Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

That looks much better Jeff; I didn't like it when it had gaps between the rocks but didn't get chance to tell you it looked crap :D

So kind.

So kind!

As you'll have noticed, I also didn't like it with the gaps...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike.

The very technical method I use - called the "Splodge" technique - was illustrated in the KL thread, page 261 - if you'd like to have a look.

I'll add the following....

I try to paint the rocks shortly after taking them out of the mould. The plaster is still a bit damp - it's trickier once it becomes bone dry and super porous. I use fairly dilute washes of acrylic paints. First, I saturate the rock face with a wash of pale (Dove) grey, so the rock is dripping wet. The dilutions equate to about 20:1 water:paint. I stand the rock on a piece of paper towel as the method is a bit messy!

Then I use the colours at hand to apply washes to the rock. Dip the paintbrush into the colour and literally let the paint just run down across the face. Then the next colour etc. I don't have a rigid pattern, but it goes something like darker grey, Earth (brown), lighter grey, repeat 2-3 times. Each wash leaves some of the acrylic on the face and the randomness is great. Because the rock face is very wet, you don't get strong concentrations of colour building up as blobs in one place.

After about 2-3 repeats (which takes 5 minutes in total), I get a finer brush and dip the end into very dilute black acrylic. Put the tip of the brush into a crack/crevice in the rock and the black runs down along the crevice, producing a bit of depth. If the strata are horizontal, turn the rock through 90 degrees to let the black run.

You can then leave the rock to dry for a while. I usually wait 1-2 hours before fixing them onto the Fell.

Each rock takes no more than 10 minutes to paint.

I used to try painting them in a conventional way, but by soaking the rock and letting the paint run, you get a more natural, varied result.

Hope this makes sense. I'm not an artist but thought "what the hell" - and just tried different methods until I was happy with the result. Some might not like what I make, but the results are what I want!

Jeff

• Like 2

Don't get too carried away with outcrops, Jeff. 

Before you plant any more, can I suggest you go back to your reference material, and remind yourself what "look" you are trying to achieve. 

post-8688-0-57405400-1457568386.jpg

For me, the fells are wide, rolling grass and heath... I'd be worried if you broke up the wonderful mass you have there with a few too many exposed rocks  (but then again, I'm staring at the Indian Ocean, and haven't seen Yorkshire in 20 years!  Carry on!)

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Scott.

I do agree with what you've said and there are only another five rock faces to fit in - in one clump, high up on the "inset" section.

40 rock faces, average area 50sq cm, total 2000sq cm.

Total Fell area - approx 30,000sq cm

That still means that 93% of the Fell is open - more, bearing in mind that over half the outcrops are in the tunnel cutting.

Hopefully, the rocks will provide a "local highlight"...

"Hey, look, there's Scott's Crag", or "Mankini Outcrop".

Thanks for keeping an eye on me!

Jeff

It takes a Physicsman to respond to a scenery question with maths - Ha!

I dont have Photoshop at work, so just roughed these up with Paint.  Maybe what I was thinking was to suggest that the further down the fell you got, the less frequent the rock was - and that the builders chose to tunnel there as the predominance of rock made it more stable. So perhaps smaller outcrops than near the tunnel?

As always - just offering a POV.  I'm sure you'll produce a great result.

post-8688-0-73494300-1457583500_thumb.jpg

post-8688-0-46247900-1457583515_thumb.jpg

Regards

Scott

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The last of the Fell's major rock outcrops have been fitted, so it's time to move on. I'll put a pic or two on here tomorrow.

Scott has made some very good points about the Fell, and I'm very keen to keep it dominated by grass, sheep and stone-walling. However, the odd bit of rock bursting through the soil adds a bit of variety.

I'll be thinking about the road underbridge over the next few days. Time to order some more plastikard!

Jeff

• Like 1

Someone has to keep you in check Jeff, I've tried (god have I tried)!  :jester:

I like the look of the fell and its definitely a less is more approach which is what you are achieving. Many thanks for the rock painting for idiots guide which made me think - "why didn't I think of that" no matter there's always another day and another layout Ooops no there's not this is my LGP!

• RMweb Premium

Someone has to keep you in check Jeff, I've tried (god have I tried)!  :jester:

I like the look of the fell and its definitely a less is more approach which is what you are achieving. Many thanks for the rock painting for idiots guide which made me think - "why didn't I think of that" no matter there's always another day and another layout Ooops no there's not this is my LGP!

Just keep trying - one day it'll work!!

I've fitted enough rocks for now, though I've a collection of 30+ boulders that'll be used at some stage. I've just placed an order for 40, 60 and 80 thou plastikard sheets, more dressed stone, micro-rodding, T and angle sections. Oh, plus some more bags of base turf for that "lil old fell" I'm a buildin'!

Will plan out the underbridge sections and get cracking on that over the next few days.

And btw, if you ARE extending Dent around another wall or so, well, it's an excellent move!

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Here are a couple more pics showing the extent of the rock outcrops on the Fell. Aside from a few dozen boulders (typically 2-3cm wide) there'll be no more "rockery" added.

post-13778-0-80572200-1457707486_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-14770200-1457707490_thumb.jpg

I'm currently measuring-up photos, and re-scaling them, for the road underbridge. This will be built from 4mm ply and sections of 12mm softwood that I've got as left-overs from earlier parts of the project. Hopefully, things might start to shape-up over the weekend.

Jeff 

• Like 14

Hi Jeff, Rocks look good mate, but may I say, that to me that Backscene still appears to BEND the wrong way over the Tunnel Mouth corner, sorry if I'm speaking out of turn, but I do love the hillside, I wish I had room for a countryside like that on Pen.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, Rocks look good mate, but may I say, that to me that Backscene still appears to BEND the wrong way over the Tunnel Mouth corner, sorry if I'm speaking out of turn, but I do love the hillside, I wish I had room for a countryside like that on Pen.

Of course you're not speaking out of turn. I haven't done anything with the corner yet. The board behind the tunnel has no choice but to bend that way because it's held in place by the wooden frame that supports the tunnel hillside.

I'll eventually get round to fitting the piece of bendy card/very thin ply that we discussed - four weeks (??!) ago.....eventually.

Things seem to be going at a snail's pace, but if I look back to January 1st none of the Fell had been done, so I guess I'm moving forward. 7 months since the start-ish....just not as rapid as you!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The rocks look very convincing Jeff and look like some of the newly exposed stones in our creek after this years erosion.

It's snowing here this morning and settling on the mountain tops. I was wondering if the top of KL2s fell will be treated to a light dusting. It would certainly add to the atmosphere don't you think?

Regards Shaun.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The rocks look very convincing Jeff and look like some of the newly exposed stones in our creek after this years erosion.

It's snowing here this morning and settling on the mountain tops. I was wondering if the top of KL2s fell will be treated to a light dusting. It would certainly add to the atmosphere don't you think?

Regards Shaun.

Cheers Shaun.

Your comment immediately made me think of the scale height of the Fell - it's around 200 feet. However, if I pretend Kirkby Luneside station - just up the road from Dent (over 1000 feet above sea level) is at around 600' elevation, that puts the Fell top at around 800' and certainly prone to a bit of long-lying snow.

I doubt whether my artistry can stretch far enough to model a bit of snow!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: I now have the "exploded parts diagram" for the road underbridge in my head - and the dimensions on paper. It's now just a question of waiting for my plastikard re-stock, due Monday.

I've spent a couple of hours re-organising - and chucking stuff out of - the Bunker and I've cleared the other corner access area. This means I can now, when the fancy takes me, build-up the baseboard in that corner and lay the remainder of the goods yard track. That'll make Jason smile!  :D  :D  :D  :D

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

Cheers Shaun.

Your comment immediately made me think of the scale height of the Fell - it's around 200 feet. However, if I pretend Kirkby Luneside station - just up the road from Dent (over 1000 feet above sea level) is at around 600' elevation, that puts the Fell top at around 800' and certainly prone to a bit of long-lying snow.

I doubt whether my artistry can stretch far enough to model a bit of snow!

Jeff

Talcum Powder

Only joking Jeff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, this is looking really nice - I love popping back after a month and seeing such a huge amount of progress!

I still envy the space, especially given that is a dedicated railway room that you can "bunker" down in :D
As always, I look forward to seeing more photos.

Its nice seeing the landforms with a bit of colour on them, too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jock, Jam, thanks for the comments.

Not a great deal done over the last week as I've had a very heavy cold and I've hardly been in the Bunker. However, I went out today and cut a few pieces of wood and plastikard as a starter for the road underbridge. Feel better for doing SOMETHING!!

Jam, I guess you're a cat lover. Me too, and it's about time I got a new feline friend after the loss of my old companion - the one shown in my avatar.

Hopefully there'll be something to show in the next day or so!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Indeed Jeff, I changed my photo today because I thought people might appreciate putting a name to a face - but I of course had to have my cat in shot too!

Though they can be a pain in the proverbial at times, I wouldn't be without a feline companion. The longest we've been without one is probably less than half a year.

Sorry to hear that you lost yours, it's always a tough time to go through. Our current one (in the picture) we've had since a kitten (she's about 4 now).

Hopefully you can get a new one soon! I'm sure it will love to chase the trains around KL2!

Jam

P.S.  Don't rush to make progress, but if it makes you happier then by all means - it's probably a good tool for recovery!

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Like 1