Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

8 hours ago, Physicsman said:

There should be no problem, Jonathan.

The thread will be titled "Gill Head" and will be in the S&C section....as you'd expect!

Jeff

Hi Jeff - good to hear some positive news on your layout progress.

Do you remember how I'm something of a stone thrower?

Gill Head  :huh:

Now I'm not sure how wedded you are to that name, but....

billy_joel_glass_houses_mofi.jpg.a4c7b2484088bd39adc651e9d9b69d27.jpg

Are you sure you don't want to open an Ordnance Survey Map of the area up, and find a nice amalgam of evocative place names that are plausibly S&C, without being too location specific?

https://www.walkingclub.org.uk/hills/2505/Dent

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but I think the reason Gill Head isn't resonating with me is that it sounds like two surnames... to wit: Arten Gill / Dent Head.   There's a lot of place names in the region that (to me, anyway) scream Yorkshire Dales when they are combined.

Haygarth Fell

Lune Head

Deepdale Beck

Mossdale Gill

(you get the idea, I'm sure)

*crickets*

Okay, it's only 8 hours since you posted, and you haven't even opened the new thread, but that bloody Aussie has already started in... 

I'll grab my coat and shut up for a bit.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Donw said:

The solicitors like to be in the office to check that the money comes through from a sale before releasing it for the purchase. So it has become traditional for it to be done on a friday and a lot of people like it because they have the weekend to unpack in their new home. Of course if there is a long chain in a small town all the local removal firms will get booked up. Also if there is a long chain it may be quite late before the keys are available to the last in the chain. Especially if like one solicitor in Coleford FOD he would take a long lunch.

One friend got the keys around midday and the removal people drove to the new place only to find the family at the new place sat down eating dinner and the ex-owner said 'we thought we would move tomorrow'. Phone calls to solicitors followed and the ex-owner was advised the contract stated vacant possession. The removal had to take out of the house and stand on the drive all their furnitue and possessions. Then unload my friends stuff into the house. Before loading up the ex-owners stuff onto their van not doubt charging them quite a lot.

Any way great news Jeff

Don

We had a similar experience when we arrived at our new home from on one of our moves, where the two Sons said to our Pickfords Driver; we'll start after we get back from the Pub. Once again a phone call to our solicitor, he phoned the sellers Solicitor, who, after completion at Lunch time had gone off for the weekend, and our solicitor said he was not aloud to speak to the seller or advise them, it would be down to us to talk to them.

We always tell our Solicitor / Conveyancer that we want a mid week completion since then, so that at least there is someone you can speak to, and can get your removals men ok without them wanting a long weekend and early finish as well. 

I also feel that the Seller and the Buyer should sign a separate declaration confirming that they know the agreed details of completion at Lunch time, and that there should be a clean and empty property for the purchaser to move into at 1300 hrs.

Our move this time will be a two day affair, with our Removal Company having already confirmed to us that they will be loaded and gone from here, for the journey South by about 1400hrs, giving us plenty of time for a final clean and drop the keys off at the Estate Agents ready for completion the following day, before we set off Souf and I wave a very sad farewell to TOPS.

Jeff, Sorry to Hi jack your thread with my waffle.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Why is that Solicitors / Conveyancers have this thing about completing on a Friday?:no:

And not just for conveyancing. Solicitors seem to do their work during the week but save sending anything out until late Friday afternoon. I am beginning to think that they like b****ring up peoples' weekends.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Our move this time will be a two day affair, with our Removal Company having already confirmed to us that they will be loaded and gone from here, for the journey South by about 1400hrs, giving us plenty of time for a final clean and drop the keys off at the Estate Agents ready for completion the following day, before we set off Souf and I wave a very sad farewell to TOPS.

Does that suggest you’ve got some progress with emigrating to that place known as the southern counties? Passsport, modellers visa and green card for railway operating all sorted?? :)

Rich

45 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Does that suggest you’ve got some progress with emigrating to that place known as the southern counties? Passsport, modellers visa and green card for railway operating all sorted?? :)

Rich

No progress yet Rich, I will keep you all informed of any movement down below.:o:no:

• Friendly/supportive 1

34 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Fear not, Andy, we’re not all heathens down here.....

There’s more to life than cloth caps and Whippets.....:D

Cheers Gordon, It will be good to get back down there in many respects, lots of meals out with the family / Wife's 4 kids that I took on when they were 12 and 13, (two sets of Twins, now 55 and 56), 4 husbands and wives, 3 of the 4 Grandchildren, now in their 30's and 6 of the Great Grandchildren.

Last time we went down we were taken to The Old Thorns for a meal, a place you probably know well, and very nice it was too.

So yes, I hope to spoil them all, and get spoilt back in return, haha, Oh and I will need some volunteers to help me sort out a new Modelling Room. So it's good by to TOPS / The Old Potting Shed, and hello POD / ? / Pit of Dooooom:pickeat:

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

If that’s Old Thorns Golf Club, then you’re right, I’ve played there many times. If it was some years ago when you were last there, you won’t recognise it as they have made massive investments in the gym, health club and hotel.

Nice part of the country, but then everywhere in the UK is pretty once you get out into the country and away from the cities.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, gordon s said:

If that’s Old Thorns Golf Club, then you’re right, I’ve played there many times. If it was some years ago when you were last there, you won’t recognise it as they have made massive investments in the gym, health club and hotel.

Nice part of the country, but then everywhere in the UK is pretty  once  you get out into the country and away from the cities.

Yes the Golf course, it was last June, and we sat on the balcony drinking wine before the meal and watching the Deer wandering across the course.

My Granddaughter and her boyfriend stayed there last weekend for her 30th Birthday.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, lads - you HAVE been having a good woffle while I've been away, haven't you?

I've been in Willington with no internet - aside from the phone - and the Completion is done and dusted. I now have the money, so I can get on with work on the Barrow house without worrying about the old one.

New thread shortly.

Names? I like Gill Head, it's appropriate and is not negotiable. I'll say more when the new thread starts.

Jeff

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Well, lads - you HAVE been having a good woffle while I've been away, haven't you?

I've been in Willington with no internet - aside from the phone - and the Completion is done and dusted. I now have the money, so I can get on with work on the Barrow house without worrying about the old one.

New thread shortly.

Names? I like Gill Head, it's appropriate and is not negotiable. I'll say more when the new thread starts.

Jeff

Congratulations Jeff, least you now can move forward, without looking back as they say.  As for appropriate is the 'b' word that we are not suppose to mention leading to a militant tone to the new thread :) .... I'm with you, 'up the revolution!' .. or should that be 'up the fell"?  Personally I like Gill Head, has a ring to it that suggests a bleak moorland in Cumbria far far far from civilisation and a pub ;)

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Personally I like Gill Head, has a ring to it that suggests a bleak moorland in Cumbria far far far from civilisation and a pub ;)

Rich

Like most of the stations on the S&C.

• Agree 1

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 13:39, Physicsman said:

New thread shortly.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

How are you doing, I thought you was moving near Lancaster or have I lost my direction :blink: . I've not been on here for a while because of work / life issues but I will get there so apologies for this.   

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark.

Thanks for posting - I enjoyed our exchange of PMs. Keep me posted with any developments on the "life" front. As for this thread, well it's "treading water", waiting for me to get off my fat derriere and start the new thread. Just for woffle, as nothing's going to be built for a good while.

Lancaster was a close guess ... Barrow's only 40 miles from there - if you can fly!

Keep in touch.

Jeff

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Peter.

Very nice to hear from you. Great to see you're still looking in on here.

Apologies - AGAIN - for the delay in starting the new thread. Not that it really matters at this moment, aside from me giving a general outline of plans and then we all woffle (which is good!!) for 6 months!

And Peter, I'm not sure there'll be much that's new - I think you'll recognise the (almost) identical station area (shame I hadn't been able to save the old boards). Yes, I'll do some things differently there, but it may be the viaduct, valley and cutting you'll find of most interest. 

Keep checking on me and start nagging if we reach Christmas (2020) and I still haven't started...... :-) :-) !!

Jeff

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Keep checking on me and start nagging if we reach Christmas (2020) and I still haven't started...... :-) :-) !!

Jeff

Your doing better than many of us Jeff - you've put a year to which Christmas your aiming at!!!  :yahoo_mini:  

My go to response is usually that I said Christmas .. just not which one! Hope things are progressing well in the back with everything.

Rich

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi All.

My first visit to the Forum in a month, caused, as usual, by spotting a post from Mike. A PROPER post with piccies - makes me desperate to be building something!

I just wanted to wish everyone "all the best" and hope you are all taking care and staying safe.

Extension work on the new house ground to a halt with the lockdown, and garden development has all but ceased. I was hoping to start the garage conversion this autumn, but everything's now unpredictable, so I'll keep you posted.

In the meantine, focus on staying healthy. Everything else is secondary.

All the very best.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Glad to hear you are well Jeff but sorry to hear that progress on the place has been halted. We were lucky to be able to get some stuff delivered they had closed the gates but were completing deliveries ordered by trade customers. We have ordered so much over the years we get treated as trade. The parking area by the gate is awash with bulk bags and pallets. 

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear from you Jeff and that you and yours are keeping well in these trying times. I hope you are able to do some planning for a few "what might be?" A bit frustrating not being able to get to my layout but I'm spending some of my time repairing wagons and vans that have been in the "to do" box for several years in some cases. I've also got my stash of wagon kits with me and the 3P loco kit which was started Christmas before last, so I've no excuses. But as you say, there are far more serious things to think about at the moment.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening everybody.

A very quick post from me, especially hoping that you are all safe and well from this destructive virus.

And Mike (Dent) - hope the leg/back nerve problem clears up very soon.

UPDATE: I expect to start converting the garage in late September. I EXPECT to be building L-girder frames within a fortnight of starting and be well on with viaduct construction by November.

So plenty to look forward to. Pics and comments once I start.

Oh, and Steve (ramrig) - if you're still looking in - I hope you've built some walls by now. And Chip - looking forward to more pics, once I start.

Andy - I guess you've moved by now and have a layout already built. Jason - did you move to Chester.

Scott - hope Western Oz is doing better than Victoria on the covid front.

All the very best to ALL Lunesters!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Evening everybody.

Oh, and Steve (ramrig) - if you're still looking in - I hope you've built some walls by now. 

I have finally started building Stone Walls!!! Is your email address the same Jeff or do you want me to post a couple of picture's here?

Steve aka Ramrig 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ramrig said:

I have finally started building Stone Walls!!! Is your email address the same Jeff or do you want me to post a couple of picture's here?

Steve aka Ramrig 

WELL DONE that man!

Please feel free to post on here.

I'm looking forward to seeing what people have been up to, and - I know it's crazy - but given all the walling that I'll need for the new layout, I'll be trying even smaller bits to raise the level of realism.

Lots to look forward to!

Jeff.

Ps. My email is as before, and I still have yours.

Edit: walK to walL......bl**dy spellchecker!

Edited by Physicsman
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Here you go Jeff.

This was my first attempt, started a couple of weeks ago. I have not coloured the DAS as yet. The gate requires painting and weathering, Also the other gate post is now stone as well. The stile in the distance has been replaced with a stone one and the wall has also grown on the other embankment. I must take more images outside of the progress. This is a small narrow gauge 009 layout to try a few things out before progressing to the larger project. I've not started a thread on here as yet.

I must agree with you, wall building is very time consuming.............. but very rewarding. Looking forward to seeing your new layout progress.

1157234299_Wall1.jpg.835480cf6022a6a1a1e97fa78ee50001.jpg

2117583548_Wall2.jpg.5f28218c04c34ad5a13fd457037fe235.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5