Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Whilst the pictures above are somewhat shocking, I'm sure we all fully understand and support your decision, and I hope you manage to sell your house and get settled with your dad with a minimum of fuss.

I would like to thank you for the pages and pages of inspirational modelling on KL and KL2, you have kept us informed and entertained for a long time.

All the best,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, get a piece of building land and build your dream home for the three of you with built-in railway space, because what you would like rarely exists ready built, although good luck with the search and sale.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

Next time Jef, PLEASE do as I sugessted when KL1 was dismantled, BUILD IT MODULAR NEXT TIME. :sungum:

having been in the position of needing to move layouts from one location to another, building modular layouts doesnt work. They rarely fit into the new location. Complete dismantling is a far better option and a fresh start is always better than attempting to bodge existing boards, track etc.

having been in the position of needing to move layouts from one location to another, building modular layouts doesnt work. They rarely fit into the new location. Complete dismantling is a far better option and a fresh start is always better than attempting to bodge existing boards, track etc.

I agree about not fitting, but at least you have a chance to Sell it and re coupe some reward for time and materials.

• RMweb Gold

Well Jeff you certainly surprised us.  Thank you for letting us know of the sound very important family logic behind it. 

I for one and I am sure many others have picked up useful information and added to our skill levels as a result of following your fantastic layout building.

Trusting that the sale goes smoothly - that would be a first if we found that in our experience - and that you are all soon settled in Cumbria, an area that you all obviously love.

Will look forward to any future comments and layouts that you build, together of course with your astronomy pictures and information elsewhere.

Best wishes, cheers, Peter

layouts seldom make much money. Far better to salvage and re-use.

I've sold 9 so far, and although not made a profit, the very small loss is less than would have been on taking Plaster, Grass, bent Track and wire etc to the Skip. A lot depends on  how it was built, and what items you would want to keep, and what your happy to lose.

I've probably taken a few hundred pounds worth of Plywood down the tip over the years as well from the Layouts I didn't sell.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

Hi Jeff,

Just to echo the various supportive sentiments expressed above about putting family first and foremost.

However, the shock of full frontal devastation on such quality work is hard for me to get over all the same. Thanks again for your support on the various modelling issues we've discussed by PM. Best wishes for the move.

Colin

So what's the really important news then Jeff?

Have you become a Catholic?

Best wishes for the future to you and yours. People are more important than bits of wood, metal and static grass.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.

….. a time to break down, and a time to build up …..

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

To quote a certain Sky pundit “Unbelievable Jeff”. Well that was certainly a shock. I admire you for what you have done. It must have been heart breaking destroying all that work you have put in. But family comes first every time. Good luck with the property search and I luck forward to seeing you create your next work of art in the near future.

Well, Jeff, believe it or not, you haven’t surprised me. You had not posted very much for quite some time, and I thought, perhaps, your mojo had gone down the pan, and that you had lost interest in your layout. You have often said how interested in astronomy you are, and I think you have mentioned about writing a book.

So the demise of KL comes as no surprise. What did surprise me was your moving house, after fairly recently moving in.

I can see your reasons and concur with them. I will be 83 in a few days time. So my very best wishes for the future, and hope to see son of KL at some point, hopefully soon. I can’t see me having a basket full of years left somehow.

Derek

• Like 3

Hi Jeff;

I understand your motives and offer you 100% support.  These toy trains we play with are just that.  I remember thinking I would have sacrificed everything in my railway room if I could have wound back time when I had my major life upheaval four years ago - the material things just did not matter.  But having said that, our hobbies also define us, and provide us with an escape from the stresses of life, and the humdrum of the everyday, so I am glad this is a new beginning, not an end.

You are a planner, and I'm sure you'll have given it the appropriate thought.

Because it sounds like you are going to start with another "blank slate", the only advice I will leave you with, is *do* consider making the railway room part of your home - not an out building - in your future real estate considerations.  I just think that with UK weather as uninviting as it can be that having to go outside to get to the bunker may have slowed your enthusiasm at times.  Having the railway in the house is a whole world more convenient, and makes you able to participate in activities in the house a lot more readily - you're not seen to be "disappearing into the shed" sort of thing.  But I understand this may not be or able to be a priority, depending on where you settle and the limitations of the local real estate market.

Please keep us informed here of your progress - and of course your new thread when it gets up and running.

Very best wishes

Scott

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I strongly agree with what Scott says I was already to turn my shed into a railway room, but Ill health hit me (almost had half a day out with the undertaker!) so the spare bedroom was given over to it, just so I could do something and keep my mind going in difficult times. It has proved a great success as you say I’m part of what’s going on in the house and my wife and daughter take an interest and pop up to see what I’m up to. It’s warm to. Good advice I’d say.

But I know I’m probably lucky to have such a room.

All the best with the search Jeff.

• RMweb Premium

Just a brief comment from me, I'll have more to say later...

Thank you all VERY much for the very supportive posts. I appreciate the compliments and advice you've offered and I will certainly do my best to start a new layout as soon as it's possible to do so. I already have a number of schemes in mind, but it all depends on the property we buy.

I'll keep reading everything you post and write a longer reply in a few days.

Many thanks to you all.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Don't plan too much because:

A it won't fit or, B the sale/purchase will fall through.

Or ''C'', You might decide to take up War Gaming or Slot Car Racing :no:  :nono:  :scared:  :sungum:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:    :offtopic: with Trees and walls.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Quite a surprise there Jeff especially after all the work you put into that house. As you say needs must and admiration for not thinking twice when it comes to your dad.

As for modular I would be an advocate. I have two modular layouts (yes I'm very humble in that respect) One has been shortened and resides in the cozy attic. The other has been extended and incorporated into my dream scheme. It's being worked on daily but wont be going to any more shows.

Good luck for the future Jeff, I look forward to following your next project.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Shaun, Simon, Mark....

Thanks for the continued support.

The house goes up for sale in 10 days time and I'm currently in Cumbria with dad, looking at a few properties we've singled out.

I look on here every couple of days and I'll do my best to reply and, of course, keep you posted on developments.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 7

Jeff,

I'm glad that you are doing what YOU feel is right.  If that meant giving up KL2, well, there can be KL3, or there could be something else.   

There's a line from 3 Canadians you know so well...

"We're only immortal for a limited time"

James

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I'm glad that you are doing what YOU feel is right.  If that meant giving up KL2, well, there can be KL3, or there could be something else.   

There's a line from 3 Canadians you know so well...

"We're only immortal for a limited time"

James

Excellent post, James, especially with regard to the quote from Rush.

From the song "Dreamline" on the Roll the Bones album (the 1992 Roll the Bones tour was the first time I saw them in concert)...

"When we are young, wandering the face of the Earth, wondering what our dreams might be worth.

Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time..."

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Family has to come first Jeff and better you sort something out now rather than wait until your Dad needs help and you would be forced into acting quickly. Best Wishes to you.

Don