Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Very true, Andy.

I'll be back at my dad's at the end of the month and I'll re-gauge another 30 or so wagons. Maybe at the start of next month I'll be able to run a couple of long freights?

It'll probably make up for the tedium of point rodding.

As Mick said, a couple of pages back, I'm a builder rather than a player.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Outstanding work Jeff!

I'm still looking for an unballasted chipboard prototype to justify my lack of effort!

Regards

Guy

Hi Guy. Welcome aboard!

I wasn't sure whether to give you a "Thanks" or a "Funny"...

Anyway, find yourself a prototype and get cracking. Nothing like a bit of static grass, flexitrack, DAS clay and PVA to get the creative juices flowing!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a trip over the complete S&C yesterday, Jeff. Long Preston to Carlisle and return. Not as green as your portrayal, but just as scenic.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 2

I'm jealous, Jonathan. Haven't been on the S&C for about 6 years and have never done the full stretch.

Derek - "play" at the moment would involve DAS and static grass. Still interested?

I decided to build a 20cm section of fencing using cotton thread and matchsticks. In the past I'd simply wrap the cotton around the posts and hold it in place with a dab of nail varnish. I decided that wasn't good enough, so got the hand drill out, drilled some 0.9mm holes and spent a "while" (it took about an hour) threading the cotton through. It would be much quicker with a fine fishing line, but I had none to hand and I've always liked black cotton line for fences. Whether I'll make some more like this - well, yes - probably the 50cm section on the other side of the underbridge....

The posts are around 20mm tall.

attachicon.gifIMG_4553.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4556.JPG

Jeff

Just an idea. Not sure whether it is meant to be intentional or not.  Would the wires have a little sag between the posts?  If yes have you thought of using some kind of former to add pressure to the thread whilst a coat of varnish or something similar applied to the line goes off, thus leaving prototypical sag?  Or is that considered a little ott?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm jealous, Jonathan. Haven't been on the S&C for about 6 years and have never done the full stretch.

Jeff

A serious admission, Jeff. You should rectify that this summer. It's a 25 min drive to Long Preston from Slaidburn and a round trip to Carlisle for me and the missus is just over £30 will senior rail cards, so a grand day out. We can also do the Little North Western to Lancaster/Morecombe too.

• Like 1

*snip*

Jeff

Bl**dy hell, Jeff!

I'm on the other side of the world, and I've done it end-to-end - twice... and both times were in the cab of a Class 47!

• Like 3

Derek - "play" at the moment would involve DAS and static grass. Still interested?

I decided to build a 20cm section of fencing using cotton thread and matchsticks. In the past I'd simply wrap the cotton around the posts and hold it in place with a dab of nail varnish. I decided that wasn't good enough, so got the hand drill out, drilled some 0.9mm holes and spent a "while" (it took about an hour) threading the cotton through. It would be much quicker with a fine fishing line, but I had none to hand and I've always liked black cotton line for fences. Whether I'll make some more like this - well, yes - probably the 50cm section on the other side of the underbridge....

The posts are around 20mm tall.

attachicon.gifIMG_4553.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4556.JPG

Jeff

Jeff

Black thread is a good way to go. I found that a little superglue on the first inch or so of the thread hardens into an integral needle. It's still not a quick option though!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Black thread is a good way to go. I found that a little superglue on the first inch or so of the thread hardens into an integral needle. It's still not a quick option though!

David

David, thanks for the tip. It's always tricky with the flayed ends of cotton, so I'll give your idea a go. I wonder if PVA might be a "safer" option than superglue, as you can run your fingers down the strands to bring the ends to a point. Bit slower to dry, though.

This kind of input is always good to have.

Just an idea. Not sure whether it is meant to be intentional or not.  Would the wires have a little sag between the posts?  If yes have you thought of using some kind of former to add pressure to the thread whilst a coat of varnish or something similar applied to the line goes off, thus leaving prototypical sag?  Or is that considered a little ott?

I doubt that ANYTHING is considered OTT when you see the ridiculous lengths that some of us go to in order to make things "realistic"!!

Quite a lot of fencing has tight wires, so I'll leave it "as is". A bit of a droop (!!) may be included elsewhere.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff has done the S&C twice.............KL1 & KL2  :jester:

We can all go home; Mike's just won this thread.

It's hard to beat Mike at this game. Always a man with an eye for relevant wit!!

And btw lads, it IS a disgrace that I've never done the complete S&C. I shall do my penance and seek to rectify this sinful behaviour in the (relatively) near future!!

Jeff

• Like 1

Nice work on the wire fencing jeff,youve made a good job of that.

Im planning on having quite a bit of wire fencing on ais gill so i'll give your method a try,rather than buying the ratio kit stuff.

Be a lot cheaper to just buy a box of matches!

Cheers

Ben

• RMweb Premium

Nice work on the wire fencing jeff,youve made a good job of that.

Im planning on having quite a bit of wire fencing on ais gill so i'll give your method a try,rather than buying the ratio kit stuff.

Be a lot cheaper to just buy a box of matches!

Cheers

Ben

I'd certainly give it a go. Aside from your time - and it does need a bit of patience (especially when the cotton won't thread through the hole or a matchstick snaps, just as you are "planting it") - the cost is minimal.

And I think there's the satisfaction of building it yourself - and I also believe it looks better than painted plastic.

I'll be doing the 50cm length on the other side of the bridge soon - probably tomorrow. I spaced the posts at 6' intervals (2.4cm), so 50' will need around 20-22 matches.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought...can you use a very fine needle to thread the cotton through the posts?... or would the hole in the post be huge to do that?

Ben, as I'm a total numpty when it comes to sewing, I can't answer your question.

The holes in my fence posts were 0.9mm wide, which is pretty narrow. Any wider and the holes would be too large for the matchsticks.

Jeff

Just a thought...can you use a very fine needle to thread the cotton through the posts?... or would the hole in the post be huge to do that?

Hi Ben,

Spot on, that is my method, I pull a double length of thread through the bottom holes then return through the top set of holes an fix with in my case super-glue. Much easier if you drill the holes first which I forgot to do!

post-5296-0-89241200-1491805166_thumb.jpg

This is probably the best pic I have as I was focusing on the obvious.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Mike, thanks for answering Ben's question.

Update: It's one of those days where plenty of bits get done that need to be done before something of an "end" is achieved. DAS shoulders below the overbridge and a bit of base grassing adjacent to platform 2. Nothing significant, but an advance, nevertheless.

Tomorrow will see more ballast painting and I may re-gauge a few more wagons.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff. Just had a very entertaining lunch catching up on your work.

This half of one of your pictures really seems to capture the essence of what you are trying to achieve. It's hard to tell that the foreground is model! So I guess what I'm trying to say is that all that time spent weathering the ballast has paid off well!

post-8964-0-22337500-1491857873.jpg

On my other layout all the fencing was constructed with pre-drilled match sticks with chiseled tops GWR style but instead of thread I used beading wire. It is available in 0.2mm/ 0.008", it's paintable and I think you'll find it very easy to thread trough the holes.  Beadalon Wildfire I think the stuff is called. 

post-8964-0-87849900-1491857912_thumb.jpg

Keep up the good work

Regards Shaun.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Shaun - thanks for the comments, especially the beading wire suggestion. I've just had a quick look on Amazon and they sell a large range of wire, much of it 0.3mm - which is more than adequate. The rigidity compared with cotton will be useful.

I'll have a closer look in a minute and order some in.

Good to hear from you again. Your fencing looks a treat!!

Jeff

Edit - Beadalon Wildfire - yes, got it! Cheers.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2