Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

Great to see the start Jeff, I've already logged on as a follower - perhaps a link on old KL and the lounge would make it easier for followers to switch?

Reckon you need a team of navvies for that clearance job! I'll check in daily until it all starts to roll,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4

Andy, in that you are correct and I've written the wrong number in....

I used 12mm last time, and at around £30 a board (8' x 4') it was expensive. I think Steve had already suggested I thin it down a bit - as it doesn't really matter given what's behind - and he's not even paying!

Jeff

WOT? HE'S NOT PAYING, what sort of Brother is that then, hahhahhah

• RMweb Premium

WOT? HE'S NOT PAYING, what sort of Brother is that then, hahhahhah

We allocated areas/projects and who'd spend what. The garage is entirely my "baby". The good thing is that I know I can do the conversion for about 70% of the cost in 2011 - due to experience with materials etc.

If you wish to make a contribution, I'll send the begging bowl down!!

Jeff

• Like 1

We allocated areas/projects and who'd spend what. The garage is entirely my "baby". The good thing is that I know I can do the conversion for about 70% of the cost in 2011 - due to experience with materials etc.

If you wish to make a contribution, I'll send the begging bowl down!!

Jeff

Didn't you get the one I sent to you for the Potting Shed? hahhahha

Didn't you get the one I sent to you for the Potting Shed? hahhahha

He used it for the brick and cement fund Andy :jester:

Hello Jeff, if its any thing like me you will be shuffling stuff around in the garage instead of re-homing it :senile:

Is it to be named the Bunker or do you have another name for the garage :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Evening Jeff. Late to the party as usual.

What a start to 2015. KL2 thread started, locos running on Bitton and it's still only the 1st.

As far as getting rid of things, why not sell for the best price possible and split the money between you. I am assuming that Steve has his own hobby.

Looking forward to the conversion, over engineered timber work and the track mock-ups.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

He used it for the brick and cement fund Andy :jester:

Hello Jeff, if its any thing like me you will be shuffling stuff around in the garage instead of re-homing it :senile:

Is it to be named the Bunker or do you have another name for the garage :scratchhead:

Mick, the home of KL was nicknamed the bunker after a couple of my neighbours, having seen the interior construction work during the conversion (over-engineered, as is my trademark), referred to it as the Nuclear Fallout Shelter or Bunker.

I think the same will apply here, and it's a simple one-word name.

So KL2 lives in the Bunker, as for KL!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestions, Duncan.

I think we'll dispose of items such as fridges and I'm more than happy if the one charity I support is interested in making a little bit of money from the pine table, TV stand or radiator covers.

In the end, provided I can clear some space, I'm happy!

Jeff

• Like 2

Jeff,

Curved turnouts on the RHS of the fiddle yard ? 

(& yes, I know, this is a draft version of the track plan)

With regards to cassette's, one gentleman over here uses metal wall studs (nominally 2x4", U channel) to make his cassettes, as they work well and don't bend.  I know Mike puts out a lot of info on his layout, but it is typically by email rather than by a web page. 

(a much more serious post than the one for 'chard)

James

Hi Jeff,

At long last KL2 is 'officially' announced......YIPPEE!!!!!!

Seriously, I am delighted to see the project begin and wish you all the best for the forthcoming build including the garage conversion. If you need any advice on the joinery aspects just ask, I promise I'll save you money and time! If you look back my 'Dent' build there are no legs suspending either the fiddleyard or the layout and its been up for almost 2 years. I am not saying to do KL2 this way just that you should think about alternatives in the planning.

As for the garage ceiling try 'INTERNATIONAL DECORATIVE SURFACES' find your nearest stockist on the web, the provide panelled sheets at 2800 x 2200 which you can cut down to handle easier but the coverage costs less than the 8' x 4' ply equivalents.

Looking forward to the journey! 

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Curved turnouts on the RHS of the fiddle yard ? 

(& yes, I know, this is a draft version of the track plan)

With regards to cassette's, one gentleman over here uses metal wall studs (nominally 2x4", U channel) to make his cassettes, as they work well and don't bend.  I know Mike puts out a lot of info on his layout, but it is typically by email rather than by a web page. 

(a much more serious post than the one for 'chard)

James

Morning James.

I'll try and fit some curved turnouts on the right-hand side. The diagram is very much based on what I did last time and is open to change. However, space is tighter on the RHS because of the position of the bridge. But, hey, we haven't cut a single piece of timber yet (I haven't got a piece of timber yet!!), so nothing has yet been decided.

I've seen the cassettes that Jason uses and Gilbert's on Peterborough North. Again, I'll take advice when the time comes. But cassette input roads are definitely a good idea.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

At long last KL2 is 'officially' announced......YIPPEE!!!!!!

Seriously, I am delighted to see the project begin and wish you all the best for the forthcoming build including the garage conversion. If you need any advice on the joinery aspects just ask, I promise I'll save you money and time! If you look back my 'Dent' build there are no legs suspending either the fiddleyard or the layout and its been up for almost 2 years. I am not saying to do KL2 this way just that you should think about alternatives in the planning.

As for the garage ceiling try 'INTERNATIONAL DECORATIVE SURFACES' find your nearest stockist on the web, the provide panelled sheets at 2800 x 2200 which you can cut down to handle easier but the coverage costs less than the 8' x 4' ply equivalents.

Looking forward to the journey! 

Cheers Mike.

I'm glad the thread has started, but I think people will be a bit disappointed initially. Nothing much is going to happen fast - for a while - then (in my usual manner) I'll go ballistic!

Keep up with the suggestions. I DO read them and listen to what you say. As long as you don't get upset when I "do my own (usually OTT) thing"!

Jeff

Cheers Mike.

I'm glad the thread has started, but I think people will be a bit disappointed initially. Nothing much is going to happen fast - for a while - then (in my usual manner) I'll go ballistic!

Keep up with the suggestions. I DO read them and listen to what you say. As long as you don't get upset when I "do my own (usually OTT) thing"!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Get upset!..... I get upset when I get a parking ticket, I get upset when train fares go up, I get upset when I have to do the dishes. However I get really really mad if a certain person buys 6x4 timber and does not convert it to four infinately more usable 3x2's..................... sorry can't go on, I'm getting upset :jester:  :jester:

Seriously, I don't expect any magician like turnaround with KL2 giving the other things in your calendar and at the end of the day Jeff its your project but I'm here if want to ask me anything. All the best with the build mate.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Get upset!..... I get upset when I get a parking ticket, I get upset when train fares go up, I get upset when I have to do the dishes. However I get really really mad if a certain person buys 6x4 timber and does not convert it to four infinately more usable 3x2's..................... sorry can't go on, I'm getting upset :jester:  :jester:

Seriously, I don't expect any magician like turnaround with KL2 giving the other things in your calendar and at the end of the day Jeff its your project but I'm here if want to ask me anything. All the best with the build mate.

So you'll be ok when I build my L-girders from 4 x 2 and 3 x 1 to make 5 x 3's?

Just a bit of advanced warning....  :O  :O

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Looking at those plans, it seems to me that you have the possibility of a continuing curve through the station (Bitton-style) which will look so much better.

All possibilities are open at this time. Because I'm not trying to rigidly scale down any particular place there's a great deal of flexibility. As long as the main features fit into a coherent whole I'll be happy!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

It is good to see that you have started.  Enjoy the ride and whatever advice anyone gives, remember in the end it is your layout and it is up to you what you do and how you build it.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you have started the thread Jeff. If you have all the furniture and effects you need in the house what are the ones in the garage four haha. I we admit we still have too much 'might be useful' stuff.

12mm is a bit thick for the ceiling quite heavy you might as well use plasterboard at that thickness if you do want a heavy board look at the platforms they have for plasterers now board goes onto the platform which is then jacked up to hold it to the joists and then just fix. Or just go for thinner ply.

Seeing as it is not going to be portable you can go for the thick timbers if it keeps you happy. If it was in a loft I would suggest otherwise.

There is another choice. Use multilayered foil insulation stapled to the underside of the rafters. Lay boarding on the joists. Leaving an access gap then put the junk you really cant bear to throw up there. Put some ply underneath the joist to give a nice finish Job done.

Don

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Good to see you have started the thread Jeff. If you have all the furniture and effects you need in the house what are the ones in the garage four haha. I we admit we still have too much 'might be useful' stuff.

12mm is a bit thick for the ceiling quite heavy you might as well use plasterboard at that thickness if you do want a heavy board look at the platforms they have for plasterers now board goes onto the platform which is then jacked up to hold it to the joists and then just fix. Or just go for thinner ply.

Seeing as it is not going to be portable you can go for the thick timbers if it keeps you happy. If it was in a loft I would suggest otherwise.

There is another choice. Use multilayered foil insulation stapled to the underside of the rafters. Lay boarding on the joists. Leaving an access gap then put the junk you really cant bear to throw up there. Put some ply underneath the joist to give a nice finish Job done.

Don

Yes, you are quite right, Don. It was a hell of an effort to lift and fix the 8' x 4' plasterboard sheets onto the ceiling of the last garage and I vowed I'd never use plasterboard again. So ply was the choice and even 6mm should be adequate, bearing in mind that it's hardly going to be load bearing.

Doing the conversion for KL has helped me enormously by highlighting some of the "errors" I made. Experience always suggests potential improvements!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This was how I did it last time. Ply will be used instead of plasterboard. Whether or not I fit insulation board again, well, we'll see. Last time I had a large surplus from doing the walls, but it's very costly so - maybe!

post-13778-0-30315800-1420222452_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-20896300-1420222461_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

It is good to see that you have started.  Enjoy the ride and whatever advice anyone gives, remember in the end it is your layout and it is up to you what you do and how you build it.

Cheers Chris.

I learned that lesson well from KL. Sometimes my stubborn approach led me to ignore good advice, but I have my ideas and I'll stick to a lot of them.

Until you, Andy, Jason..... get working on me!  :O  :O

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, taken a minute or two out of (engine) shed building to see what you're up to with the new thread. Having space is great but as always you'll still wish you had more! Early days I know, but are you going to have a go at building your own turnouts this time round? Andy has the black art bug and there seems to be no stopping him now.