Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I've done some of the "infill" on the windows, but I've stopped until tomorrow morning as the fiddly little bits of plastic are now starting to drive me crazy!!

Vertical bars added. This is 40 thou microstrip. I considered using 20thou, but this was fiddly enough!

post-13778-0-69610700-1519412674_thumb.jpg

Cross bars and a little bit of decoration...

post-13778-0-25889100-1519412731_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-46716100-1519412793_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 10

I didn't know you'd been an inmate....

....coat and jacket (and superglue, airbrush, scalpel...)

J.

Fully paid up member of the Striped Jumper Club mate, hahha.

It does look rather good though Jeff.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

I've cut some more clear acrylic for the remaining 4 large windows (on the opposite side in the photos). I'm using 1mm thick sheet, marketed for use in Doll's House windows. It's nice and rigid, but takes a fair bit of cutting, even with a sharp scalpel and Stanley knife blade.

I've decided to give the glue a break for today. I "overdosed" yesterday in proximity to the cyano superglue, and by the time I went to bed my nose was blocked up with mucus.

Just sent 90 minutes in the Bunker, playing trains. Bit cool in there, but it was fun. More pics tomorrow, hopefully.

Jeff

PS. Chip, I see you lurking. You're familiar with the KS site. What do you reckon of the windows?

Good evening Jeff

They look like windows to me!

I agreed with Bodge when you just had the vertical bars in, but they look a lot better now

I honestly have not got a clue about KS's windows, but I MIGHT call in on my way past soon with a piece of photographic equipment just to check that yours are up to scratch!!

My mountain bike might just get to see some daylight in the KS area tomorrow, watch this space.

Keep up the good work Sir.

Chip.

P.S. said mountain bike was around the Stockton district last weekend and I was thinking about you.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chip.

I don't actually have any clear photos of what the KS windows are like. So my "take" on the windows is actually a hybrid of the S&C pics I have seen, scaled to the size of the windows at KS.

Will be interesting to compare with the "real thing".

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Unrelated to the window work, some pics showing the end result of the heavy buffer and the entrance to the goods yard.

The "gravel" layer on the approach to the granite setts took SIX separate coatings of paint until the chinchilla sand reached the right colour. That's over a week at present drying times.

post-13778-0-22922200-1519570894_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-40736300-1519570950_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-57089400-1519571008_thumb.jpg

There may be some more window pics later.

Jeff

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Here's a batch of window-related pics.

I've now done the 7 windows along the side that faces onto the main line. There's some glue splodges on the windows, but that's just crap from years of exposure in the yard....

post-13778-0-25069600-1519577735_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-32886500-1519577784_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-95770800-1519577839_thumb.jpg

And it's very difficult to make frames an exact fit to the window apertures, so a bit of filler will be added-in later.

The next S&C goods shed (oh yes, there WILL be one in the next year or so....) will be based on one for which brass etches are available!!

Jeff

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Far too much to do at home today I'm afraid, so my bike has not been out, therefore neither has my camera.

There's always another day.

Chip

No problems, Chip. Whenever you can manage.

As I said in my previous post, the windows here are an amalgam of what I've seen elsewhere. Since this layout ISN'T Kirkby Stephen, in the literal sense, anything with a Midland "flavour" is acceptable, as far as I'm concerned.

Clear and cold here. Snow on the way....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just to get things right, you are going to build a third goods shed?

Yes, Jonathan.

But it'll be after the current shed/station building/signal box are completed.

The next goods shed is for elsewhere on the layout. And it'll be of a different, but S&C, design.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here's a batch of window-related pics.

I've now done the 7 windows along the side that faces onto the main line. There's some glue splodges on the windows, but that's just crap from years of exposure in the yard....

attachicon.gifIMG_6729.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6732.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6734.JPG

And it's very difficult to make frames an exact fit to the window apertures, so a bit of filler will be added-in later.

The next S&C goods shed (oh yes, there WILL be one in the next year or so....) will be based on one for which brass etches are available!!

Jeff

Top work as always Jeff, you put me to shame with my very sloooow progress on anything at the moment. I haven't even finished off my stone wall moulding unit yet!!!

Steve

I've not been in the Bunker so far today. Instead, I've spent a good few hours sketching and planning how I'm going to build the window frames and surrounds for the main station building.

Until I started work on the original KL I'd have been looking for a RTP example to do the job. I never understood the attraction of scratchbuilding stuff. Jim (Aberdare) who contributes stuff on here (hope you and Linda are ok, if you read this) once said "Running trains on the layout isn't the priority; I've enough buildings to construct to last me the rest of my days..." (paraphrased, not a direct quote). Over the last few years I can say I "get it" - trying to think up a viable, simple way to build something is a lot of fun. And your construction has individuality, even if it's sometimes a bit rough on the edges (especially if you can't afford sandpaper....)

So expect a major scratchbuilding "binge", coming soon to a KL2 near you.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I remember saying something like that many moons ago and I still think that way now though I have problems getting much done these days.

Sadly Lindas health has been poor over the last year or so and I am unable to use anything solvent based products indoors any more, guess what I prefer to use as well, however I do manage to get into my shed now and again to get the odd thing done. Like the last couple of days I have managed to get out there with sunlight streaming through the open door and windows with protection from the breeze, it made it feel quite pleasant whilst working on the scenic side of things. 

Where you concentrate on grass, walls and sheep - looking fantastic by the way - I concentrate on grass, trees and cattle and have spent a few hours twisting wire and throwing homemade leaves over everything, as you say great fun.

So progress for me is little and not often hence the lack of activity and posts.

Getting more on topic I like what I see over the last few pages and those windows of yours look pretty good to me and I've made a few as you know, but three sheds! how many does a man need? Mind you I'm a fine one to talk as i have made quite a few of the same thing too just to see which is best. i also like some of your panoramic shots that show track disappearing into the distance giving that feeling of depth, that's something I am improving on my own work and will share later as most people who have seen my first few photos think they are real, afterall that is what we want to achieve isn't it, a realistic scene that is instantly recognisable.

Right, that's all from me again for a while so keep up the great work Jeff, until next time all the best.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Top work as always Jeff, you put me to shame with my very sloooow progress on anything at the moment. I haven't even finished off my stone wall moulding unit yet!!!

Steve

Steve, please remember that you have to go to work. The working day takes up a lot of time, especially when you get home knackered and can't be bothered to get on with some modelling afterwards.

So go at your own pace. Nobody's checking up on you. If they are, tell them where to go!

I've had plenty of spells of inactivity over the last year. I did virtually nothing between mid-November and mid-January. But a bit at a time - and then the obsessional "burst" - and it's amazing how much things change in 6 months or a year.

Funny, as well. There are times when I've looked at the layout and thought "what next. I don't want to do A, B or C - what can I do that's EASY?" Such was the case in January, when I decided to work on the "easy" granite setts. That led to grass-work, cattle dock, general grot and now back to scratch building. I couldn't face the latter straight after Christmas and now I'm getting on with it.

So, don't worry about the walling. If anyone complains, give them a kg block of DAS, show them my thread and tell them to get on with some wall-building!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

I remember saying something like that many moons ago and I still think that way now though I have problems getting much done these days.

Sadly Lindas health has been poor over the last year or so and I am unable to use anything solvent based products indoors any more, guess what I prefer to use as well, however I do manage to get into my shed now and again to get the odd thing done. Like the last couple of days I have managed to get out there with sunlight streaming through the open door and windows with protection from the breeze, it made it feel quite pleasant whilst working on the scenic side of things. 

Where you concentrate on grass, walls and sheep - looking fantastic by the way - I concentrate on grass, trees and cattle and have spent a few hours twisting wire and throwing homemade leaves over everything, as you say great fun.

So progress for me is little and not often hence the lack of activity and posts.

Getting more on topic I like what I see over the last few pages and those windows of yours look pretty good to me and I've made a few as you know, but three sheds! how many does a man need? Mind you I'm a fine one to talk as i have made quite a few of the same thing too just to see which is best. i also like some of your panoramic shots that show track disappearing into the distance giving that feeling of depth, that's something I am improving on my own work and will share later as most people who have seen my first few photos think they are real, afterall that is what we want to achieve isn't it, a realistic scene that is instantly recognisable.

Right, that's all from me again for a while so keep up the great work Jeff, until next time all the best.

Jim

Hi Jim.

It's really good to hear from you after all this time. Little did I expect you to spot that "quote" of yours and reply so promptly.

I'm pleased you're managing to make any kind of progress. Your scenery work is excellent and, at some stage (but not now, too many OTHER things to do), I'll have to have a go at making some of those trees of yours. As for my windows. I let myself in for that. I could have built ANY Midland S&C shed, with readily available brass etches. But, by chance, I chose the awkward sod! The third shed will go in a modified fiddle yard - when the main layout has been "completed".

Always good to hear your comments. Best wishes to yourself and Linda.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

A slight change of emphasis today.....

I've spent a fair while working out a way to capture a lot of the detail around the station building's windows. I'll never get a copy, but I wondered if I could cut plastikard and window sheeting to make a fair representation. Anyway, I've just spent 30 minutes working on the "head" surround for one window on the front of the building. I'll post more details at some later stage, this is just an experiment and I'm pleased with the result.

A close-up section of a window, image from 2001, included for comparison.

post-13778-0-77784400-1519652629_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-71793700-1519652557_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-21585100-1519652632.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's the complete external frame, simply stuffed into place. The experiment seems to have worked ok. Model filler can be added to add curves and inclines, to tidy up the whole thing.

post-13778-0-81012600-1519657356_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-52065400-1519657406_thumb.jpg

I'll return to this tomorrow, once I have a supply of the Wills sheet I'm thinking of using for the non-window area.

Jeff

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I've managed to get 3 window frames to the point where the background glaze has been attached. Filler, an interior frame and further jobs are needed, and it's a slow process.

Here's some pics. The frames, clearly, aren't sat into their recesses. I needed to judge the thickness of any brick surround before seeing how much of the frame has to protrude - the front of the frame and brick surface should be flush.

post-13778-0-69894600-1519746053_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-07529000-1519746106_thumb.jpg

The brick sheets I'm using are Wills Dressed Stone (SSMP 202) - not the Coarse Stone (SSMP 200) used on the shed!!

post-13778-0-22258400-1519746173_thumb.jpg

Jeff

ps. Any feedback is welcome. At times, I feel like I'm working in limbo.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure many of us are here, Jeff. Have you had a look at the latest from Larry (Coachmann) Goddard. He's built an 7 mm gauge bridge with Will course but you have a job to see the joins.

• RMweb Premium

4 windows done - in outline - in about 10 hours. Still, it IS enjoyable, if very fiddly. And I certainly make no claims that the end product will be a masterpiece!!

Jonathan, I appreciate your input. I'm SURE Larry's done a great job. He always does. Someone like him should have been MODELLER of the year - he produces excellent structures, whatever he does - a "proper" modeller in my opinion.

I like the Wills dressed stone and there are so many windows and doors on the station building that matching sheets "should" (I hope) be easier than on the goods shed.

Teaky, Mulgabill, Two Sugars, Mark, Steve, Chip, Edmund, Gringo, Scott - and all the rest of the regular viewers. Can I say a big "thank you" for your continued interest in this thread. Without it, I'd have stopped long ago. There have been times when I've thought about locking the thread and doing something else, but you guys keep me on track - literally.

Jeff

• Like 1

I think the Wills dressed stone is the perfect match for the station Jeff, when I looked at the earlier picture from 2001 I thought how much it looked like plasticard sso I think it will be absolutely fine. As for the windows I think you like 'fiddly' things in much the same way I do, in my case it helps focus the mind away from other things despite the odd frustration when bits go astray.

I'm glad to see you have never blocked the thread as it is one of my must read ones on my infrequent visits though I have time at the moment as we have planned to stay in for a few days whilst the weather is a bit wintry, mind you it was quite pleasant in the sunshine in the shed away from the wind this afternoon. Plenty of followers out here just some of us are quieter than others for whatever reason.

Right, back to following the 'Lions cricket team' live stream whilst trying to complete this large specimen Oak I'm working on, I might even find time to post again soon.

Oh! one last thing (off topic-sorry) for Jonathan, I will be at York on the Monday with Linda all being well.

Jim

• Like 1

Definitely dont block the thread jeff!!

It keeps me going! Although I haven’t done a thing to my own layout in the last 6 months!

Working 70 hours a week and having a 3 year old daughter doesn’t really help progress! Lol

Sometimes i get disheartened with my own layout in the loft,as I would have liked to have built it a lot wider,its only 3 foot at the widest parts of it,and to have built it using an open framework method but i was limited to space in the loft when i started the build.

But then i think not everyone has a loft with unlimited space.

Cheers

Ben