Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

The S&C didn't really see much traffic in the period Jeff is modelling (did it ever?) so I guess a timetable would be a bit pointless really. The occasional express passing through, a few through freights, a couple of pick up goods and a very rare stopper. I imagine that the up line could have been blocked with part of a pickup goods for in excess of an hour without holding anything up!

You say you don't care what runs through mate but I'd hope that you would look at getting the correct type of coaches (Stanier ones, the odd Gresley and Mk 1's off the top of my head) and wagons. Opens, minerals, vans (a good variety, not just the handful of types Bachmann make), etc. are the stalwarts of the period(s) you are depicting and needed in good numbers. Cattle wagons and milk tankers may be interesting but for every milk tanker that passed through in 1960, I bet 50 five planks did and 80 mineral wagons (vans were far less in number than either of those). Now we all know that I am a bit of a wagon head, not really caring for passenger stock but a bit obsessed with building wagon kits (48 built so far for The Mill, a layout with a fiddle yard that can hold 3) but I am planning for the next layout which will hopefully be a roundy roundy and a decent size. In other words, I am already building up enough representative stock to operate it, the majority of which would be in your typical goods train. Passenger services? I have two DMU's and an LMS auto-coach; what else do I need? :D

Point being, we all run funny stuff on our layouts but a bit of effort to make up representational trains (locos and stock) is also a factor in setting the location. Oh, and as you love building kits, that shouldn't be a problem :)

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Yep, agree with what you've said there, Jason.

I think my point to Peter was that I'm not likely to run a timetable and prefer playing with freight.

And at the moment there's still so much to do that the actual running aspects don't especially interest me. I'll provide the stage or backdrop and then invite the players.....

Haven't bought a loco for 4 years, but still have plenty of stuff to run on it - though extra wagons will be nice!

Jeff

• Like 3

Hi Jeff

I agree with most if not all of what you and Jason are saying as my own work will show a good representation of the places I model within the constraints of the shed, it is that sense of place that makes them easily recognisable that is more important to me than any timetable. As for stock it will represent the period with one or two specials that appeal to me that may or may not have been seen back in 1904 and that goes for the odd loco too, the branch locos though will be as close to prototype as I can make them.

The running will be mainly for the entertainment of visitors only as I will easily be engrossed in building stuff for the rest of my days, chances are they will only run a couple of times a year then, that's even less than the four trains a day that ran to Hemyock six days a week. :mosking:

Edited by aberdare
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jim.

I'm now back home and have spent the last 3 hours modifying the embankment area adjacent to the viaduct. Modifying meaning ripping out the top of it and re-building it to better accommodate a ballast shoulder. If only I'd thought ahead when I built it originally!

Like you, I'll be building stuff for a good while. I prefer it to the running. I'm worried I'll be bored when all I can do is run trains!

As for the earlier discussion, KL is S&C only - I wouldn't dream of running (deliberately, there is always my ignorance!) anything not related to the line. Unless, of course, someone turns up with a Merchant Navy, Castle or the like, and wants to have a play.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I took a number of classic S&C related books with me while I was away. Studying the (mainly black and white) photos it was obvious how immaculately tended the line was in its heyday, especially the ballasting. Deep ballast shoulders were the norm and - where possible - I've modified the cork underlay to try and allow me to do this.

Here's a pic of the ballast adjacent to Ribblehead Viaduct in 1957:

post-13778-0-41104400-1475953421.jpg

The embankment approaching my viaduct had the ground area impinging over the top of the cork. No good for ballast shoulders! So the embankment had the top smashed off and rebuilt. Here's some pics. These are from last night. When I can brave the atmosphere in the Bunker, after the Grime smell subsides, I'll take some more pics and post them.

post-13778-0-27087500-1475953401_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-21859600-1475953413_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-98232000-1475953416_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

A Merchant Navy did run a railtour over the S&C c1966.....

But, as Jason alludes to, the locos and stock play as much in defining a location as the buildings and scenery. I feel it's important to create the everyday/typical (even dare I say humdrum) scene.

I agree, as I did with Jason.

But can I add this, to put an end to any incorrect discussion.

I have a wide range of locos and wagons and the majority of it is S&C related. I have NO intention of running other stuff as it doesn't fit with the layout.

This seems to stem from my reply to you re. the timetable. I stated that I'm not running to a timetable and that the loco specifics don't interest me compared with the layout build. I never suggested I'd run any old thing and it wouldn't work if I did.

Just trying to set the record straight.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

One of your famous Curries last night was it? :no:  :jester:  :triniti:  :superman:  :threaten:  :mosking:  :pardon:  :acute:

Andy, I'll eat just about any type of curry.

But Sleeper Grime Rogan Josh is a bit beyond even my eclectic tastes!!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Cautionary tale - after a frustrating hour or so.....

Having moved the lay-by line, it was wired up and locos run along it. Everything seemed ok until I switched one of the adjacent turnouts and the system tripped off. I spent ages checking the wiring - and even removed one of the Cobalt motors - with no success.

After 45 minutes the light came on.....I'd missed an IRJ on one of the turnouts. I've fitted dozens of these on the layout, but this is the first one I've over-looked. 

Should've gone to Specsavers!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Update: Nearly all the track is now grimed (except part of the rear sidings) and most of the cork underlay trimmed.

The track will need an application of rail-rust tomorrow.

The atmosphere in the Bunker currently resembles that of Jupiter, due to the latest Grime application. Once its breathable in there I'll take some photos and post them on here. Maybe before midnight.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 4

Hi Jeff,

Glad to see you back in the swing of things, as for maybe getting bored when the layout is finished - forget it - it never is, there's always detailing then some detailing and not forgetting detailing to do year on year, simple things like lights in the buildings then once lit you need an interior and so it goes on and on, so chin up old chap :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Glad to see you back in the swing of things, as for maybe getting bored when the layout is finished - forget it - it never is, there's always detailing then some detailing and not forgetting detailing to do year on year, simple things like lights in the buildings then once lit you need an interior and so it goes on and on, so chin up old chap :no:

Cheers Mike.

Yes, there's never a dull moment. Looking forward to the never-ending detailing - it's what makes the layout come to life.

After a few days of griming I think it's time to put a bit more grass down. And I'll do a couple of ballasting mock-ups to see how things might look.

About to brave the Bunker for the promised pics....

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Update: After a busy day OUT of the Bunker, I've spent an hour or so cleaning all the rail tops and checking all the turnouts are still operational - and not glued stuck with Grime.

All ok.

So the last hour was just sitting next to the switch board, running a couple of trains here, there and everywhere (I feel a Beatles song coming on!)

Will do a bit more grassing tomorrow and a bit of "rusting". Then play a bit more....

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Could be worse Jeff, you could be playing the Beatles "Help"..........

Very true, Peter. I always need help, which is why I post on here.

If I inhale any more sleeper grime then I'll feel like I've been on Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

You saw about the latest Lego set Jeff?

It's a bit yellower than say, Lucy is...

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/90

I'd say, from where I sit, the change of colour around the fell is very nice- the lack of christmas look is much appreciated !.  If you look at the photo with the bridge in #3007, is there a kink just past the bridge?  Not much, but a bit of one...it could very well be the camera is changing the angles enough that there isn't anything worth changing, but easier now.  Anyway, it is far nicer than it being the fells in winter :).

Trains:  I don't run a schedule on LM.  I have appropriate trains for LM, and some stock which is not probably that appropriate.  (I am fairly convinced that Montreal Loco Works never sold a LRC into the UK, but I could be mistaken !)  I figure that running what is appropriate helps set the scene on the layout.  I need to make the CONDOR wagons, and Anhydrite wagons up from the etches I have- which will happen right after we are done with the tree fort :)

https://flic.kr/s/aHskKxsg3c

James

James

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi James.

Thanks for the curve observation. I've just been out to the Bunker to check - all seems ok. There are a couple of solder points (for droppers to the bus) on the curve that may have produced a distorting effect. A 60" Tracksetta seems pretty smooth around the bend, which looks fine to the eye.

As for the coloration of the layout. The grass/Fell looks greener under the fluorescent lighting in the pics than to the eye. I also like the dour, brown griminess that spraying the track has produced. 

I'm not really into Lego - unlike your family (!!) - but I'll take a look at your link.

It's a wonderful world when my regular Canadian contributor is keeping an eye on my track curves from 10,000km away. Amazing!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have to ask Jeff, what is going next to the lie-by siding as there is a long flat section before the embankment starts

If you have a look at the photo in post 2964 you'll see there is around 5-6 feet of flat ground between the lay-by and the foot of the embankment.

So I'll have to add a little bit of extra banking as my flat area is too wide. I wasn't sure how far across I'd move the lay-by and gave myself a margin for error!

The lay-by seems to have been partially overgrown since the 1970s, but will be fairly clean in the period I'm running.

Jeff

• Like 1