Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

Nice to see you again Jeff.  I hope I will be around long enough to see your next effort, 2021 seems a long way ahead for such an old grump like me.

An 8 foot viaduct would be quite something.

Will the new layout be EM?

Derek

Thanks Derek.

I've sent you a PM which you may find of interest!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Derek,

Thanks for your reply. Information sent, which may be of interest. Please use my Hotmail if you want to discuss any of it.

Sorry to hear about your knees and mobility - good luck with the

4-4-0!!

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff,

I have just virtually binge read this blog over the last couple of weeks (as I had previously done with Mike's Dent account).  The effort and expertise you put into the KL2 was phenomenal. (especially the walls!).  When you first covered the main fell with flock I was mightily impressed with the effect, but then the addition of the longer grasses an d other vegetation subsequently added absolutely made it come to life. Then add the comments, advice and the humour of your other followers has made reading about your efforts a very pleasant pastime.

As the model progressed I was getting impatient for the completion of the station area, but progress slowed.  You can imagine my total horror at the destruction of the layout.  However once I read you reasons I am totally behind you.  As others have commented family must come first and make the most of the remaining days with your father.  I lost my father several years ago, and while I do not mourn for him, I do miss sharing things that happen to me and my family.

I await eagerly for the next iteration.  To recreate the essence of the S&C as both you and Mike have done is a pleasure to follow. 

I am a totally dormant model maker, but with an avid interest in finescale modelling and the qualities it can bring. (finescale as in the total accuracy of the model as opposed to the technicalities of gauge and so on.)

All the very Best

Deadringer (aka David)

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi David.

I'm glad you've enjoyed your journey through the Kirkby Luneside threads. And I also agree with your comments about the care and attention that Mike has paid to his excellent Dent layout.

Demolishing KL2 was especially hard - much more so than the original KL. However, I've learned a lot from the experience of building both of these, and the new one will incorporate further design changes. It's already drawn out on paper (after about 20 earlier drafts, so who's to say it won't change again?) - contours and all..... All I need is a place to put it, which hopefully will be solved in the near future.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Pleased to read things are moving forward for you - may I also say that you've taught us all a lot about building contours and structures, not to mention dry stone walls!  I am sure we all look forward to seeing your new masterpiece in the making!

Rich

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

That sounds like a plan, Jeff. I hope all goes well with the move and the extension/updating works. Pity you cannot have all the garage - put the car on the drive!! I hope my 009 layout will go in ours when we eventually retire, but it will be a summer only layout.

• Like 1

Good luck with the move Jeff.

Funny the twists and turns of life. I thought my teaching days were over; no more marking or report writing. Yipee!

So what am I doing now? Teaching a Y3 class of 7/8 year olds, marking and writing reports.....

What goes round comes round.....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Rare visit to the Forum, and just had a glance at Mike's Dent, to see he's got plenty on his hands.

I'm still in the Durham house. The "new" bungalow has been rewired, new boiler and heating fitted, completely gutted out, new bathroom out in and work is proceeding. Most of this done by brother and dad.

I've got all the plans drawn up for an extension, and - with any luck - we'll be in by December. 

Garage conversion planned and costed, probably starting in March next year.

Not much more that I can say at  the moment. I look in on the thread about once a month, if only to remind myself of how much (genuine) fun lies ahead. In many ways, destroying KL2 - which would have been largely complete by the end of 2019 - had given me a new canvas for a few more years of enjoyment.

I'll keep you posted as things develop....

Jeff

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Very pleased to hear you have got things settled family wise nice and close to your dad. The garage conversion and the planned layout sounds great. You will just have to put the fell on the backscene.  I look forward to seeng it develop n due course.

Don 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Don. 

And thanks to the loyal "old timers" who added the Likes/Support ratings. I'm delighted you're still looking-in on here!

I'll add one more, very positive thing. It's now well over a year since KL 2 was brutally dismantled. Until May this year I hadn't given any thought to the plan for "KL3" (it won't be called anything like that!) But, having sorted a plan - down to structures, baseboard etc, I am absolutely raring to go. 

This hobby is great, but if we're not careful it can become a chore. Providing I don't get too bogged down with the (rather large) viaduct, I think this next layout will "fizz" along. Good job I kept a lot of the walling (it's in bits, mostly 15cm long, but can be re-assembled with a bit of care/imagination)!

Details will appear when I have chance to start the project. It's actually nice to post on here - it's strange how "unusual" it is to be doing this, when several-times-a-day posting was the norm with KL2.

Thanks, again, for your interest and patience.

Jeff

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeff, I too am looking forward to the return of ?????? and all associated bits and bobs.

We lost my Mum in May, and now have a buyer for her Bungalow, so Dee and I decided last Friday to move back to the South Coast where all the Family are, 4 Kids, 4 Wives / Husbands, 4 of the 5 Grand Children, and 6 of the 8 Great Grand Children.

I'll be 70 next year and Dee 79 so we may need the Family one day, and being near is a priority now.

I'm selling New Mills, (I hope) and undecided what to do with Seven Mills Sidings, but one thing is for sure, it will be early 2020 before I get a room or somewhere sorted again. 

PLEASE don't mention this on any other threads Guys, especially mine just yet. Thanks.

I'll be watching with interest and re add this thread to my watch list.

All the very best with the move etc and keep well.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Hi Jeff,

I was chatting with a mate of mine today who mentioned he had looked in on your forum and it prompted me to have a look myself, I have not been on RMWeb very much of late due to various pressures the main one being lack of spare time. I'm pleased to read your house move is well underway and that things are on the move especially the plans for the new as yet un-named project, you always had an inspirational effect when I followed the last two incarnations and I look forward to the next instalment with bated breath, best wishes to you and the family.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/08/2019 at 14:55, Andrew P said:

Hi Jeff, I too am looking forward to the return of ?????? and all associated bits and bobs.

We lost my Mum in May, and now have a buyer for her Bungalow, so Dee and I decided last Friday to move back to the South Coast where all the Family are, 4 Kids, 4 Wives / Husbands, 4 of the 5 Grand Children, and 6 of the 8 Great Grand Children.

I'll be 70 next year and Dee 79 so we may need the Family one day, and being near is a priority now.

I'm selling New Mills, (I hope) and undecided what to do with Seven Mills Sidings, but one thing is for sure, it will be early 2020 before I get a room or somewhere sorted again. 

PLEASE don't mention this on any other threads Guys, especially mine just yet. Thanks.

I'll be watching with interest and re add this thread to my watch list.

All the very best with the move etc and keep well.

Thanks for the update, Andy. 

Sounds like you have matters in hand and will be making layouts for years to come!

Things aren't totally sorted at this end, but I'll PM you with my plans as soon as they are. There's plenty to discuss.

I'm the meantime, all the best with your own situation!

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/08/2019 at 18:59, 67A said:

Hi Jeff,

I was chatting with a mate of mine today who mentioned he had looked in on your forum and it prompted me to have a look myself, I have not been on RMWeb very much of late due to various pressures the main one being lack of spare time. I'm pleased to read your house move is well underway and that things are on the move especially the plans for the new as yet un-named project, you always had an inspirational effect when I followed the last two incarnations and I look forward to the next instalment with bated breath, best wishes to you and the family.

Cheers Mike.

Plenty of plans sorted, and desperate to get underway. But still things to sort out with the house move and then, hopefully, the fun can begin.

The new layout will be part KL and part "scenic indulgence". It MAY even have trains running!!

As for Andy (previous post) I'll keep you informed about plans/progress.

Jeff.

• RMweb Gold
On 02/09/2019 at 18:11, Physicsman said:

Cheers Mike.

Plenty of plans sorted, and desperate to get underway. But still things to sort out with the house move and then, hopefully, the fun can begin.

The new layout will be part KL and part "scenic indulgence". It MAY even have trains running!!

As for Andy (previous post) I'll keep you informed about plans/progress.

Jeff.

Ohh steady on Jeff ... "may even have trains running!" that's an outlandish statement to make this early on isn't it :) hehe. Pleased to see your looking in regularly, I do miss my regular updates of Stone Walling Monthly, and look forward to hearing what you're getting up to.  I've taken a backward (some would say!) step in recent months and gone finescale .. but in 2mm ... oops!   So along side your possible trains running, there may even be a thread from me, should anyone be interested!

Hope all is going well with the move and family and things are coming together for you - I'm sure I speak for many of us when I say, we're looking forward to having you back!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening all....

I glanced at the Forum yesterday and noticed that it was a number of weeks since I'd posted on here. I've nothing significant to say about layout progress, but my existing house is Sold Subject to Contract and work on the new one means I should be living there by Christmas.

Everything is planned and costed for the garage conversion, whenever that might start. So many things to do, but a new observatory has been commissioned for installation in May next year, so it looks like a busy 2020.

Apologies I can't be more specific, but - hopefully - by this time next year there may be a layout room. I've set targets - 3 weeks to convert the garage (8 weeks for KL2 and 16 weeks for KL), and having saved a lot of the L-girders, boards could be in place relatively rapidly.

There is the issue of the viaduct - and the thought of building that makes me salivate!

All the best to any visitors to the thread. Patience is a virtue.....

Jeff

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Signed contracts on my Mums Bungalow last Friday and ours goes on the market on Tuesday, 8th Oct. I've been down souf and found a nice bungalow and hope it's still available once ours has sold.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Andy, Jonathan, thanks for the comments.

Always amazes me how quickly people react to a post. Wish I had something positive to show you.

If you want to see a splendid set of S&C pics, look at the stuff Mike has posted on Dent this evening.

Andy - hope the move to the deep netherlands goes well (!!!!) I'm sure we'll keep each other informed of progress.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Don.

I've just been in what will become the new Bunker, sorting out frame positions and how I'll do the ceiling. The "action" may be months away but it's nice to have a workable scheme.

Jeff

• Like 2