Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I presume the yard had ash ballast rather than 'normal' ballast. CARRS do a decent ash ballast (it's what I used on Bacup). It's a pain to lay.

Interesting comment as we had this discussion on KL - AFTER I'd ballasted the sidings with standard granite chippings.

I then removed the ballast and replaced it with sand - seemed to work quite well (see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53448-kirkby-luneside-fell-walling-commences/page-315 and page 316 post # 7894 for a result).

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

It pays to take a back seat for a while, having caught up on about a month or more all I can say is "my ghast is completely and utterly flabbered" stunning effects well worth all the effort.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

It pays to take a back seat for a while, having caught up on about a month or more all I can say is "my ghast is completely and utterly flabbered" stunning effects well worth all the effort.

Thanks very much, Mike.

Especially satisfying when it comes from the guy whose Dent layout is a bit of a masterpiece.

Always nice to get reactions like that from peers you respect. Cheers!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've done a bit more walling today - another 3 hours in fact. But you've heard all that before.

So, something a little bit different....yes, more walling. Hang on! Before you all flee, it's not QUITE the same!

I've been messing around with different grey and brown acrylics, trialling diluted mixtures onto bits of defunct walling. I came up with my "favourite" and was pleased when my brother selected the same colour, out of a choice of 5. I've spent a bit of time Googling Lakeland dry stone wall images and found quite a range in colour/tone. So I'm quite happy with what I've come up with.

You want pics? Here's a couple:

post-13778-0-50706200-1471711290_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-50694300-1471711293_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edit: The second image shows the contrast between the pristine white of the DAS clay, and something a bit more realistic.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys.

I've now painted about 95% of the walling and will give the bricklaying a rest, for a while.

Plenty more to do as we approach a year since layout building started.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the feedback. It's always useful!

Here's a comparison of the Fell and Helvellyn/Red Tarn (taken at the end of August 2013). There's a reasonable correlation in the colours.

post-13778-0-24356100-1471916633_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-70229400-1471916635_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 18

Nice job on the ground cover, Jeff.

Question:  What sort of quantity of plaster do you think you used for the fell?  (as in dry mix)  I've got a source for Hydrocal here in Perth, that sells trade sized bags - but I want to get a handle on how much I need, and The Fell is not dissimilar in surface area to my open landscaped side.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Morning (evening for you) Scott.

I used 3 x 25kg bags (dry) of Plaster of Paris and, say, another 25kg of plaster filler - so about 100kg - on the Fell.

I used the filler for the fine detailing bits as the PoP setting time of around 5 minutes was a pain in the backside. However, I have to say that it's as hard as nails - my drills don't like going near the stuff.

You should set up business with the hydrocal - you'd be a millionaire at the price Woodland Scenics sells the stuff!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Methinks you may have gone slightly overboard on the boulders mate; the Pennines and Helvellyn are very different in geology and form, with the latter having much steeper and rockier slopes.

• RMweb Premium

The boulders thing just happens to be a coincidence - the Helvellyn pic was the first I came across to show the colour similarity.

The boulders were put in as the remnants of a break-off from the rock face above them. I thought they'd provide an area for longer, scraggy static grass. No boulders elsewhere other than in the stream.

Jeff

• Like 1

Morning (evening for you) Scott.

I used 3 x 25kg bags (dry) of Plaster of Paris and, say, another 25kg of plaster filler - so about 100kg - on the Fell.

I used the filler for the fine detailing bits as the PoP setting time of around 5 minutes was a pain in the backside. However, I have to say that it's as hard as nails - my drills don't like going near the stuff.

You should set up business with the hydrocal - you'd be a millionaire at the price Woodland Scenics sells the stuff!!

Jeff

Thanks very much Jeff - it's a lot more than I expected, which is not really a surprise given the scale of the fell.

My local prices are 1.8kg carton Woodland scenics for $23 (about 13GBP).  I can buy 25kg bags of Hydrocal 105 for $50 ea. (29GBP). I'll stick with buying one bag to start - it's not too much hassle to go back later for more.

For the scale I expect to use given your estimates, it would be madness to go the Woodland Scenic route....

• Like 1