Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

Cheers Jeff for the PLUG, here's the link, and basically it's a place where we can all discuss OTHER, Hobbies, Sports Pastimes, in the present or the past OTHER THAN RAILWAYS.

It's in the Wheeltappers Section, and it's called = And my other Hobby is = ?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129337-and-my-other-hobby-is/&do=findComment&comment=2971082

• RMweb Gold

Evening Jeff, no scratch that at 01:29 it’s now morning .... hang on ....

Morning Jeff!

Just a quick, but belated Happy Christmas to you, and indeed everyone reading this. Hope Santa visited with lots of goodies to play with, and here is to more modelling time for all of us next year. I always relish catching up with what your doing, or even looking back over your past achievements. As I’ve said a number of times, KL2 is inspiration, not just because of the quality of your work, but the style of approach, your methods and your attention to detail. I’m really hoping to be in a position to draw lots of positives and attempt to follow in your footsteps next year, time permitting! Looking forward to seeing how you progress as ‘KL’ continues to go from strength to strength.

Have a Happy New Year if I don’t get time to pop in over the next couple of days, and to you and all reading these this rambling, here’s to much enthusiasm, positive mojo, modelling and above all happy times in 2018.

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rich.

It'd be hard not to get going again in January with the encouragement and support that I receive on here.

I'm still working my way through the thread and looking things over provides ideas and I've spotted places for enhancement.

Will be heading outside shortly for more imaging. It's a bit on the cool side....

All the best.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Happy New Year to yourself and any Lunester regulars who might be looking in..

Good health and happy modelling for 2018.

I couldn't find a suitably seasonal shot of Kirkby Stephen so it'll have to be Garsdale.

post-13274-0-35729100-1514746890.jpg

Regards and best wishes

Alan

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

My first look-in for a day or so. Many thanks to some of the Lunester stalwarts for your best wishes.

The same to you all.

I've been busy with the image processing of late, over 50 half-decent images towards the next book. I did put the heater on in the Bunker earlier today and had a "potter" for 30 minutes or so.

Nice image, Alan. All of Friday's snow has now melted away here. Off for a coffee or two and a few more "hard hours" with the oceans of image data I've built up.

Let's hope we all have a successful modelling 2018 (NO, Andy - I don't expect to see you on the catwalk!! )

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Duncan.

There'll be more moon pics - I've quite a collection now, but don't want to clog up this thread. I may put a few into the Lounge over the next week or so.

AND for the first time in a while, I've actually spent a bit of modelling-related (rather than "play") time in the Bunker. A bit of organising (amazing how you forget where the DAS, files, glue etc is " stored") and a little bit of a plan to get me going again.

I'm glad the wind has calmed down. I don't fancy working out there with 70mph gusts blowing over!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

Good grief...

You drop in somewhere you haven't been for a while and it's all changed...

Kirkby Lunside gone, replaced by Kirkby Luneside2

OO replaced with EM

Flock replaced with static grass

Bunker replaced by Bunker 2

Proper scale modelling under way!

Ye Gods, I've missed a lot!!!

This is way better than many exhibition layouts I've seen on my travels.

Outstanding work Jeff.

• RMweb Premium

Wow, Al - quite a surprise to hear from you! I can't recall you posting on KL2. Lots of stuff on KL. And for newer readers, Al was the prime motivator behind my first-ever bit of scratch building - the curved viaduct.

Al, thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.

I HAVE mentioned to Jayn (since I moved here 4 years ago) that you're both welcome to visit. Your input would be interesting to hear.

And have you managed to get young Erin into railway modelling yet?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff,

I don't think I've posted on KL2 up until now. Can't believe it has been four years since you moved. You were only thinking about it last time I saw you!

Not sure if I'd changed jobs last time I saw you. I now work a daft 'four on - four off' shift so have at least two days a week undisturbed time at home, great for modelling, only downside is I have nowhere to put a layout.

I really must come round and inspect KL2 in the flesh. From the photo's it looks outstanding.

Unfortunately Erin hasn't shown any enthusiasm for model railways, however horses are a different matter!

Al

• RMweb Premium

Horses!!??!!

You're obviously not working hard enough!

How old is she now, 8? She should be thrilling to Black 5s and Peaks!

Anyway, good to see you back on the Forum. We'll have to organise a time for a visit. You might want to wait until (a) the Bunker has warmed up a bit, and (b) I get my ar5e back in gear - I've done nothing since mid-November.

And maybe I'll brave the "long" trek down to Ingleby. Have you still got your pet rodents?

Jeff

Yup , when I decided to try and interest her in horsepower I was aiming for the infernal/external combustion engine type, not the four legged variety!

Think I need to take her education up a notch, she's quite good with aeroplanes, but I feel I need to work more on the steel horses.

'Little un' turned 10 in September, it only feels like yesterday I was bringing her home from the hospital, time flies as they say.

A trip 'north' sounds like fun, probably best to wait until the bunker is up to operating temperature again though.

The captive rodents went about three years ago, although we do get the odd 'small wild' one brought home as a present these days along with the odd sparrow! (my avatar is a bit out of date, it needs to be replaced with a pair of smallish furry killers!)

Al

Edited by Schubert

• RMweb Premium

Evening Al.

I try to keep the Bunker at around 8-10C at the moment, though I'm hoping to get started again this weekend, so I'll aim a bit higher. There's a ton of insulation in there, but with no continuous heating and the temperature getting a bit on the low side (-5C on Tuesday morning), it's a tad cool in there at the moment.

You're welcome any time, though I'm fairly tied up until mid February, or so.

If you've got some EM gauge locos, bring them up. I always liked that Heljan 28 you had, though that was 00.

Jeff

I have one very similar to this, it's normally on a timer for about 3 Hours durin the night, between Nov and March, but last year I didn't bother at all.

This year I have left it on constant, since early Dec when we had Snow, and it's supposed to be about 2p pre hour, and I can go in any time and it's comfortable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Warmlite-WL44011MOB-Ceramic-Panel-Heater/dp/B00EQUU8Z2/ref=sr_1_89?ie=UTF8&qid=1515619841&sr=8-89&keywords=heater+radiator+electric

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Andy.

I've got an oil heater (1500W max.) with a thermostat, and it's on and off intermittently. However, I've just gone and dug out a timer and I'll give it a go for a couple of hours a night over the next few days.

It might encourage me to get off my backside and start doing a few jobs to kick-start my interest.

Jeff

• Like 1

Evening Al.

I try to keep the Bunker at around 8-10C at the moment, though I'm hoping to get started again this weekend, so I'll aim a bit higher. There's a ton of insulation in there, but with no continuous heating and the temperature getting a bit on the low side (-5C on Tuesday morning), it's a tad cool in there at the moment.

You're welcome any time, though I'm fairly tied up until mid February, or so.

If you've got some EM gauge locos, bring them up. I always liked that Heljan 28 you had, though that was 00.

Jeff

Wish I could pipe some of our excess heat to you guys, 36C forecast today. Came in from gardening 10am, already 25C and intense sun :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wish I could pipe some of our excess heat to you guys, 36C forecast today. Came in from gardening 10am, already 25C and intense sun :sungum:

You must be having an effect, Colin. The Bunker reached the heady heights of 10C today. Keep the warm wind blowing from Melbourne and I might get some jobs done this weekend!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, just checking in to make sure KL2 is still here. Three threads I follow have come to an abrupt stop this week: Andy because of hospitalisation (all the best, Andy)Gordons' Eastwood Town and now Larry tells us he's sold up Carrog. Couldn't stand it if KL2 went belly-up.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, just checking in to make sure KL2 is still here. Three threads I follow have come to an abrupt stop this week: Andy because of hospitalisation (all the best, Andy)Gordons' Eastwood Town and now Larry tells us he's sold up Carrog. Couldn't stand it if KL2 went belly-up.

Jonathan, don't worry about KL2. It's been around 2 months since I did anything, but I'll actually be in the Bunker tomorrow to re-commence work on the cobble-road.

I must admit, I'm a bit surprised that Gordon's layout has come to an end - though he does like to spend a lot of time on his golf. As for Larry..... I think Carrog is fantastic, but it's in keeping for Larry to finish with a layout after a relatively short time. Look at Greenfield, which was very well built.

Andy will be back to work ASAP, albeit a bit slower (hopefully), so we all have his health and recovery in mind.

KL2 has now been going (as a layout build, not including the garage conversion) for 30 months. My original TARGET (though I'd no experience to back it up) was to build the layout section in 4 years, so things are still within "schedule".

I have a plan for the Fiddle Yard area, after the main layout area is completed. That will keep me going for at least another year or so.

Still plenty to do!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Phewwww. Thank goodness for that. I don't think Gordon has given up except for constant posting, which I and others hope will now be the odd photo of progress now and again. We get the keys to our new house on Friday so I will be there with tape measure in my sticky little hands. What this space for another layout thread.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with the new house. I hope you've been able to salvage some of your old layout to incorporate into the new?

I re-read Gordon's discussion of the reasons for change. It makes sense. A bit concerned about Larry, though. Maybe I've missed something, but it does seem as if something major has happened behind-the-scenes.

Peter - keep Andy in check when he returns. I'm sure Dee will read the riot act if he oversteps the mark!

I've spent the last hour or so tidying and rearranging boxes under the station area. Checked my static grass, paint and glue supplies and actually ran 2 class 25s a combined distance of 2 feet! Something will get done tomorrow and, no matter how trivial, I'll post a pic or two on here.

Jeff

• Like 3