Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

I guess I've been lucky in choosing Bitton, as 90% is in a cutting, including all the Goods Yard, the only bit I needed to cut away was for the A431 Road under Bridge and its Embankment heading for Bath.

• RMweb Premium

I guess I've been lucky in choosing Bitton, as 90% is in a cutting, including all the Goods Yard, the only bit I needed to cut away was for the A431 Road under Bridge and its Embankment heading for Bath.

Morning Andy.

I wouldn't call it luck. You've chosen a very good prototype to model and it may happen to need little in the way of cutting (no pun intended!)

Inevitably, I need viaducts and bridges - as well as the Fell - to represent the S&C flavour. It's also useful that Kirkby Stephen station, which forms the template for the KL/KL2 station area, is raised and has some interesting height variations and an adjacent underbridge for the road. It all goes to provide a range of scenic options which, if properly built, should look good.

Plenty of grassy areas too, to keep you happy!!

Jeff

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff 

Looking at your photos and those of Mr Bodgit Peters and others, I am thinking of asking Mr York to rename this forum to "Man Shed Insulating Web".  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

Hi Clive,

In the words of the Bachman Turner Overdrive song, "You ain't seen nothing yet"!!

I summarised the garage conversion on the KL thread into about 3 pages. I've been requested to show the KL2 conversion - and everything else that follows - in gratuitous, gory detail. So I guess that means 30 pages of "here's a photo of 100mm Kingspan viewed from the left", followed by "ooh look, the 100mm Kingspan viewed from the top"....

In other words, as you said, MSIweb!!

Still, both myself and Bodgit do enjoy ourselves in all of this. No sausage making facilities in the bunker or the Bitton shed, though!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

AGREED Jeff, defiantly NO Sausages now for either of us.

Re the insulation and framing, look at it this way, there are many people joining this fine Hobby all the time, some have Garages, some have Sheds, and they all seek advice on the best ways to do things, and ALSO the mistakes that can be made along the way. By showing every step, every idea, every process you can not only keep an interesting thread going but also go back to Teaching and that has to be good.

I was lucky this time as I had Lee, without him and in the condition I was in, there would be NO SHED, NO BITTON, and probably by now no interest in building any form of Layout as there is no room indoors.

Lee's skills, and techniques will no doubt have helped others already, and will again in the future I'm sure.

The same applies to the Electrics of course, its all a big learning curve for some people, and although it may seem boring to post bits about it on here, it will eventually help somebody somewhere.

• RMweb Premium

Agreed. I explained to a bloke at the club how to wire up an electrofrog point the other week (by drawing on the baseboards for Clayton :D) and afterwards, he understood it but before, he was utterly lost and considering using the massively shite Insulfrogs.

Actually, as he is a bit special, he probably still will :D

• RMweb Premium

Agreed. I explained to a bloke at the club how to wire up an electrofrog point the other week (by drawing on the baseboards for Clayton :D) and afterwards, he understood it but before, he was utterly lost and considering using the massively shite Insulfrogs.

Actually, as he is a bit special, he probably still will :D

Jason, if you'd been alive in the 16th century you'd have been one of Shakespeare's greatest rivals.

You have such a natural way with words that your plays and sonnets would have been filled with the most beautifully apt adjectives!!

Totally agree, though. Learning by practical example is the best way to do it. Hence the reason I'm looking forward to our kit-bashing next month!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Re the insulation and framing, look at it this way, there are many people joining this fine Hobby all the time, some have Garages, some have Sheds, and they all seek advice on the best ways to do things, and ALSO the mistakes that can be made along the way. By showing every step, every idea, every process you can not only keep an interesting thread going but also go back to Teaching and that has to be good.

I was lucky this time as I had Lee, without him and in the condition I was in, there would be NO SHED, NO BITTON, and probably by now no interest in building any form of Layout as there is no room indoors.

Lee's skills, and techniques will no doubt have helped others already, and will again in the future I'm sure.

The same applies to the Electrics of course, its all a big learning curve for some people, and although it may seem boring to post bits about it on here, it will eventually help somebody somewhere.

Good God Almighty ...... Andy has gone ALL SERIOUS :nono:  :senile: 

Jason, if you'd been alive in the 16th century you'd have been one of Shakespeare's greatest rivals.

You have such a natural way with words that your plays and sonnets would have been filled with the most beautifully apt adjectives!!

Totally agree, though. Learning by practical example is the best way to do it. Hence the reason I'm looking forward to our kit-bashing next month!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I was quite interested in your analogy until you stated 'most beautiful apt adjectives' I was hoping more for 'most beautiful women in the audience' So I'm afraid as as teacher you lost my attention there! :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I was quite interested in your analogy until you stated 'most beautiful apt adjectives' I was hoping more for 'most beautiful women in the audience' So I'm afraid as as teacher you lost my attention there! :jester:

Sorry Mike. It must be all the timber I've been dreaming of. It's gone to my head!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Good God Almighty ...... Andy has gone ALL SERIOUS :nono:  :senile: 

Well that is me (and Staff Sergeant Burns) not manning the BBQ on Bitton's grand opening.  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

All these threads are both informative and a good giggle at the same time, why because it is a hobby.  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, we need your help on Bitton in Post #3905 please. It will benefit you as well later on.

Andy, I've put some comments on Bitton. These are based on my experiences - following good advice from the likes of Nigel Burkin and Ian Morton (in their DCC publications).

All I can say is that, despite the large amount of track on KL, it worked without a hitch.

Hope it doesn't read as gobbledegook!

Jeff

• Like 1

Cheers Jeff, I didn't really understand the technical stuff but Household cable and loads of droppers, and as I have seen first hand on KL its going to work perfect.

Really appreciate your input.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Jeff, I didn't really understand the technical stuff but Household cable and loads of droppers, and as I have seen first hand on KL its going to work perfect.

Really appreciate your input.

Yes, keep it simple and it'll run a treat.

Just been texted a series of very informative photos by Jason - pictures of the open frame baseboards and riser arrangements on his club layout. Can't wait to get to that bit!

Jeff

Yes, keep it simple and it'll run a treat.

Just been texted a series of very informative photos by Jason - pictures of the open frame baseboards and riser arrangements on his club layout. Can't wait to get to that bit!

Jeff

Try the same ADVICE with your baseboard. hhahahheeeee :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :sungum:  

• RMweb Premium

Try the same ADVICE with your baseboard. hhahahheeeee :no:  :no: :no:    

Have you EVER seen me go over-the-top with my baseboard construction?  :no:  :angel:

Ever?  :no:  :angel:

Really?  :O  :O

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for the lack of "action" on here.

It will probably be quiet until the end of next week, when the garage conversion commences (assuming all the building materials I order are delivered).

Jeff

• Like 1

You could be like me- I did get trains running on Long Marton, even had my trainee (and note, he's not QUITE http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94286-i-dont-want-to-say-signalmen-are-highly-trained-monkeys-but/ ) running the 153 around, after he asked politely for a shorter train than the 2130 Euston Sleeper (GUV/BG/BSK/SK/SK/SK/SLEP/SLP/CK/BG) with the 5MT's on the front.  Now the rest of the week is a write off from a railway prospective, as tonight (in about 10 min) I have fire practice, then tomorrow night I start doing a (re) certification for (medical) First Responder, which eats 2 weekends.  I have to look into flying back to Toronto to see my Step Mum, who has been in hospital since before Christmas, she's in her early 80's, and not in great health...which probably will eat another weekend (& a few days off from work).  Oh, and cost more than visiting the UK would !.  Then, we're back into exhibition mode, as I have a lego show to deal with on the 7-9th of Feb, and further shows at the end of Feb.  Then, my mum comes out (along with my sister & niece) for a week, and another pair of shows... & I'm supposed to have Long Marton running in full auto both up & down by mid March... I guess I am going to be busy.

James

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Cor blimey Jeff, this is as slow as me today, NO POST'S!!!!! :O  :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  

The biggest "excitement" today, chez Jeff, was nothing to do with the bunker or railways.

I had a greenhouse installed on Tuesday. Last night the ****ing wind managed to blast 4 of the glass panels to smithereens. Blowing a howling gale now.

I'll be in the bunker tomorrow, doing some rearrangements to give me full access to the back and most of the side walls. Timber and insulation, to get me started, to be ordered on Monday morning.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

But

But.....

While the rest of us haven't been posting Andy you've probably built a whole BR blue shunting layout.......

Yes, Andy's "Last Great Project" looks like it might keep him busy to the middle of 2015. Then what? Can he stack another shed on top of his existing one?

I might have built a baseboard by the time he's planning TLGP2!!

Jeff

• Like 2

The biggest "excitement" today, chez Jeff, was nothing to do with the bunker or railways.

I had a greenhouse installed on Tuesday. Last night the ****ing wind managed to blast 4 of the glass panels to smithereens. Blowing a howling gale now.

I'll be in the bunker tomorrow, doing some rearrangements to give me full access to the back and most of the side walls. Timber and insulation, to get me started, to be ordered on Monday morning.

Jeff

Living where we do, after the first gale (and having retrieved all the 'glazing' from the surrounding countryside), all the panes in our new greenhouse were secured inside and out with duct tape. The tape needs replacing every five years or so!

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 4