Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I had a mess around with MEK solvent and tried some diagonal cuts. The first worked reasonably and the diagonal cuts were very effective. The problem with the latter is that given the sheet size, in order to match-up the bricks there always ends up with a vertical join nearby. Anyway, effective solutions are usually simple....

Here are two sheets, butted-up against each other to show the "territory" involved:

post-13778-0-08104200-1501667276_thumb.jpg

The next pic shows the equivalent of the two sheets, fixed onto the ply shell with window apertures cut out.

Along the line of the join I've cut out a selection of stones. I did this retrospectively. It was easy enough with a scalpel and Stanley knife (even though the sheet was firmly fixed to the ply with evo-stik), but it would be much easier to do, with pre-planning (hahaha), before glueing:

post-13778-0-20342300-1501667406_thumb.jpg

The gaps were filled using brick bits cut off a spare offcut sheet. Glued in place with superglue, model filler added, allowed to set and cleaned-up. Not perfect but when primed and painted it'll look tidier. The numerous in-fill bricks, straddled across the vertical join, take the eye away from the original join. I've a couple more joins to do, which I'll cut before glueing. Since it's easier, I can do a few more in-fills than shown here.

post-13778-0-14459000-1501667342_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich.

I've made a fair attempt with the sheets; it may look acceptable once done. However, I'll be interested to see what the article has to say.

And for reference....Diagonal cutting on sheets is effective. But unless you're prepared to freelance a lot of joins, you still end up with verticals.

At the end of the day, it's a model. So no big deal if perfection is out of reach!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

See your email :)  ... as you say no big deal if its not perfect, but if your anything like me its going to nag away at you until you put it right!!  We're awkward sods with hobbies and getting things right at the end of the day aren't we!

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Here's a view from slightly further away. You can see the mods made at the left side of the shed. The blue tinge of model filler highlights where the work has been done, but otherwise - especially when painted - the carve-up would be less noticeable. And vertical joins are far less evident.

post-13778-0-52696600-1501669182_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The photo at a distance looks good, Jeff, but perhaps you should avoid vertical joints which go over three or more courses.

Good point and I'll be working along those lines. The photo is of a work in progress. The cut-outs and fill-ins were only done this morning and rushed to show the method.

Having said that, I don't think I'll be changing much.

Al - thanks for your usual supportive comments.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here's a batch of pics showing the work at one end of the shed. Stone cut-outs, fill-ins, filler addeded and the first rub-down and scrape out....

post-13778-0-22690800-1501772805_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-49152400-1501772848_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-86419300-1501772900_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-22957400-1501772957_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-76968900-1501773017_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-26115000-1501773081_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

I'll look forward to that Jeff.

Not had much time for modelling recently, but the family are away Camping for a few days, so I took the opportunity to go into the garage last night and have another look at the layout. 

I managed to get some battens screwed to the wall and extend the layout by another 9 inches (the board was free-standing, due to garage clutter that I was too idle to move out of the way - now it's gone I can go wall to wall) As a result, I will now be pulling up one of the lines and stretching out the curve into the station...

Only another 5 years and trains will be running...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here are 3 pics giving a wider overview of the "stonework" to date. This is taking a while to do, but considerably less than the DAS method.

And it's still good fun - even my dad keeps popping up to look at progress!

post-13778-0-21273500-1501773297_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-92395600-1501773355_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-13539000-1501773418_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I'll look forward to that Jeff.

Not had much time for modelling recently, but the family are away Camping for a few days, so I took the opportunity to go into the garage last night and have another look at the layout. 

I managed to get some battens screwed to the wall and extend the layout by another 9 inches (the board was free-standing, due to garage clutter that I was too idle to move out of the way - now it's gone I can go wall to wall) As a result, I will now be pulling up one of the lines and stretching out the curve into the station...

Only another 5 years and trains will be running...

That's MY kind of timescale!

As long as you enjoy what you're doing, what's the rush to get some pesky trains running?! :no:  :no:

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Your making a fine piece of modeling there Jeff. Those sheets take a lot of hard work to cut. The patience pays off though.

Can't beat a nice goods shed model! :sungum:  :sungum: :sungum:  

• Like 1

Here are 3 pics giving a wider overview of the "stonework" to date. This is taking a while to do, but considerably less than the DAS method.

And it's still good fun - even my dad keeps popping up to look at progress!

attachicon.gifIMG_5814.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5822.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5823.JPG

Jeff

Now having never built a Goods Shed, other than a Kit, I have to say  this is a stunning piece of work Jeff. Having seen the DAS one at close quarters, I really didn't think it could be improved upon, but you have, and by a considerable margin.

Well done, well worth the time and effort you've put into both now.

Thanks for your favourable comments in the PM for my Backscene Painting Video in Kings Moreton, your comments, as an Ex Teacher were nice to read, Cheers.

Now it has been suggest, (and I'm not saying who by, but on his Avatar, he's playing a Guitar, hahha), :O  that I could compete with your Stone by Stone Wall Building, by doing my Fields, Turf by Turf, it could take a while to complete, but would be fun, :O NOT. :no:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:

All the best mate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's sometimes been suggested that I show things that didn't go to plan. So here's a situation where a lack of foresight - using my head - has made things a bit more difficult than they should have been.

The 3 doors on the unloading side have quoins. I know they do - I put them onto the DAS model without a thought. But I forgot in this case. Cutting Wills sheets is a bit awkward, especially when they are already glued onto the ply shell. But trimming round the doorways and some "crenellations" have had to be carved in. Took 30 minutes, so not too bad.

I've also started adding in the lintel detail above the windows.

post-13778-0-36735200-1501845847_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-84926500-1501845911_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-84103800-1501845965_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

It's sometimes been suggested that I show things that didn't go to plan. So here's a situation where a lack of foresight - using my head - has made things a bit more difficult than they should have been.

The 3 doors on the unloading side have quoins. I know they do - I put them onto the DAS model without a thought. But I forgot in this case. Cutting Wills sheets is a bit awkward, especially when they are already glued onto the ply shell. But trimming round the doorways and some "crenellations" have had to be carved in. Took 30 minutes, so not too bad.

I've also started adding in the lintel detail above the windows.

attachicon.gifIMG_5824.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5825.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5828.JPG

Jeff

That's good Jeff, just a silly question if I may. Could you not have Fret Sawed through the Will and Ply backing and then added a thin slither of Card at the back?

• RMweb Premium

That's good Jeff, just a silly question if I may. Could you not have Fret Sawed through the Will and Ply backing and then added a thin slither of Card at the back?

That's a viable suggestion Andy. Only problem is, I don't have a fret saw.

Of course, if I thought things through properly then I'd not have the problem in the first place!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

That looks very good, Jeff. You cannot see the join as Eric would have said. Nice taste in pottery too, Denby was my late wife's favourite.

Still at dad's, so the Denby is his. However, you'll be pleased to hear that brother and myself have 3 different sets of Denby at home. I've always liked the stuff and nice colours, too.

As for the stone, I'm pleased with the way it's working out. Much quicker than DAS for most of the job, but all the stones in the lintels and quoins are individually fitted. Takes time, but seems a small job compared to all those pesky stone walls!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just a couple more pics, showing arch-lintels fitted on the other side of the shed.

I've now run out of superglue - "Roket Hot" has proved an excellent product - very useful for fitting the individual stones. So one or two jobs tomorrow, but no quoins or arches!

post-13778-0-61698800-1501956646_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-61013800-1501956710_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Thats looking really good - to be brutally honest, I'm not sure which I prefer now!!!  Once its painted and weathered it will certainly fit the scene well - excellent modelling.

Apologies if this has been discussed already and I've missed it, but I recall South Eastern Finecast do larger sheets than Wills ... about 14" x 9" I think, although I don't know if they do the same kind of stone work, but that may help you on the larger buildings if you decide to stick with this method of working?

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Thats looking really good - to be brutally honest, I'm not sure which I prefer now!!!  Once its painted and weathered it will certainly fit the scene well - excellent modelling.

Apologies if this has been discussed already and I've missed it, but I recall South Eastern Finecast do larger sheets than Wills ... about 14" x 9" I think, although I don't know if they do the same kind of stone work, but that may help you on the larger buildings if you decide to stick with this method of working?

Rich

Thanks for the info. It was briefly discussed in posts #4487 and 4488.

All the window arches have been completed and filler applied and rubbed down. Nothing worth showing compared to the last pics. May be back home on Tuesday, so I can make further progress.

I wasn't convinced the plastikard shed could compete with the DAS creation, but as I've spent more time on it my opinion has been changing. We'll just have to see!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info. It was briefly discussed in posts #4487 and 4488.

All the window arches have been completed and filler applied and rubbed down. Nothing worth showing compared to the last pics. May be back home on Tuesday, so I can make further progress.

I wasn't convinced the plastikard shed could compete with the DAS creation, but as I've spent more time on it my opinion has been changing. We'll just have to see!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Sorry about that - missed those two posts when I was catching up.  Looking forward to seeing the two side-by-side.  Still think that DAS version will take some beating, but its all about getting that level between what is the best and what is the best use of time / enjoyability (if there is such a word!)

Hope all is ok with your Dad.

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Rich.

The comparison will be interesting and there's still a few jobs left to do on the DAS model: chimney, doors, steps.

I'll move on to the station building after the Goods sheds. I think I'm becoming addicted!

Jeff

• Like 2