Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

I'm guessing this is from the Japanese meaning "true"?

I think KL will do :-)

I wouldn't want people to think it was a medical thread they were looking at!

Jeff

"New", as in Shin-Osaka, or Shin-Hakodate the Shinkansen stations, quite some distance from the respective city centres.

Shinkansen itself refers to "new trunk line" (I'm assured by Prof Wikipedia) rather than "Bullet train" which it has come to mean in English. So Shin is perfectly appropriate as I suggested but KL is fine  :sungum:

PS as a diversion from wall and station building you could have a look at this via internet (in 1day 4hrs 57 min from when I collected the link)

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the Japanese "enlightenment".

I think Kirkby Luneside will suffice, in keeping with its "brother" at KS.

No modelling today. I might rouse myself over the next few days.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've spent a couple of hours doing (yet more) rubbing down and filling on the station.

More significantly, I've planned my approach to building the area around the main station doors and this task will begin tomorrow. I'm saying no more on this at the moment - I'll post picture updates of any work that's been done.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A couple of pics to show the 2mm ply base that will hold the detail around the main doors.

post-13778-0-50951000-1524411441_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-74394300-1524411499_thumb.jpg

An image of the Kirkby Stephen building is attached for reference.

post-13778-0-23118300-1524411502.jpg

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I had to scroll up to see your latest post and saw the KS photo first and thought blooming heck, what a magnificent model!! until reality kicked in as I saw the next two photos. Still, first class modelling though.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the positive comments, lads.

Simon, I have given consideration to your naming suggestion. It does sound quite nice, but at the moment I'll stick with plain KL.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Another 90 minutes of plastikard play today.

Here's a pic of the result, along with a KS photo taken in 2001. Some details will be altered from this photo (to mimic an earlier time), but the circular iron pipework remains.

post-13778-0-60417900-1524497366_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-02469500-1524497369.jpg

Jeff

• Like 8

A couple of pics to show the 2mm ply base that will hold the detail around the main doors.

attachicon.gifIMG_7000.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_7002.JPG

An image of the Kirkby Stephen building is attached for reference.

attachicon.gifkirkby-stephen-station-d2-0169.jpg

Jeff

Jeff,

I don't like the PECO concrete-sleepered track in the lower picture. Not quite correct for your period.

You could've tidied all those pipes / cables along the platform edge too.....

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

• RMweb Premium

It's interesting that the former wooden panelling under to screen windows has been replaced with stone blockwork.

I'd never noticed that. Could be something to do with when the platform was raised? Funnily enough there's no obvious sign at Kirkby Stephen of the raising (other than it being newer tarmac and the top layers of platform facing not being quite so weathered), unlike some of the other stations such as Langwathby, where's there's a drop down to the door floor level.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I don't like the PECO concrete-sleepered track in the lower picture. Not quite correct for your period.

You could've tidied all those pipes / cables along the platform edge too.....

Yes Peter, poor show that the Midland used code 100 on the S&C!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jonathan, Simon, I only noticed the change when I looked at the brickwork on that photo - and then looked up David Jenkinson's station drawings as a comparison.

HOWEVER, if you look at the photo in yesterday's post -taken much more recently as you can see the accommodation use for the building - the wooden panelling has been restored. It's this that I'll be modelling. That brick doesn't look "right" to me.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's got me rummaging through some books. It's brick or stone in the earliest picture I can find which shows it (which is still from the 1970s, so not that old). Interesting indeed. SO now I'm guessing that it went back to panelling when the platform was raised, not the other way around. The picture you posted is by far the clearest I've seen without panelling. From at least 1965 there was also a rather ugly extension tacked on to the left of the door. Without knowing exactly when that was built (and it's long gone now) I'm tempted to ignore it. The advantage with Kirkby Luneside of course is that you can pick and choose what bits you like since it only has to be Kirkby Stephen when you choose.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Slowly getting bit of time to get back on rmWeb after a bit of an absence.  The station buildings are looking great - really capture the feeling of buildings on the line, but then we wouldn't expect any less!

Hope your still enjoying the modelling.

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Slowly getting bit of time to get back on rmWeb after a bit of an absence.  The station buildings are looking great - really capture the feeling of buildings on the line, but then we wouldn't expect any less!

Hope your still enjoying the modelling.

Rich

Hi Rich. Yes, your absence has been noted. But then again, my appearances on here have almost ground to a halt. I love what I'm doing, but enthusiasm can sometimes be elusive and I've almost ground to a halt.

I'm currently spending most of my time processing moon images I've taken over the last week. Yes, the clouds did clear for a while up here. We occasionally see a blue sky, here in the far northern wastelands!

I'll hopefully manage an hour or two on the station building in the next few days. I hope all is well in Lincolnshire.

Jeff

I ran away for a weekend- https://www.facebook.com/BCNews/videos/10160435463400245/ (I'm in yellow...mucking around with changing trains...)

The tall condo building is mine- it doesn't feature in many at home shots, as I have no-where here to put it together.  It's too tall to sit assembled in the basement.

(& fine work on the station building, Jeff)

James

• Like 2

I ran away for a weekend- https://www.facebook.com/BCNews/videos/10160435463400245/ (I'm in yellow...mucking around with changing trains...)

The tall condo building is mine- it doesn't feature in many at home shots, as I have no-where here to put it together.  It's too tall to sit assembled in the basement.

(& fine work on the station building, Jeff)

James

Hi James, very impressive show mate, well done. :sungum: 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich. Yes, your absence has been noted. But then again, my appearances on here have almost ground to a halt. I love what I'm doing, but enthusiasm can sometimes be elusive and I've almost ground to a halt.

I'm currently spending most of my time processing moon images I've taken over the last week. Yes, the clouds did clear for a while up here. We occasionally see a blue sky, here in the far northern wastelands!

I'll hopefully manage an hour or two on the station building in the next few days. I hope all is well in Lincolnshire.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Well now I feel honoured, that I was missed and that it had been noted!!  Sounds like your star gazing activities have been productive over recent nights!  All is well here thanks, just hectic!  But im hoping that I may finally start to get back to some modelling after a long absence.  I may end up seeing if I can borrow your stone walling principals to adapt them to O gauge!  In the short term, I need some S&C activity to boost my interest level :)

Rich

• Like 3

Hi Jeff 

Well as usual your modelling skills cease to amaze me and a 'like or Craftsmanship / cleaver' is not enough to show my admiration for you work on the Station building EXCELLENT !!!!!!! not an easy subject to model in my humble opinion  :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all the "gang" for your continued input.

It helps to generate interest when the last thing you want to do is cut another piece of plastic! I shall endeavour to do SOMETHING over the weekend, however small. It may serve to inspire Rich to get started....

Martin - really appreciate the very positive comments.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all the "gang" for your continued input.

It helps to generate interest when the last thing you want to do is cut another piece of plastic! I shall endeavour to do SOMETHING over the weekend, however small. It may serve to inspire Rich to get started....

Martin - really appreciate the very positive comments.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

All inspiration is welcome :) I've got some thoughts on where the modelling is going, and will reveal all shortly - what do you mean what a horrid thought?!  :onthequiet:

I shall be off air for a few days, but can watch from my phone, even though I cant post, just keep the inspiration coming Jeff.

Oh dear, is this a secret fact-finding mission to S&C land - let me guess your selling Pen-y-Bont, replacing King's Moreton and creating Blea Moor in 7mm :). Enjoy the 'off air' time, no loop the loops Andy!

Rich