Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Well done, Steve.

The thing about something like walls - and scratchbuilding in general (which I just didn't understand until I started the viaduct on the original KL) - is that the more you do it, the more skilled you get and the more you WANT to do it.

That still doesn't explain the 60,000+ stones I made for KL2. That is down to total insanity!

We will NO doubt share plenty of ideas when I get started. Have you still got that "sample" wall I sent you 3 years ago?

J.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Hi Jeff, Good to hear, I must admit, I was a little concerned about you all as I know CV has been a bit rampant in your parts.

Great to hear you have things planned, and I'm looking forward to seeing some pics soon.

We did move in May, and we have the decorators in at the moment doing the Lounge.

Yesterday whilst painting the ceiling there was a soft bit, on further inspection it appears that there has been at some time a Wasp or Bees nest in the loft. The little blighters have eaten the Plasterboard, and so it was just the skim of aertex that was showing.

There due any minute, here now to cut it out and insert a new piece of plasterboard having managed to peel off the aertex with the pattern for sticking back over later. Well that's their plan anyway.

The Man Cave / Pit of Doom / POD has been done by my boy and I.

I had to shorten Seven Mills by almost 2ft, 10.5 inches off the scenic section removing the old Level Crossing that was beyond the Station and a ft off the original Fiddle Yard.

I've now added a second Fiddle Yard at 45 degrees for through running so really pleased.

IMG_1653.JPG.5ffc1563e1964eb5c1637d251697d8f3.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG.6078138a69d910c5e8787991cd71ab52.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG.2f8167a0bcaf418d97177719e2082e63.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG.d4b3ecb57970ee81bf0755cad85ec1d4.JPG

626789530_SEVENMILLSSIDINGS2020MiltonRoadPlan1.png.d865f1afc78f1dc4ac8e1c76d4a485da.png

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I felt a disturbance in the Force, as if a million voices cried out...

YES! Jeff's posted on Looney Kirbside!

Whilst you've been otherwise engaged, I've taken up the mantle of crazy wall-builder:

ladmanlow1150.jpg.78c90ef6550b34dfc9b0eea0dfce8a02.jpg

ladmanlow1158.jpg.5c89f62979569cca69612723bb6de620.jpg

These are built from individually cut pieces of styrene...

ladmanlow1148.jpg.cbd988db3edf705ca8a0727cc740f1b5.jpg

ladmanlow1163.jpg.57a4087931543088cce0e4deafc98a57.jpg

Nice to hear from you Jeff, great news about the build.

Al.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear from you, near-ish neighbour. I got most of those wagons and vans built/repaired, finished the 3P and now retired and moved into retirement bungalow (with 2 floors!) I've been building a station.

DSCF7491.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
typos
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Wow!

I haven't spent much time on here in the last year, so I'm amazed at the prompt response from you all.

AND you've obviously been very busy on your projects. Very inspirational as far as getting my motivation up for when I can start.

Al, very sorry you've caught the wall-building bug. It is addictive, with no vaccine!

Andy - great to see you are settled in. Not making a waspish comment, but given your recent problems, the layout room is the bees knees! Good luck with the Band (remember, you are like babies, agewise, compared to Jagger and co.!)

I will try to look in more often now.

Very best to you all.

Jeff.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter.

Nice to hear from you.

I will have to motivate you to get back to layout building, as you used to do!

As for the escape door......use it as soon as you see it!

Looking forward to plenty of your unique humour once my new thread gets underway.

Jeff 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Don and Rich.

Don, good to hear you've been keeping busy with the house. If you have some time next year, and are still interested, maybe we can proceed with "our project"? I may have some track down by then!

Rich, as is my norm, it's a full-scale garage conversion before any railway stuff can start. I enjoy this kind of thing, so - if materials are available - a 2-3 week job. Details on a new thread once things are underway.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Rich, as is my norm, it's a full-scale garage conversion before any railway stuff can start. I enjoy this kind of thing, so - if materials are available - a 2-3 week job. Details on a new thread once things are underway.

Jeff

Look forward to reading more in the fullness of time!  I have a similar task next year. Ours has deteriorated over the past winter, and needs pulling down and a new one ... so I am finally going to gain a proper railway room!! Hurray! :)  Now ... clearing out the current one to allow it to be demolished ... well that could take decades!

Good luck with things ... you'll soon be under starters orders to ... (Drum roll) "Let the walling commence!" :P

Rich

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Great to see you back Jeff.  This end main layout - nothing touched for ages although a few small layouts for Granddaughter and a friend but some time before lockdown Andy P started Cadley Hill ... and stopped so it passed onto me as a bare board with n hinge extension to fit in the back of his car - the same model as mine - and some track Lockdown came (now nearly 23 weeks since last entering shop) but thought I'd make Cadley Hill work ... and then modified some track and then decided to make some scenery, changed it, ballasted, grassed, decided to make it 'better' but, in hindsight wished that I had put in point motors.  Inwil put some more photographs on the blog soon as it has changed again from the lat set.  I had tried thmany 'firsts' including some scratch and found it very enjoyable.  Stone walls ... some way off I think.

Best wishes and look forward to your forthcoming layout.

Peter

• Like 2

I too have been building walls: 

49974759488_eefa3b4867_c.jpg

49986480677_5cd3ca8d8f_c.jpg

49986227966_811bcaa796_c.jpgThe new wall by Peach James, on Flickr

They use a different material than styrene or DAS, in the form of about 20 bags of cement & 2 yds (m^3) or so of navvy jack.
Long Marton has trains on it, but I haven't run much in a while.    

James

Edited by peach james
link on text when it wasn't supposed to...
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

In the 2 years since the demise of KL(2) I've had plenty of time to think about a new layout.

I'll have a LOT more to say about Gill Head when I start the new thread in late September. However, just to "stir the pot", I've uploaded a few (not very good pics) sketches, showing some of the planning for the viaduct and one end of the layout. Not sure if you can make out the red contours on that one!

This is more to show that I'm serious about getting started - everything is planned in detail!

I'm NOT going to start discussing Gill Head until the new thread opens. But there'll be NO fell, an 8 arch viaduct, MORE walling than KL2, 2 overbridges, and TONS OF FUN.....

Jeff

20200815_162838.jpg.8c9a4a754e875874c25e24d2b55fd039.jpg20200815_162920.jpg.f4d5ca7bdb874d7e9fbcace12d5d29e7.jpg20200815_162954.jpg.2e36bddbeabf9e192eb15fc2e4f4cc96.jpg20200815_163026.jpg.4f63c91a9b9420f52af348b6d8c4faa9.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, teaky said:

How much time have you estimated to build the viaduct using individually crafted stones?

Oh bu99er!

I hadn't thought of building it THAT way, unlike the goods shed.

Rob, do you know how MUCH soul-searching this is going to cause me now?.....

:-) :-) :-) :-)

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Physicsman said:

I'm NOT going to start discussing Gill Head until the new thread opens. But there'll be NO fell, an 8 arch viaduct, MORE walling than KL2, 2 overbridges, and TONS OF FUN.....

No fell :o

Adrian

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, figworthy said:

No fell :o

Adrian

I know Adrian, it's a total tragedy....

Ideally I'd have liked a massive Fell (almost my calling card) and the large viaduct, but space won't allow.

Now when I win the lottery I'll clean out all the local builder's yards with my demands for plaster for the monstrosity I want to build!

Jeff

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1