Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I have a (secret) ulterior motive for posting these pics.....not that I'm going to reveal it....

Anyway, here's the growth of part of a stone wall over a 2 hour period, with 90, 200, 500 and 700 stones in place. Still not complete - clearly!

I'm getting a lot quicker (maybe my quality control is poorer?) - up to 350 stones an hour (usually less than 200)!

attachicon.gifIMG_6190.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6191.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6192.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6193.JPG

Jeff

We should have guessed from this post. Looks much better Jeff. Must be one of the few walls not built in situate.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Some information to go with the pics.

The stone wall is made up of around 3000 "bricks". It's a little different from the previous, Fell walls in being slightly higher (around a scale 6', or roughly 12/13 stone layers - other walls come in at around 5' and 10-12 layers).

The wall was also built away from the layout, on a thin plastikard base (see earlier post). At 106cm long it was then a bit tricky to peel the base off and position/glue the wall in place. I intended to leave the plastic base in place but thought it looked wrong when positioned - so off it came!

The new wall is also the first of the stone walls to feature some "degradation" - basically, bits have dropped off. I quite enjoyed incorporating this, so much so that the embankment wall I'm currently building also has some bits missing. There is hope for the sheep - though if they escape down the embankment they'll get splattered by a loco!

The rear wall took about 10 hours to build. I really like the Slaters wall I posted up 3 days ago. There is precedent for such a structure. But I think the new wall fits in better.

So there you have it.

Jeff

That's more like it Jeff.

Snap, Peter....

See my last comment in the post I've just put-up!

J.

• Like 3

Yep. Yep. Yep.

Not a structural wall, so can start and finish where it bl**dy well likes.

And now looks like a short wall at the crest of a rise, with the view looking out over the distant valley.

Perfect outcome.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Glad to hear that it passes muster, Scott. Bearing in mind all the walling around it, I should have built it this way in the first place.

The other wall was instructional, though, as I managed to test out my way of disguising the joining of adjacent stone sheets again.

A bit of static grass and one of the last remaining bits of track to ballast tomorrow. And a Cobalt to replace. I'm sure it was working OK when I tested it a while back.... I have replacements.

You never know, come Friday I may clean the mainline and run the class 25 round. Maybe even video it on the tablet and post the vid on here. We shall see!

Jeff

• Like 3

Hi Jeff,

The new wall looks much more in keeping for the S&C, I do admire the way you take constructive criticism positively however my mate Andy with his army training would say "Perfect Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance" then for good measure "No plan survives contact with the enemy" so to me it seems you just can't win mate.  :jester: Trains running by New Year?

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I've just come to this - a very basic question please  - whose backscenes have you used here and how were they stuck also they seem quite high/tall are they a scene with "sky paper" above 

Thanks

If I may answer for Jeff?

http://www.art-printers.com/

Comes in 9" and 15" heights. Some are even self-adhesive.

• RMweb Premium

Jonathan, Mike, thanks for answering the question posed earlier.

I'd just add that the bespoke service Mike used is an excellent add-on to the already available ID photographic backscenes. The ones used on KL2 were just bog-standard, "off the shelf", series 207 "Hills and Dales" 15".

These backscenes are widely available, but I've found Peters Spares in Middlesbrough provide an excellent, rapid service and have most of the scenes in stock.

I've been beavering in the Bunker - lots of small things that, in the end, add-up. Mike, I'm quite happy to act on constructive criticism but detest people who moan, whinge and nit-pick when they are unable to suggest alternatives. A lot of these twits have probably never built anything in their lives, but proclaim themselves as self-professed experts. They're not wanted on this thread. To which I'll add that the bunch of contributors on here are a good lot and have raised the standard of my modelling over the last 6 years I've been on RMW.

Btw, Bodgit requests more pics. I haven't anything really new to show, but might post-up a blitz of "as it stands" images later.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As it stands but with some Stock I hope young Jeff. :O

Spent about an hour cleaning the track surfaces and ran the trusty old  25 round for a few laps pulling Jason's group of weathered hoppers.

So you may get your wish, Andy.

Although the SLWs have 3-links coupling points, most of my rolling stock is still the old tension-lock stuff. It'll need to be "3-linked" at some stage.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ooooh.. aaaahh.. I do like the weathering on them 'oppers!

Ironic considering the train is surrounded by weathered structures and the 'oppers are the only thing I'm not responsible for!

Jason does do a good job of his weathering. He doesn't know where I live - he may not get them back......

Heehee hahhaha to quote a certain grass fanatic.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

great stuff,

Colin

Sorry Colin, didn't see you there as I was too busy blathering on about hoppers!

Glad you like....one day, if I can get some steamers "EM'd", you'll see some PROPER S&C trains.

Jeff

Ironic considering the train is surrounded by weathered structures and the 'oppers are the only thing I'm not responsible for!

Jason does do a good job of his weathering. He doesn't know where I live - he may not get them back......

Heehee hahhaha to quote a certain grass fanatic.

Jeff

You can take it as read I like the scenic work, Jeff (and I know you know that!).

These days I'll comment by exception, to keep it focussed  ;)

The hoppers caught my eye as I've a rake of them myself... all shiny and factory fresh in Hornby boxes.  One day, I'll need to emulate Jason, and go to town on them.

Edited by jukebox

• RMweb Premium

You can take it as read I like the scenic work, Jeff (and I know you know that!).

These days I'll comment by exception, to keep it focussed  ;)

The hoppers caught my eye as I've a rake of them myself... all shiny and factory fresh in Hornby boxes.  One day, I'll need to emulate Jason, and go to town on them.

It's ok, Scott, I understand.

I actually found your observation quite amusing, especially as he DOES take so much care and pride with his wagons. Not that Jason seems able to get any modelling done these days - from what I hear, he's back to mountain biking and trying to kill himself by cycling off the top of K2 (well, almost).

As for focusing on the exceptions. Way to go - and it's what is needed. I value a critical eye - and suggested remedies - if there's a problem.

Jeff