Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

It looks far better with the mortar added, a huge improvement.

I think I know what was up with the Hornby locos; I suspect that it is the silly pickups method that relies on contact between the strips and two studs- one on the chassis block itself. They are a massive pain in the backside to deal with if you remove the keeper plate and a nightmare to get back in. The result being that I am going to try glueing PCB to the bottom of the keeper plate and run beryllium wire pickups off that to the blanking plug and probably hard wire in the tender pickups at the same time. If it goes pear shaped, it is reversible :)

• RMweb Premium

It looks far better with the mortar added, a huge improvement.

I think I know what was up with the Hornby locos; I suspect that it is the silly pickups method that relies on contact between the strips and two studs- one on the chassis block itself. They are a massive pain in the backside to deal with if you remove the keeper plate and a nightmare to get back in. The result being that I am going to try glueing PCB to the bottom of the keeper plate and run beryllium wire pickups off that to the blanking plug and probably hard wire in the tender pickups at the same time. If it goes pear shaped, it is reversible :)

I knew you'd sort the problem out with those locos. Funny thing, though. Why did they start to mis-behave at the Stafford meet? Or was it just a case of them not being used for ages?

Haven't had the chance to run the 25/08 yet - I cam straight over to dad's on Sunday.

Thanks for the mortar comment. I emailed a pic to my brother and he thinks it looks good. All I see is a feckin mess, though I do admit that the mortar is "right" and the gaps were totally wrong!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Come on Jeff no cutting corners - everyone knows you apply mortar with a trowel :senile:

Having no real idea how DAS works or is worked could you not just make a sloppy mix of Plaster of Paris tinted with some acrylic paint and just flood it on and gently wipe off the excess leaving enough to highlight the mortar lines.

Yes, Mike. I was virtually trowelling/shovelling the "mortar" onto the bricks!

I'm annoyed I haven't brought the paint with me as I'd like to have finished the job after the gunge had been mortared in.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, that mortaring looks the business. I hope you used hydraulic lime mortar as cement-based stuff causes havoc with natural stonework in years to come.

• RMweb Premium

Update: I thought I'd better add something as I don't like it too quiet on here.

I'm still at my dad's, but I've a project on the go. I may get some pics on here tomorrow, we'll see!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh I wouldn't worry about it being quiet Jeff, just means we're all sat in darkened rooms, contemplating how we can continue modelling, against the stunning effects your managing.... Your setting me thinking about remaking my shed building, with individual bricks ..... see if you'd just kept quiet today, I wouldn't have had that thought!!!

:) Looking forward to seeing the latest pics tomorrow.

Rich

I thought I'd add this image:

31620541441_10abdd2de4.jpg3/4 overview of the goods shed by Peach James, on Flickr

Which is as the description- my goods shed as a 3/4 on shot.  It was painted up about 21 years ago.  (oh...!)  when I was doing my engineering training & was bored of listening to "this is a screwdriver" :).  Practical examples of drafting.  It is posterboard, scaled to be a 2/3rds length model of of an S&C goods shed.  (I took one bay out, because Long Marton 1.0 was "only" 16' when assembled).

13527300593_a659404699.jpgDSC_0016 by Peach James, on Flickr

(that's in dad's rental house basement, in Elliot Lake- at that point, I had the lathe, mill & shaper & railway in the basement.  That version of Long Marton went to GBTS 1996, and was subsequently scrapped a year later after I was in the forces.  Total length was 18')

I could see no way of getting the corners right other than either doing what Jeff has done & making it of individual stones, or by painting on lines over posterboard.  The corners are very distinctive in the whole deal...

James

• RMweb Premium

Speaking of buildings....

Here's a few pics to show what I've been doing for the last few days. 4mm ply, as with the goods shed, and the Kirkby Stephen station building as the prototype. There's another section to tag on, but this is where I stand at the moment.

post-13778-0-44633500-1500220153_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-09342600-1500220225_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-38499000-1500220284_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-09629600-1500220339_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-77800000-1500220398_thumb.jpg

The brickwork on the station building is a bit too fine for DAS bricks, so I'll have a look at the Slaters/Wills plastikard alternatives. 

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Always amuses me as to why there were rarely any doors on the none-railway side of S&C buildings. Your shell makes my card effort look rather flimsy, Jeff. You could always go the P4 Heckmondwike way and cut "stones" from individually scribed and cut bits of plastikard.

post-16241-0-15698800-1500224812.jpg

I got the picture from the London P4 website and will remove if it infringes copyright.

The hand-painted LMS seems rather quaint given what is available today.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of buildings....

Here's a few pics to show what I've been doing for the last few days. 4mm ply, as with the goods shed, and the Kirkby Stephen station building as the prototype. There's another section to tag on, but this is where I stand at the moment.

attachicon.gifStation drawing 1.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5567.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5570.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5571.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5572.JPG

The brickwork on the station building is a bit too fine for DAS bricks, so I'll have a look at the Slaters/Wills plastikard alternatives. 

Jeff

Absolutely Stunning!  You need to stop being so good, your making me re-think everything I'm doing, never going to get anywhere at this rate!  Seriously, nice job Jeff.

Can you apply the same techniques to my new railway room in the garden by any chance :) 12 inches to 1 foot scale :) Sure we can reach arrangement over the odd union issues such as biscuits and cups of tea! Haha :)

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely Stunning!  You need to stop being so good, your making me re-think everything I'm doing, never going to get anywhere at this rate!  Seriously, nice job Jeff.

Can you apply the same techniques to my new railway room in the garden by any chance :) 12 inches to 1 foot scale :) Sure we can reach arrangement over the odd union issues such as biscuits and cups of tea! Haha :)

Rich

Evening Rich.

I'm still at my dad's, going home Tuesday (then I can get the goods shed painted). I've eaten far too many biscuits while I've been over here! My fingers are sore, but glad you like the station shell. Looks like plastikard to cover it, so - potentially - a bit easier (and quicker) than DAS!

Steve,

The plan is drawn onto the ply (see not very good pic below) on both sides and the wood attacked with a Stanley knife (with new blade attached). It's slow work, and I think I've lost a few pounds sweating through the job! Much easier with card or 2mm ply, but I like working with thicker ply so have to put up with the inconvenience!

post-13778-0-04611800-1500233124_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Evening Rich.

I'm still at my dad's, going home Tuesday (then I can get the goods shed painted). I've eaten far too many biscuits while I've been over here! My fingers are sore, but glad you like the station shell. Looks like plastikard to cover it, so - potentially - a bit easier (and quicker) than DAS!

Steve,

The plan is drawn onto the ply (see not very good pic below) on both sides and the wood attacked with a Stanley knife (with new blade attached). It's slow work, and I think I've lost a few pounds sweating through the job! Much easier with card or 2mm ply, but I like working with thicker ply so have to put up with the inconvenience!

attachicon.gifIMG_5562.JPG

Jeff

Haha, sounds a good move - I note you didn't take up my building offer ... I'll take that as a decline then! :)

Have you thought about getting laser cut ply at all for buildings?  Somebody like York Modelmaking could do it for you?  I used them to laser cut the MDF for my shed building.

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Haha, sounds a good move - I note you didn't take up my building offer ... I'll take that as a decline then! :)

Have you thought about getting laser cut ply at all for buildings?  Somebody like York Modelmaking could do it for you?  I used them to laser cut the MDF for my shed building.

Rich

I hadn't considered doing that and, for "old fashioned" reasons, I wouldn't do so. Part of the fun of scratchbuilding is to test your skills when building something from a range of raw materials. To me, that includes all the planning, marking out and cutting. I'm sure laser cut stuff looks neater, but - and it's only MY approach - if I was going that far then I'd commission someone to make the buildings for me, or modify RTP stuff.

I'm not criticising in any way. Everyone is entitled to do things in whatever way they want. I just like doing the whole process myself. And if it looks crap, then I'll have another go at improving it.

Good luck with the laser stuff if you feel it works for you. :D  :D  :D  :D

Jeff

I'm still trying to get over that you cut that ply by hand with a Stanley knife, Jeff!

Like you, I've got a preference for thin ply for the carcass of structures - it's probably groundless, but I have a fear about the longevity of card - and every now and again, have a bit of think about the loco shed and station build I'll need to construct.

I think there's a place for the laser work - there's some great stuff being done over on the Darkly Labs forum here, as well as the automated knife work using a Silhouette machine.  I'm pretty sure that either would pay for itself if anyone intended to get a lot of stuff etched or laser cut (thinking decorative iron brackets and tracery, even window frames and barge boards.  The RMWeb "early adopters" who are showing their skills are in the same league as you with your dry stone walls.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Part of the fun of scratchbuilding is to test your skills when building something from a range of raw materials. To me, that includes all the planning, marking out and cutting. I'm sure laser cut stuff looks neater, but - and it's only MY approach - if I was going that far then I'd commission someone to make the buildings for me, or modify RTP stuff.

I agree entirely with you Jeff, although, like you I would never presume to suggest everyone should do it, but I really enjoy working out how to represent a subject, and what methods to use to build it.

As Scott says above, the Silhouette cutter is a very useful tool to create things which would be endlessly repetitive, or too small and fiddly to reproduce by hand, but it is limited by the thickness of the material it can cut, so for items with a large relief you either have to do do it by creating separate layers, which is a challenge in itself, or find another way.

Great job on the station mate, It's going to look great.

Al.

I hadn't considered doing that and, for "old fashioned" reasons, I wouldn't do so. Part of the fun of scratchbuilding is to test your skills when building something from a range of raw materials. To me, that includes all the planning, marking out and cutting.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Been quietly following your progress for a while, and I think thats a good answer. I like laser cut stuff, but with me it's more how many fingers I'd lose with a Stanley knife! As you say, each to his own - for me, I still do the design, measurements and working out, and then the transfer of drawings to the computer is my 'cutting' phase. But I'm full of admiration for what your doing - I think if you commissioned someone to do the building it wouldn't come out half as good, nothing against anyone doing that or those offering such a service, but it wouldn't meet the expectation in your mind.

Carry on with the superb work, your layout is nothing short of amazing!!

Richie

Edited by Richie Kynaston

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments, lads.

Please bear in mind that there is a certain naivety in some of the things I do. Since scratch building buildings is relatively new to me it didn't seem "wrong" to use 4mm ply rather than card. If it hadn't worked I'd have just tried something else.

I have to admit that it's very enjoyable just starting something and seeing where it leads - with no preconceptions (other than it might be a slow job!)

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Great work as usual. A suggestion though (or more of a concern, it may be measure out to be OK) that the thickness might be too great on the screen on the main platform facing door. It's just wood on the real thing so it could end up looking rather too chunky.

• RMweb Premium

Back home now, so I can now get on with work on the goods shed and station building. Lots to do, so I should be busy for a couple of weeks!

More updates and pics when there's something worth showing. Today is a "rest day"!!

Jeff

• Like 3