double track, welcome.  As long as they are built to the RMWeb standard and have sufficiently working track to get from one end of the module to the other, it doesn't matter if sidings etc aren't working, any non-essential point motors and other wiring isn't working, or scenery is imcomplete.  The idea is to test the standard and see if a group of individuals who have never put their boards together before can create a functional model railway.

Control: DCC.  Lenz standard or compatible, I also hope to provide a laptop/JRMI/wifi setup which will allow suitably equipped mobile phones and tablets to operate trains as well. 

Lunch: Bring your own but tea, coffee and squash will be provided.

Transport: Plenty of on site parking - it's a bit of a hike from the station so I will be asking in the signup paperwork if you are willing to offer lifts to others from your direction, or if you need a lift to attend.

There's a few more things I'm waiting to hear back on that once all is confirmed I will make a new thread and provide instructions for signing up.  I'll require details of modules that you are willing to commit to getting to a suitable standard by the end of June, which will enable me to plan how they all fit together.  30, 45, 60 and 90 degree curved modules and any junctions will be particularly welcome to maximise space utilisation.

It's really happening... (hopefully!)  more info to come soon.

(cross posted to several relevant threads to make sure everyone who may be interested picks it up).

It may take me a little while to get definite confirmation of the date (given it's taken me 6 weeks to get this far...) but it's worth making that enquiry now for sure :)

I'm just working on the signing up forms now which I will send to everyone expressing an interest once I am able to confirm happenings.

It could be a very interesting day :)

Great news. I've put it in the diary. A target to aim at last, nothing like a deadline to wake up the motivating cells.

Personally, I think you should be entitled to free entry (at least) for all the work put into arranging this.

Only thing missing? time of start and time of breakdown (of the modules - ie. end of meet) being some distance away I need to know so that I can arrange o/n or not.

That'll be in the full announcement once the venue confirms but my plan for the day is

• Arrive from 9am
  • Aim to be running by 11am
  • Lunch 12.30pm
  • Afternoon running session 1.15pm
  • Break down from 3.30pm
  • Aim to be all cleaned up and "out of the door" by 5pm

Of course this all depends on numbers attending, if there are 10 of us clearly there's a lot less putting up/taking down involved than if 50 turn up (although if 50 wanted to come we would need to look at a larger venue - yes the site has several options).

If we wanted to book a longer session into the evening then the cost would increase, but if that is balanced out by a couple of extra people attending then it may be something worth looking into - possibly also with the aim of either an optional evening "curry and a pint" nearby for those that didn't have such a long distance to travel (or didn't mind staying overnight).

As I said previously, a lot of this will all be down to final numbers which we won't really know until applications are open.

I understand the thought about me having free entry but that sets a precedent, I'm happy to pay my share then when someone else wants to organise a meet somewhere else it remains the same cost for everyone attending, instead of someone fighting to be organiser and saving themselves the cost of participating.  I wouldn't want people to think of me as a 'freeloader' just for making a few phone calls to book a venue.  Besides, I want to "play trains" too!

In your case, transport-wise Kenton, Google Maps shows about an hour's drive so it should be easily doable in a day.

instead of someone fighting to be organiser and saving themselves the cost of participating.

Having some appreciation of the work (and responsibility) involved, I doubt if the small saving will generate many takers for that role. You are more likely to be trying to pass the mantle.

In your case, transport-wise Kenton, Google Maps shows about an hour's drive so it should be easily doable in a day.

That all depends what state I'm in when I start out and finish!

Besides any excuse to get time off and a day out from the missus ... only jesting.

I doubt if the small saving will generate many takers for that role. You are more likely to be trying to pass the mantle.

The hope was that we would be able to alternate, one in the "north" of our area, and one more towards the coast, which may make it easier for different people to get to different meetings - I certainly don't want it to end up as a 'one man band' although of course it is very true that once a venue gets established it becomes easier as people get used to the journey/accommodation/people etc.

I have been an exhibition organiser in years past, and comparatively this one is (so far) a doddle.  Some people are administratively-minded, others are not.  Just like some are great with an airbrush or kitbuilding, and others are not.  We use our gifts in the best way that gives us the most out of what we expect out of modelling.

of course it is very true that once a venue gets established it becomes easier as people get used to the journey/accommodation/people etc.

Oh NO! a Club!

Not what Modular is about, there will be suggestions of a set format to join the modules together next :D :D

In a sense we are sort of a club alraedy - a group of individuals with a common interest - but have no fear, I have no desire to establish some sort of exclusive group where outsiders or those with differing opinions are shunned or ridiculed (I get enough of that myself elsewhere).

As far as I'm concerned, as long as it meets the standards as defined in the thread elsewhere in the forum, that's good enough for me.  I don't care what area, company or time period it is, or what trains go through it, the fun is giving your stock a decent stretch, being able to run to almost prototype practice, and most importantly, those participating have fun.

Modular is new to most of us.  Therefore there isn't a right or wrong way to do things as it is very possible that ours could be the very first "official" RMWeb modular (Dave) Meet and thus set a trend for others to follow.

Oh dear...

Still waiting for confirmation of the June date but very pleased to see that Andy Y has announced the 2015 RMWeb challenges, and "build something modular" is one of them which will hopefully boost our numbers and encourage some people to dip a toe into the waters and make things more viable for regional meetups.

Full details of what the 2015 modular challenge consists of are still to be announced but I am very hopeful that, next year, we will be able to hold a much larger meetup.   I have sorta volunteered to organise a south east regional one (the venue I hope to use fits itself perfectly to a large as well as a smaller modular meet) although of course the Warners team may well have ideas already that make my offer superfluous - but we'll see.

In the meantime... keep building :)

• RMweb Gold

Ok what have we got so far? Maybe a few plans from those of us interested in the first meet might help so we can see what would help. I'm still finishing Lulworth so can build extras to suit to an extent but it still has to fit in the car with Lulworth!

It will be about 12ft long with the adaptor board.

00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000825.jpg

Hi PaulRHB, may I perhaps suggest that you look at a "junction" style board so that your layout can be part of a branch, as it's a terminus?  Single or double track main to a single branch line  (forming "the rest of the world" to your module) would be great.

I have two ready so far - a 12ft long single track entrance fiddle yard that can hold six 8ft-ish trains at any given time, and a 11ft x 7ft monster "doughnut (well, more a =O shape)" which goes from a double track to two single tracks forming a return loop which saves trains being handled to "come back the other way".  It will be scenic but could also be used as a "holding area" for a sequence of trains to come back if that is preferred.

The rest of my modules in various states of creation are short, 4ft single or double track scenic feature boards that can be used as filler boards between stations and suchlike, and a single to double track converter board which enables my doughnut to join to my fiddle yard so single and double track boards can be put either side of that.

Corner and curved modules - plain or "with a purpose" such as a station, freight facility, passing loop etc) would be incredibly useful from anyone.

A 90 degree curve is simple.

Cutting list (I prefer 6mm MDF but you may prefer ply)

3: 4" x 18" (ends)

3: 4" x 19" (inner end)

3: 4" x 28" (outer end)

3: 28" x 17.5" (top surface)

Take the three 28" x 17.5" and measure in 4.5" from top left and top right corners.

Draw diagonal line from the 4.5" mark top left to bottom left corner, repeat top right mark to bottom right corner.

Carefully cut each diagonally to make a trapezoid board.  A little fettling may be needed to make a "perfect 90" although in most cases anything between 85 and 95 degrees overall shouldn't make a huge difference in a modular setup based on most people's inability to cut accurate angles will probably even itself out somewhere!

Drill appropriate pilot holes, and attach ends and frame with screws and glue, using small pieces of 1" square timber to strengthen.

That results in a 90 degree curve in three sections, which can give you double track at 40" and 42" radius, or single track at 41" radius using approx. 3 or 6 lengths of flexitrack. 

Overall floor footprint approx. 4ft 6" x 4ft 6".

Depending on height of scenery (and if any is detatchable) you should in theory be able to get that in a frame of 28" x 17.5" x 15" plus four pairs of legs.  How does that sound spacewise?

post-8328-0-34948200-1426429460.jpg

Kenton's Curve is still on the cards. Still needs legs, oh and of course scenery. Legs are the easy bit but at least a train should pass from one end to the other without falling off. I know it is boringly simple, heh but not quite as boring as a length of straight track.

Archived