Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, get a piece of building land and build your dream home for the three of you with built-in railway space, because what you would like rarely exists ready built, although good luck with the search and sale.

Saves a shedload of cash given away to Govt in form of stamp duty as well.

• Like 1

Hi jeff,i havent been on here for a while,going through a lack of mojo myself at the moment but the layout is still in the loft and not going anywhere!

At first when i seen your photos of KL2 being ripped up i was very surprised!

But after reading your reasons it all makes sense & of course is a no brainer!

You built an even better layout whenever youre ready pal,plus you’ve already learnt from building KL2.

All the best jeff

Cheers

Ben

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Family has to come first Jeff and better you sort something out now rather than wait until your Dad needs help and you would be forced into acting quickly. Best Wishes to you.

Don

Hi jeff,i havent been on here for a while,going through a lack of mojo myself at the moment but the layout is still in the loft and not going anywhere!

At first when i seen your photos of KL2 being ripped up i was very surprised!

But after reading your reasons it all makes sense & of course is a no brainer!

You built an even better layout whenever youre ready pal,plus you’ve already learnt from building KL2.

All the best jeff

Cheers

Ben

Thanks, Don and Ben.

Agreed, family is always top priority.

Here's how the Bunker looked 30 minutes ago. It took just over 2 weeks from initial dismantling to this state.

post-13778-0-91694900-1530542335_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Somebody's going to get a really well-appointed garage. Why not advertise it as Durham Dales railway room, £XXXk with free house?! Somebody on here must want one.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Hope you, your brother and your father are all well.  I haven't taken umbridge at all, but have been absent from rmWeb for several weeks mainly due to work but a couple of other issues have kept me fully occupied.  I wandered on tonight to find out how you were progressing with buildings to discover that (to quote my last post) England's green and pleasant lands (not to mention its stone walls) had become plastic boxes!  

Oh the shock, not only did I almost fall off my chair, but disaster almost struck and I nearly dropped my rich tea biscuit in my cold cup of tea!  Well it was hot before I nodded off!!  No, no, no ... I'm on the wrong forum I thought, either that or I have awoken to an alternative universe .... but then realism dawned you really had dismantled the layout.  A quick check back revealed why you had called it a day ... then of course I realised that in reality you have just been tricking us all, and KL, together with KL2, have just been the practice sessions for the real layout that follows next!!

Seriously, commiserations that you reached that conclusion, although totally understandable, as others have said hobbies are a must have, but family always comes first.  They say change is as a good as a rest, so it may all help with your mojo when you get chance to return.  I hope the house hunting is going well, and that you do resurrect those stone walls.  Without you, who do we have to teach the next generation (ie me!) how to build them!!  All the very best to you and the family, and I eagerly await the development of KL3 (or whatever you decide to call it!).

Rich

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh!

I just caught up on 6 months of KL2 to find it gone. It's a bit like running for the train only for the doors to close as you get there, and have to watch it pulling out of the station. I feel a bit flat.

Best of luck with your plans.

Alan

Edited by islandbridgejct

• RMweb Premium

Rich, Jonathan, Alan - thanks for the continued input. I do look on here every few days, though this is the first time I've signed in for a couple of weeks.

Apologies, again, for the sudden demise of KL. Something that just had to be done, I'm afraid. Future developments depend on the house we buy. We've already looked at a good number, and none match all the criteria we've set. Hate to admit it, but a railway room is not on the list. Some properties have potential for this, but it's not a priority. All I can add is that modelling will commence at the earliest practical opportunity.

Please keep your comments going. It's always nice to keep in touch with those who've followed my trials and tribulations over the last 6 years!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Rich, Jonathan, Alan - thanks for the continued input. I do look on here every few days, though this is the first time I've signed in for a couple of weeks.

Apologies, again, for the sudden demise of KL. Something that just had to be done, I'm afraid. Future developments depend on the house we buy. We've already looked at a good number, and none match all the criteria we've set. Hate to admit it, but a railway room is not on the list. Some properties have potential for this, but it's not a priority. All I can add is that modelling will commence at the earliest practical opportunity.

Please keep your comments going. It's always nice to keep in touch with those who've followed my trials and tribulations over the last 6 years!

Jeff

A nice big lined and insulated shed with a telescope compartment at one end and  space for KL3 at the other would do quite nicely.

Don

• Like 3

Good grief, the sun comes out, modelling stops and golf takes over.  This morning saw the first day of rain for weeks and I can't get out, so thought I'd wander in here after the best part of 4 months to see how the magnum opus is progressing and deep shock..... :O

Having skipped back a few pages just in case I was dreaming, I now understand and family always comes first.

Just keep thinking about all those 1000's of tiny stones that made up each stone wall.  Here's hoping they survived the earthquake and will appear again in a year or so....

All the best, Jeff.  Come the autumn/winter I shall enjoy reading about the next one....

Edited by gordon s

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jeff. i'm only a lurker regards KL2 but have enjoyed the posts,

hope everything goes ok looking for a property & look forward to your new venture whenever it Happens 

Alex

(a barrovian in exile)

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Just a quick message to keep in touch. Hope things are working out for you, and you’ve managed to find somewhere that fits the requirements. Keep us in mind, and look forward to your next modelling project as and when time allows.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane

Wow!

Just thought I'd check in as I haven't looked at RMWeb for months and as this is the thread I always go to first, I am left in shock! 

Wishing you all the best with your family and future endeavours

I haven't touched my own layout in over a year (I've actually been too occupied making models for someone else, so the modelling mojo hasn't entirely gone) 

I keep wondering if I should just dismantle what I've done and get the garage back. I started building it for my son when he was four. He's just turned 11 and I still haven't got the trains running.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon folks, a very brief message from me.

Thanks for the recent messages and for your continued support. I'm not sure who is actually looking on here, but the viewing tally continues to rise on a daily basis. I only wish I was able to ost something new, modelling-wise, but it'll be a while....

I'll provide news when something gets sorted out. Thanks for your interest and "loyalty".

Best wishes.

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the recent messages and for your continued support. I'm not sure who is actually looking on here, but the viewing tally continues to rise on a daily basis. I only wish I was able to ost something new, modelling-wise, but it'll be a while...

It’s those magical web elves building Google’s ultimate OO gauge layout ... come on, you don’t really think they take a car with lots of cameras on the roof around the country do you? It’s all models photographed with some secret aperatus, but until they found your thread they came totally unstuck with how to convince people they had photographed every once of dry stone walking in Cumbria!!

Take care mate. The growing number of views simply means your missed...

All the best

Rich

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Jeff,

How about an update, even if just very brief ?  Or have you fallen totally under a different spell?  (I'm at work, or all of you would be suffering from Warren Zevon's Werewolve's of London now...)

James

Looking at Jeff’s profile he has not been active on here since 22nd September. He did say he would update us when he had news. Guess we shall just have to be patient in the meantime.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello Jeff, All,

For the first time in a year or three, I thought I'd look in and see how things are progressing, oh my - quite a shock!

Jeff, your reasons are completely understandable and fully commendable, I wish you all the very best with your family and hope it all works out. 

In due course, I'm sure the railway modelling bug will bite again and you'll be back entertaining us with your many adventures.

Until then, dear boy!

John.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening everyone.

Just a very short visit to re-acquaint myself with RMweb and to say "thank you" to all who've looked on here since the demise of KL.

Things seem to be progressing on the house front, and though it may be 2021 before a new layout gets underway, I already have some outline plans.

Maybe in a few months I'll start a new thread and we can discuss ideas for the year or so before anything happens. Sounds familiar!

And yes, the layout - it'll actually be two linked ones - will be S&C, and entail building a new, small, viaduct.

That's all for now. I'll try to post an update when there's something more concrete to report.

Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Great to hear from you Jeff and I am sure we are all glad that things are progressing with you and yours. 2021 seems a long way away and you seem to be teasing us with your ideas. So, are the layouts going in a specially built home outside the main house or will you have to do some work to the house itself?

• Agree 3

17 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Evening everyone.

Just a very short visit to re-acquaint myself with RMweb and to say "thank you" to all who've looked on here since the demise of KL.

Things seem to be progressing on the house front, and though it may be 2021 before a new layout gets underway, I already have some outline plans.

Maybe in a few months I'll start a new thread and we can discuss ideas for the year or so before anything happens. Sounds familiar!

And yes, the layout - it'll actually be two linked ones - will be S&C, and entail building a new, small, viaduct.

That's all for now. I'll try to post an update when there's something more concrete to report.

Jeff.

Good to hear from you Jeff.

House, garden landscaping, observatory, layout,  - sounds familiar :)

Ready made Fells incorporated in a garden layout this time? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jonathan, Mick.

No teasing, just being cautious. We're buying a bungalow that's a mere 4 doors away from dad, completion should occur in the next few weeks. So until that's achieved I'm taking nothing for granted.

The bungalow will be extended, but the layout will go into the garage. Since nothing's ever simple, this will have to be converted, but I'm happy with that. Details at a later time.

The layout will be a U shape comprising elements of Kirkby Stephen station (as in KL, and I've still got the goods shed and station buildings to finish) connected to a scenic area based on Sheriff Brow viaduct (on the S&C near Helwith  Bridge) which spans the Ribble.

I'll use a cassette system at the scenic end, it'll be EM and a lot of fun to build. All in approx. 15' x 10'.

I'm not going to add anything else at this point as there are plenty of things that might change. So please forgive any delays in replies - yesterday's post was my first in over 6 months!

Jeff.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I've not been on RMweb for some considerable time (let alone able to catch up with layout threads like the incredible KL), I'm shocked of the recent(ish) proceedings! That said, I'm very hopeful that things will go to plan (as much as these things can do!), and that everything falls into place for you. You modelling is first-rate, and I really wish you all the best with the move. Whilst I know you're cautious (and that is wise), I'm sure that given your absolute resolve, KL will be reincarnated into yet another masterpiece in years to come. Do update us as and when, but don't feel under any pressure from us; most of us are patient (well, you have to be in this hobby sometimes; *thinks about all the dry stone walling...*!).

Good luck, Jeff!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff

It is good to hear from you. Hope the sale goes well. Glad that you are sticking with EM. I am beginning to wish I had done the same. I have an iindoor room approx 12ftx 9ft rather tight for 0 gaauge. IN EM I could fit more in and have room for some senic work.

Do build another viaduct they make a good viewpoint for watching the trains nd you made a nice job of the previous ones..

Don

• Like 2