Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

It looks like you're using brass for the runs under the tracks, no concerns about accidentally shorting them out?

Fair point, Simon. If you look at the diagram below you'll see what I did to prevent shorting.

post-13778-0-43774100-1505753603_thumb.jpg

The rodding is nickel silver and I used short sections of plastic sleeper, superglued to the underside of the rail. You'll notice that the link between all the point blade cranks and the blades themselves are plastic rodding: 0.5mm Slaters.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Here's a few pics showing the ballasting through the station area. The weathering still needs refining in places, but at least progress is being made.

The third pic is to be compared to the second pic - the lie-by needs to be a bit grottier than the main, once "ballasted". Even in the 1960s it was hardly worthy of high-grade limestone infill. 

post-13778-0-92878200-1505835618_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-26693400-1505835684_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-68270500-1505835689_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-79145700-1505835745_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, do I see some converted wagons in the distance?

Trust you to notice those!

They are just Jason's dozen (or so) hoppers, which I've borrowed off him.

I've re-gauged about 40 of my own wagons but while work is going on they are out of sight.

Jeff

• Like 4

Nice work on the rodding Jeff,

I spent some time working out the rodding runs on Llanbourne its worth while getting it to look right, having a plan drawn up would have be most helpful, the wonders of being on RMweb. 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Nice work on the rodding Jeff,

I spent some time working out the rodding runs on Llanbourne its worth while getting it to look right, having a plan drawn up would have be most helpful, the wonders of being on RMweb.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter.

I must admit that having a clearly drawn-out plan for the rodding has made things considerably easier than if I was making decisions "on the spot". John took my variation on Kirkby Stephen and worked clearly and logically, showing one possible, likely, route for the rodding path.

His scroll - it's about 10' x 2' - is a masterpiece - a work of art I wish I could frame and put on the wall. I may photograph some sections of the annotation and put them on here.

As for the " doing" bit, well, a bit fiddly but I broke the back of the task in 3 days after procrastinating (ooh err missus) for 6 months.

Good to hear from you. Llanbourne goes from strength to strength, so keep up the good work (though I do prefer green diesels to blue!!)

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

On the big railway, we use plastic insulators under the rail too, ours a orange and clip onto the bottom of the rail. Sadly no photos to show of them at the minute...

Looking very nice Jeff.

Andy G

post-13778-0-79145700-1505835745_thumb.jJ

Jeff,

Super point rodding, but I didn't think MR signalboxes were tall, white and cylindrical..........

Regards,

P

That's North Korea's top secret missile base on the S & C ( don't tell Donald.....).

Seriously, it's amazing what a difference the EM track makes, and the rodding sets it off superbly

• RMweb Premium

I was wondering when I'd get a different take on things...

Reminds me that at some stage I'm going to have to scratch build a Midland signal box. It's obvious that my current attempt, in the shape of a PVA bottle, doesn't pass muster. Disappointing - I'm sure it was OK on the old Blue Peter layouts of the 1970s (but that was before Peter was born.....)

Some long rodding runs still to fit once a bit more ballasting is done. More track pics, hopefully, tomorrow.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering when I'd get a different take on things...

Reminds me that at some stage I'm going to have to scratch build a Midland signal box. It's obvious that my current attempt, in the shape of a PVA bottle, doesn't pass muster. Disappointing - I'm sure it was OK on the old Blue Peter layouts of the 1970s (but that before Peter was born.....)

Some long rodding runs still to fit once a bit more ballasting is done. More track pics, hopefully, tomorrow.

Jeff

No need to scratch-build Jeff, plenty of kits to adapt.

• RMweb Premium

No need to scratch-build Jeff, plenty of kits to adapt.

That's good to know. As with many aspects of modelling, I haven't ever built a signal box before. So even if I end up with a "kit-scratch" hybrid, having something to base the model on will be useful.

Of course, there's the goods shedS and station buildings to deal with first!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Looking Superb Jeff. I am sure your skills have progressed to the stage where you needn't be put off scratch building although adapting a kit might save time.

Don

edit to remove surplus e from needen't

Edited by Donw

Hi Peter.

I must admit that having a clearly drawn-out plan for the rodding has made things considerably easier than if I was making decisions "on the spot". John took my variation on Kirkby Stephen and worked clearly and logically, showing one possible, likely, route for the rodding path.

His scroll - it's about 10' x 2' - is a masterpiece - a work of art I wish I could frame and put on the wall. I may photograph some sections of the annotation and put them on here.

As for the " doing" bit, well, a bit fiddly but I broke the back of the task in 3 days after procrastinating (ooh err missus) for 6 months.

Good to hear from you. Llanbourne goes from strength to strength, so keep up the good work (though I do prefer green diesels to blue!!)

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I drew my rodding out on paper a section at a time I followed as close as possible how the prototype looks and worked. It took me a while to do mine I did in two sections at a time I still have a bit more to do but was well and truly over it after the last lot.

I guess more ballasting for you then signals?

Cheers Peter. 

• RMweb Premium

Peter - more ballasting, definitely. The point rodding has held things up for a while, so as that gets done (and the complicated bit has now been done) then the track can be coated.

Once rodding and ballasting has been done there are plenty of options. I don't need many signals, and I'll buy some MSE kits for those. There's buildings to do and plenty of walling/vegetation to get on with.

In other words, at least a year to go before the layout is even REMOTELY approaching the "end". Great fun, eh?

I'm waiting for some ballast to dry, then it's time for more weathering. In the meantime, here's 3 pics showing the grottified headshunt at the end of the lie-by. The end is clean as I need to cut the end part of the track off when I fit a Lanarkshire Models buffer.

post-13778-0-92152100-1506006125_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-10195700-1506006188_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-67990300-1506006254_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 11

I'm waiting for some ballast to dry, then it's time for more weathering. In the meantime, here's 3 pics showing the grottified headshunt at the end of the lie-by. The end is clean as I need to cut the end part of the track off when I fit a Lanarkshire Models buffer.

Jeff

And I'm waiting on the same bufferstop for the headshunt on Wharfeside Jeff.

post-10324-0-93832400-1506006816.jpg

Might be done in a few weeks.

Dave Franks.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I was hoping you might look in, Dave.

I've still got a spare BS01 for the other end of the lie-by, and a BS02 to use at the end of the cattle dock spur.

But I'll be needing your "heavy" stop - when available - for the two headshunts.

Nice work on your (instantly recognisable S&C) layout, btw.....

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks for that Jeff, I'm hoping to get the MR 'heavy' stops done soon so I can get that bit of ash ballasting finished as Fiona is wanting to start the 'grassing', teddybear fur is the way it's going it seems.

Although the railway is Midland the location is in Wharfedale just North West of Leeds so it does get the diverted S&C trains plus some NE region locos too as far as Skipton. The trackplan is Midland with a NER coal drop siding as per a few of the stations on the Wharfedale lines. Unfortunately apart from the etched brass MR signal box the buildings are unique to the line so have to be scratchbuilt, something I'm still learning.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ooh, the heavy stop is coming soon? Been looking forward to that!

I'll need to rummage back through some books to be certain but I think the far end (up side) headshunt buffer stop wasn't a heavy type. That might've been a replacement at some point of course. And anyway Kirkby Luneside isn't Kirkby Stephen.

Come to think of it is there anything there now, since there's still one siding that side, or was it removed at the same time as the one near the platforms was when it was replaced with a trap?

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Premium

Simon, I thought you'd be pleased with the buffer news, especially as you've been pushing for one for a lot longer than me.

Not sure about the siding situation. I need to pop in and have a look!

And you raise a good point about KL2 not being KS - hence giving me a bit more freedom regarding buffer etc. details. It's nice to base a layout around a real location but not slavishly, so "rule one" can be invoked when convenient!!

Dave - thanks for the buffer update.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Well work and family life is keeping me away at the moment, but great to see you back in the bunker and enjoying yourself.  The work on KL2 is fantastic and I hope your happy with the first phase of your point rodding, it looks great - will be even better once ballasting and weathering is finished.  I've said it before about KL2 its inspirational - glad to see your back, hope all is well with your Dad.

Rich