Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott.

Naked Bunker? Brings back memories of the old days - Mankini man, sausages and the like.

I will post some pics of the garage when I start the new thread - and I'll do that early next year, allowing discussion before work starts. I'll even post up the "grand plan" at that time. I might even ask for suggestions for a layout name. I've already thought of a couple I like, so we'll see what you guys come up with.

NO FELL in the new scheme, but MORE walling than KL!

Good to hear from you, too. Once I start to spend more time on here I'll have a good look at Stockrington.

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just to let the regulars on here know that Jim Willcox, aka "Aberdare", a major contributor to the KL/KL2 threads, has passed away.

A lovely guy, he will be greatly missed.

Thanks to AndyP for pointing out his obituary in the MM&M section.

RIP Jim.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening folks.

I've noticed activity on Mike's Dent thread and thought I'd just pop in to say "Happy New Year" to all Lunesters, and anyone else who finds the KL incarnations of interest.

I'll hopefully be starting a new thread in the near future, but we'll just wait and see about that.

In the meantime, enjoy your modelling!

Jeff

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, Happy New Year to you too. Hope all goes well with the new abode and eventual model railway. I will be joining the ranks of the retired (again) this summer although I have to wait until November for the Dept of Work and Pensions to cough up.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Jonathan, congrats on your SECOND retirement! If you have to wait a few months for your pension you'll have to stop buying all those models. Or get your wife to bail you out :-)

I've still got a lot of things to sort before anything concrete (literally and metaphorically) can start, but plans have been sorted for months now. Never one to "tempt fate", I'll start the new thread when I'm certain that something is DEFINITELY going to happen.

in the meantime guys you can continue to get your "fix" from Mike's excellent Dent thread, especially with his recent piccies.

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers lads.

I will hopefully be able to start a new thread in early February. No construction work will be possible until autumn, but I will endeavour to put my plans into the new thread to give you a proper idea of how I visualise things.

Bridges, the viaduct, board sizes and positions etc are all drawn out to scale, ready for "action".

In the meantime the practical aspects of the layout - provisionally titled "Gill Head" - will have to wait.

Kirkby Luneside  station area meets Arten Gill viaduct just about sums it up!

I'll say no more until the new thread commences!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Jeff,

good to hear your positive news. I was looking back at KL(1) to see the original plans, specifically about the original viaduct when I came across this on p3 (June 2012)

"...I'm hoping the project will keep me going for a couple of years - at least! Should be fun, especially as I enjoy building work of all kinds. Thank goodness for power tools!!"

I don't know your setting location at all and regarding the viaduct, I gather the combo of Viaduct in KL 1 /2 with KS station is a construct as will be the reborn version. Fabulous setting all the same,

Best wishes for 2020,

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Colin.

Thanks for looking in. Hopefully there may be something to interest you in the next year or so. No Fell, but plenty of alternative landscape!

I hope you are all managing in the Melbourne area. Our thoughts are with you out there - I've just had an update from Scott (jukebox) in Perth.

Best wishes and take care.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all.

Quick message.

Completion on the sale of my old house is due this Friday. Once this has happened I won't feel I'm "tempting fate" by starting something I won't be able to progress with.....

So I'm planning to start the new thread either next week or the following. 

Jeff

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good news, Jeff and hope all goes well with the completion. Really looking forward to the start of the new thread. I hope you'll signpost on this thread so we know where to look.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Hi all.

Quick message.

Completion on the sale of my old house is due this Friday. Once this has happened I won't feel I'm "tempting fate" by starting something I won't be able to progress with.....

So I'm planning to start the new thread either next week or the following. 

Jeff

Why is that Solicitors / Conveyancers have this thing about completing on a Friday?:no:

There all trying to do everything on the same day, and Removal Companies run out of Lorries, especially if it has to be short notice.

Good luck Jeff.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy.

Fortunately, having bought the "new" house last June, we were able to move stuff from Willington to Cumbria over a number of months. The main Removal happened at the start of December, and the old house has been empty since.

I agree, the solicitor "industry" is - literally - a law unto itself. 

I hope you are making progress with your own move. We NEED to get on with some modelling, don't we.

After all, how soon will it be before you're demanding GR*SS!!?

Jeff

• Like 4

He said; Walls, let there be Walls, and there was Walls. Bl**dy miles of the darn things, you could see Wall where ever you looked, haha.

Also seen Jason pop his head up on a couple of threads recently.:o

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Very good, Andy.

I can promise you that, even WITHOUT a Fell, the next layout will have EVEN MORE walls and grass!

It MIGHT even have some moving locos/trains by the time I've "finished"!!

J.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Very good, Andy.

I can promise you that, even WITHOUT a Fell, the next layout will have EVEN MORE walls and grass!

It MIGHT even have some moving locos/trains by the time I've "finished"!!

J.

Careful Jeff,

Thats getting into the same area as the old 'Dangerous Talk' posters during the war!  Mention of 'mov**g l****s/t****s' and it will be expected by Christmas .. unless your AP when we'll be at that stage by Easter!

Hope all goes well and glad things are finally moving forward for you - looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Rich.

The layout has been planned out in detail since last May. As always, there'll be problems to overcome and changes to be made. It would be boring if everything was straightforward.

I reckon I might get the garage converted late summer, and with the experience gained from the last effort (KL2), I should be able to make rapid progress with the station area - which is basically a copy of KL2.

But what I'm REALLY looking forward to is building the viaduct....and to enhancing the walls a bit compared to the last lot.

Anyway, more of that later. I'm looking forward to some good chit-chat once we get the new thread going.

Jeff.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Why is that Solicitors / Conveyancers have this thing about completing on a Friday?:no:

There all trying to do everything on the same day, and Removal Companies run out of Lorries, especially if it has to be short notice.

Good luck Jeff.

The solicitors like to be in the office to check that the money comes through from a sale before releasing it for the purchase. So it has become traditional for it to be done on a friday and a lot of people like it because they have the weekend to unpack in their new home. Of course if there is a long chain in a small town all the local removal firms will get booked up. Also if there is a long chain it may be quite late before the keys are available to the last in the chain. Especially if like one solicitor in Coleford FOD he would take a long lunch.

One friend got the keys around midday and the removal people drove to the new place only to find the family at the new place sat down eating dinner and the ex-owner said 'we thought we would move tomorrow'. Phone calls to solicitors followed and the ex-owner was advised the contract stated vacant possession. The removal had to take out of the house and stand on the drive all their furnitue and possessions. Then unload my friends stuff into the house. Before loading up the ex-owners stuff onto their van not doubt charging them quite a lot.

Any way great news Jeff

Don

• Agree 1