Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Great work Jeff, am enjoying the metamorphosis of railway modeler/ garden wall construction into miniature wall building sub hobby!

Regards Shaun.

Thanks Shaun. Fortunately the "sub hobby" has temporarily come to a halt. It's one of those jobs that just HAS to be done in an S&C context, so best to just get on with it!

Walling will appear elsewhere, at various future times, but not in such quantity!

Nice to have a bit of a break and regain some perspective on what's been done and what's coming up.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

well it has been a lot of work but the result is worth it in my opinion. The fell is such a big feature and shouts S&C so it is really worth putting the effort into the Fell. Waiting to see the G...s being added then the sheep.

Don

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

well it has been a lot of work but the result is worth it in my opinion. The fell is such a big feature and shouts S&C so it is really worth putting the effort into the Fell. Waiting to see the G...s being added then the sheep.

Don

Must admit, Mike's (Stationmaster) comment that the layout would have been better named "Kirkby Fellside" has a ring of truth to it!

Funny how you can spend a large amount of time on something that, by itself, can have no railway connection. After all, the fells were there long before man tampered with the area. It's also the case that an operator could quite happily operate KL2 by turning his back on the Fell and totally ignore it. I do enjoy building landscapes, so it was inevitable - as with KL - that something like the Fell would end up being constructed.

A preliminary, base coating of the "G" stuff will be applied in the not too distant future.....

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I dont think you would ignore the fell. True while running trains you may have your back to it. But you would have seen it and know it was there giving a sense of place. Trains do not dominate the landscape even the mighty Ribblehead viaduct is modest compared to the hills around it.

Don

• RMweb Premium

I dont think you would ignore the fell. True while running trains you may have your back to it. But you would have seen it and know it was there giving a sense of place. Trains do not dominate the landscape even the mighty Ribblehead viaduct is modest compared to the hills around it.

Don

Very true.

I, for one, couldn't ignore the Fell. To be honest, I get as much - if not more - enjoyment from the scenic surroundings (construction and aesthetics) than from the railway. And I can't see the point of a layout that doesn't have the railway set into the context of its environment.

The Fell is also a good way of separating the "operating bit" from the "storage bit". The poor old fiddle yard hardly gets a look in!

It's all good fun though we can sometimes become so embroiled in a task that we forget it's ONLY (ha ha) a hobby!!

Good to hear from you, Don.

EDIT: Just seen Clive is lurking. I think the footer on your posts sums it up "Why don't you get yourself a hobby instead of messing around with that model railway", or words to that effect!! 

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

TTIMWG!!

This Thread Is Meaningless Without Grass

Probably true.

I'll be having a "whip round" asking for contributions to finance the cost of turfing the Fell. I do PayPal and Apple Pay.....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update - or lack of...

Being a fair few score miles away from the Bunker means that activity shifts into mental planning mode rather than "doing". I've got everything measured on paper and am currently thinking about the most practical way to fit the 3 small boards that sit behind the station/goods area. It's very easy to fix them in place, but I need to make the boards accessible for scenic work in the simplest way possible.

The ply for this task will be ordered immediately upon my return home. And to keep some of you happy, I'll put a SMALL amount of g**** on the Fell. Now, just how small is SMALL?  :jester:

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Can we have a pic of a black 5 as well coming out of the tunnel please. :sorry:

Mark

Mark, when I get home, at the end of next week, I'll try to remember to get a few pics of a Black 5 or two entering/leaving the tunnel etc.

Of course, you have to remember that these are the almost off-the-shelf versions. They haven't suffered the surgery/bodily mutations advocated by Dr Jason Thomas with his scalpel wielding!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Can my cheeky loco request be a workstained wd 2 8 0 please jeff?!!!

Cheers

Ben

Ben, I'll do my best when I get home. In the meantime, here's a workstained WD from October 2013 on the old KL layout:

post-13778-0-44857600-1465675374_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

A preliminary, base coating of the "G" stuff will be applied in the not too distant future.....

Jeff

Update - or lack of...

And to keep some of you happy, I'll put a SMALL amount of g**** on the Fell. Now, just how small is SMALL?  :jester:

Jeff

GRASS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O .

Advanced teasing by any standard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Advanced teasing by any standard.

I thought that if I mentioned it a few times on here it'd commit me to putting something onto the Fell in the near future. Even if it is just a gesture!!

I'm currently in Cumbria. "Flaming June"? Ha! It's been pouring down all morning - no wonder the fella are so green.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: I'm back home again and I've just ordered the 9mm and 12mm birch ply boards (4' x 4' and 4' x 2' sheets) that will allow me to build-up the baseboard sections at the rear of the goods and station area.

So things are happening again. Not sure when the ply will be here. Installing a small pond in the garden this week, so KL2 work may be slow to resume. But resume it will - eventually!

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Update: My new stock of ply arrived this afternoon. I've started work on the board area behind the goods yard. Will post some pics of progress tomorrow.

I'm spending very little time on the Forum these days, but I'll try to keep you up to date.

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Update: My new stock of ply arrived this afternoon. I've started work on the board area behind the goods yard. Will post some pics of progress tomorrow.

I'm spending very little time on the Forum these days, but I'll try to keep you up to date.

My "like" was not for the bit that you said in bold... but rather for the update and the fact that we'll continue to see the progress on this fantastic build. I fully understand the issues around time on the forum for many. Though for me at the moment I can't do much modelling, so dropping in on the forum during a work call is a very welcome diversion!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Neil, thanks for the encouragement. I'm plodding along and here are a couple of pics, as promised.

These boards are 12mm ply and sat on risers, as per the rest of the trackbed. They allow the rear of the goods area to be built-up and, aside from the easily accessible corner board, will be removable until the scenic work is complete. 

One more board to fit, which will "hold" the road access to the station and towards the yard.

post-13778-0-26482000-1466695088_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-30001200-1466695091_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 14

Hi Jeff

Love that 2nd photo with the viaduct in the distance and that wall running across and up the fell just looks the dogs danglies.

Superb angle as the track looks as if it just goes over the viaduct and straight into the hillside and comes out somewhere on the other side of the hill, you would never think it comes back round under it, unless of course you knew (like we all do!).

Quite surprised you've done anything indoors today if the weather is anything like it is this side of the Pennines, today must be summer.

Keep up the excellent work, but at your own pace when YOU feel like it.

Chip

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Chip, thanks for the comments. I realise it'll look a lot better once there's a bit of the G stuff on the Fell. However, I'm trying to keep to a logical order and "G" will come eventually. It'll (hopefully) blend the walls, rocks, hillside etc together. Of course, there's a fair bit of fencing to build - must re-stock with match-sticks!

Just to complete yesterday's work, here's the board fitted into the gap behind the station.

post-13778-0-01522100-1466779562_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-90705300-1466779566_thumb.jpg

Bit bleary-eyed at the moment having been up all night watching the Referendum stuff. Hopefully it hasn't meant today's boards are TOO far out of level!

Jeff

• Like 11