Sarn (Montgomeryshire) and Nantcwmdu (South Wales) plus Montgomery Town in 7mm

corneliuslundie

• RMweb Premium

Little modelling progress to report as I have been trying to sort out the wiring on Nantcwmdu and having problems. Now sorted on the centre scenic board and starting on the board farthest from the fiddle yard. And also slowly adding slates to the roof of a half relief pub for the back of the layout.

But at least I can wish everyone the compliments of the season.

432163332_Christmas2022.jpg.12c18a4ce73f13dce981a25900bf3ed5.jpg

Jonathan

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some progress:

1267150447_RedLion1.JPG.b1f5b25cc1bd97aab055c40de5bd268a.JPG

Intended to go at the back of the layout as part of Nantcwmdu town centre, so half relief. The roof is not really as curved as it looks though it is not quite straight and I may have to do something about that when I add it to the layout.

No interiors I am afraid, Chris, though I shall do something to avoid it seeming like a vast void inside.

The building was intended to be at 3.5 mm/ft to give a little sense of perspective, but it seems to have come out at nearer 4 mm/ft.

It is based on a photo found on the net of a pub  up one of the South Wales valleys.

The next building will be a representation of the Gwalia Stores at St Fagans, but don't hold your breath as I still have to work out how to make the shop windows - and they will have to be fully fitted out with the stock. Then I shall work up the chapel front my son gave me.

Of course I am bound to succumb and build a few wagon kits in between.

Jonathan

• Like 6

On 17/01/2023 at 11:50, corneliuslundie said:

The next building will be a representation of the Gwalia Stores at St Fagans, but don't hold your breath as I still have to work out how to make the shop windows...

Nice Pub!

As for shop windows/fronts, I suppose the classic way would be etch or very fine Plasticard strip, stuck to thin clear plastic for the windows. The old Scale Link etched frets are now in separate ownership at Scale Link Fretcetera (www.scalelinkfretcetera.co.uk) -  maybe a fret designed for one purpose, could be modified to your purpose? Station door frets (with glass 'light' above the door) could serve as the Gwalia's entrance? Usefully (on the 'Fretcetera' website), each fret has now been photographed against a metric scale, making it easier to see the fret's actual size. No affiliation, other than I used Scale Link stuff back in the day.

Steve N

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some progress on the layout itself. The two level fiddle yard is complete and cork has now been laid ready for tracklaying. Here joined to the adjacent board so that track can be laid across the baseboard joint. The upper level representing the colliery branch will have one turnout and two lines while the lower level is a sector table which will have either three or four lines depending on how many I decide I can fit in. I am slightly worried about the levels where this line crosses the baseboard joint and wit mat need some careful adjustment of rail heights. I have not completely decided yet whether to follow the track construction style used on the layout itself or do something simpler. But all the materials are in hand.

PICT0003A.JPG.fd69d2a28d5fb06c10fbcdf90e859663.JPG

Not a brilliant photo I am afraid but it is hard to get a view from the best angle.

Jonathan

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Track laying has started. All sleepers stuck down for the branch fiddle yard and the mail line sector plate. I decided to follow the same style of track as on the layout itself, but ran out of copperclad sleeper strip so had to re-use some I had left over from building some conventional chaired track. So off came the soldered on chairs. They are 8 ft 6 in. rather than 9 ft sleepers but that doesn't matter in the fiddle yard.

PICT0010.JPG.586b8f4765a1066d45e117d71a5487c2.JPG

It can be seen that there is some ready built track at the far end. I realised that I will not have enough code 60 FB frail, so shall use this instead at that end of the siding. I'll have to take care about the levels where the two track styles meet. Unfortunately, I have a feeing that I shall still run out of rail. I do have a spare length of code 100 FB rail which may have to be used, but that will be tricky. But I don't want to buy 12 lengths when I only need one.

In fact since the photo was taken I have started soldering rail to the sleepers. So hopefully another update next week.

Jonathan

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A brief update on Nantcwmdu.

Track all now laid across the last joint and through the fiddle yard including the four roads on the sector table. Wiring done on the boards except that I can't find by supply of ""choc block" terminal blocks. So work there is on hold for a couple of weeks (it will have to be out of the way anyway when family comes to stay).

So now trying to sort out the compensation on 1196, after which I shall have to repair the brake gear etc. And trying to assemble a cast metal kit for a GWR fruit van. It should have DC brakegear, which I have done before, but the kit doesn't seem to include all the necessary components, especially the bits which need to be etched brass. I may have lost them but as they are not listed in the instructions I suspect that I am going to have to source them elsewhere.

And I think I shall make a start on the Peco "tin tab" kit and the low relief chapel which will go at the back of the layout in the town. Plus another pub, a shop or two and lost of terraced houses. So plenty to keep me out of mischief.

Jonathan

• Like 6

If it's things like fold up etched brass W irons, I believe such things are still available. I had a fruit van kit years ago and I can't remember if it was a Geen or D&S, but I did buy odd bits to add to it.

The odd thing about the majority of those old chapels is that they might as well have been low relief. A really impressive frontage with basically a brick box behind. Very like a frontier town and something that the cinema copied a few decades later.

I'm looking forward to seeing the model take shape.

This is a typical one in Leicestershire.

IMG_20221226_155029.jpg.2a3e3cf7960f786f1f34d03cc4b01e80.jpg

Picture Dr.E.C.Spiers 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I decided that the various bits of pull rod linking the brake blocks to the levers and the vacuum cylinder could be soldered up. I have made a start and so far have been successful. Now I need to find a type of superglue I am happy with. I used to use a gel type but it has disappeared, or rather it is not differently packaged and I found it very hard to control getting it out of the tube. I tried UHU instead but it didn't provide a firm enough joint.

Re the chapels, one will be from the kit and the other from a chapel front which my son gave me, 3D printed I think. It was for a project at his club but is apparently not wanted.

And "choc block" supply found - Wilko.

But the family arrived today so my modelling room is temporarily a bedroom.

Jonathan

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, the GWR Fruit van with DC 3 vacuum fitted brake gear is complete except for weathering. I had to make some compromises with the rodding to allow for the S&W couplings but they don't show. The return to has to be Worcester as that is the only likely destination on the transfer sheet. The number was chosen so that the condition was correct for 1912.

PICT0044.JPG.fc6a91ee4656619204e0ec380015a6f7.JPG

I have also been building a Slaters Gloucester coal wagon for the local coal merchant. A good way to use up the J and Z on the transfer sheet. And no, I am not going to put the town on the side. Nantcwmdu uses just too many letter Ns.

PICT0041.JPG.3a4724e3dd7e283a4237c3905c4c828b.JPG

The "tin tab" mentioned previously is nearly complete, though I still need to finish painting the gutters, downpipes and door. "Research" (ie asking some questions) indicates that it would most likely have been a Congregational chapel, so it will be Welsh language Congregational. It needs notices on the very small noticeboard beside the front door.

PICT0045.JPG.1fbb8a81be8f2e21fd507fbbb5df5b98.JPG

As it happens my son recently gave me  a low relief chapel. It is brick rather than stone, but then so are some in this area. It has so far only had a coat of brown paint to blend the bright red plastic brickwork making up the extended sides with the front facade. It has had the name of the chapel added in the circular opening above the door, which I gather was originally intended as a window. SOAR was the shortest I could think of. This one will be Welsh Presbyterian (English language). My silly thought is to have recordings of hymns in the appropriate languages playing to a speaker underneath the board.

PICT0047.JPG.7182fccf5dea622b055a8f4ab773b990.JPG

I have managed to sort out the brake gear of 1196 and have also added lamp irons and touched up the paintwork.

And at last I have started on the scenic work on the "country" board. I decided that I wanted a steam appearing out from under the road which runs along the back, flowing into a pond and then down some rapids to disappear under the two railway lines. BUT of course once again my lack of planning ahead has caused problems. So I am now in the process of hacking at the girders which (of course!) run under the main line so that I can insert a bridge under the line. Here is the state of things so far. A lot still to do, even after all the foamboard substrate for the scenery is in place.

PICT0040.JPG.f67dccf9e1d4ac3762e86ed4f8639855.JPG

You can see where I have cut back the ply supporting the track to allow for the bridge girders.

One day the mock-up terraces will be replaced by proper models but don't hold your breath.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
errors
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

Well, the GWR Fruit van with DC 3 vacuum fitted brake gear is complete except for weathering. I had to make some compromises with the rodding to allow for the S&W couplings but they don't show. The return to has to be Worcester as that is the only likely destination on the transfer sheet. The number was chosen so that the condition was correct for 1912.

PICT0044.JPG.fc6a91ee4656619204e0ec380015a6f7.JPG

I have also been building a Slaters Gloucester coal wagon for the local coal merchant. A good way to use up the J and Z on the transfer sheet. And no, I am not going to put the town on the side. Nantcwmdu uses just too many letter Ns.

PICT0041.JPG.3a4724e3dd7e283a4237c3905c4c828b.JPG

The "tin tab" mentioned previously is nearly complete, though I still need to finish painting the gutters, downpipes and door. "Research" (ie asking some questions) indicates that it would most likely have been a Congregational chapel, so it will be Welsh language Congregational. It needs notices on the very small noticeboard beside the front door.

PICT0045.JPG.1fbb8a81be8f2e21fd507fbbb5df5b98.JPG

As it happens my son recently gave me  a low relief chapel. It is brick rather than stone, but then so are some in this area. It has so far only had a coat of brown paint to blend the bright red plastic brickwork making up the extended sides with the front facade. It has had the name of the chapel added in the circular opening above the door, which I gather was originally intended as a window. SOAR was the shortest I could think of. This one will be Welsh Presbyterian (English language). My silly thought is to have recordings of hymns in the appropriate languages playing to a speaker underneath the board.

PICT0047.JPG.7182fccf5dea622b055a8f4ab773b990.JPG

I have managed to sort out the brake gear of 1196 and have also added lamp irons and touched up the paintwork.

And at last I have started on the scenic work on the "country" board. I decided that I wanted a steam appearing out from under the road which runs along the back, flowing into a pond and then down some rapids to disappear under the two railway lines. BUT of course once again my lack of planning ahead has caused problems. So I am now in the process of hacking at the girders which (of course!) run under the main line so that I can insert a bridge under the line. Here is the state of things so far. A lot still to do, even after all the foamboard substrate for the scenery is in place.

PICT0040.JPG.f67dccf9e1d4ac3762e86ed4f8639855.JPG

You can see where I have cut back the ply supporting the track to allow for the bridge girders.

One day the mock-up terraces will be replaced by proper models but don't hold your breath.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Nice modelling as ever.  Your downpipes seem to fit, whereas mine do not seem to, so I am waiting until I get, either some different ones, or inspiration as to what to use instead.

I do like your other chapel, but it is not as close to the one(s) I might build.  (I shall probably take a redundant one and bring it back into use,)

Notices.  I should have thought more about them when I was doing my newspaper headlines, and front pages, but perhaps I shall have to do them with the timetables, to put on the wall of the station building, so as not to use an inch on the top of some A4.  The Tin Tab notice board is not very big, so it may just get, Sunday 11am, Always open for prayer.

Did you put the name on, if so what did you use?

• RMweb Premium

On the half relief chapel there was a circular opening. I with a square recess behind. I cut a piece of plastic sheet to fit and used some 1.5 mm letters from Slaters - intended for station nameboards I think - which I happened to have in stock. The solvent has softened the "edges of the letters which does not matter as they are intended to have been carved.

I am thinking about an interior for the "tin tab" but it will not be as detailed as yours, though as it will be possibkle to look in the side windows I need to do something.

Excavating for the stream (Nant Ddu?) nearly completed yesterday. Not more foamboard to fit at that lower lever and then the abutments for the two railway bridges (both kits) and the main girders. I am currently looking for a suitable small tunnel mouth (4 mm single track or 2 mm double track) for where the stream comes out under the road at the back.

Anyway, also getting various things rerady for the Welsh Railways Research Circle AGM at Rhiwderin on 3 June. I hope perhaps some of those reading this will be there.

Jonathan

PS I haven't yet decided whether the coal merchant is Zachariah or Zephaniah Jones. I shall need to before I sign write his hut in the yard and his horse drawn delivery lorry.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Modelling has had to take a back seat recently for two reasons. The first is that we have just spent two weeks in Albania helping with a children's camp at a Christian centre, something we have done most years recently.

The second is that I have been producing two books for the WRRC, and both were passed press the day before we left for the airport.

But both have now been delivered. I have posted details in the Books section here. One is a well illustrated book about the cement industry, power stations and associated railways of Aberthaw and Rhoose.

But the other one is the one you have all been waiting for: my first of two volumes of Cambrian Railways drawings. I am currently arranging for the bulk to be delivered. 

But the next task is to make sure Sarn is workng properly, along with the locos and stock, as it is scheduled to appear at the Bishops Castle Railway exhibition in September. I have helped with layouts at exhibition but never taken my own before.

And hopefully in the autumn I shall be able to get back to the scenery on Nantcwmdu.

Jonathan

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another three weeks.

A lot of time has been spent adding the links to Sprat & Winkle couplings and getting them to work with each other. Just about complete except for one Mainline LMS van which needs a bit of work with a fine saw so that the coupling one end can actually be close enough to the headstock to project far enough from the wagon end.

I have also started looking at the loco fleet. Neither of those where I built the chassis myself works very well, probably because I haven't got the compensation set up right. A truly ancient GWR pannier tank I bought second hand many years ago didn't move an inch. So I tried oiling it. Now it is the best of the bunch. A lesson there? There is another loco, a GWR saddle tank, which I bought second hand many years ago at Expo EM at Bletchley which used to work better than it now does so also needs some TLC.

I feel that I need at least three locos which work well when i take the layout to the Bishops Castle show in September. So I shall have to have another go at the Dean Gods as I think that will be easier to sort out than 1196.

Then I need to make sure that the layout works properly too. An initial check suggested that there is a problem with one microswitch not changing over properly when the point lever is reversed.  Of course, the microswitch is under the scenery! So I may have to ask the sheep to move on.

And unrepentant, I recently bought a kit for a GWR 2021 saddle tank. I still need to buy wheels, motor and gearbox. The latter will be High Level but I gather that some of the 2021 class had H spoked wheels, though that is not mentioned in the RCTS book. So some research needed before I buy wheels. What may decide things is what etched number plates I can find on sale.

So not a very satisfying three weeks but at least I now have two working locos for the show.

Jonathan

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 31/07/2023 at 14:39, corneliuslundie said:

I feel that I need at least three locos which work well when i take the layout to the Bishops Castle show in September.

Do you have any details or link regarding this show -  have had a quick search and cannot find anything.

Steve N

• RMweb Premium

I have not seen any publicity but our model railway club was asked if we could offer a layout. The relevant information  from the e-mail received is:

"The date is Saturday 16th September 10.30 – 6.  It is not a big model railway show, just a few layouts in the marquee, plus other attractions in the yard and the BCR layout in the building. All part of the much larger Michaelmas Fair event throughout the town. "

Nothing so far in the BCRS Newsletter though.

I hope this helps.

Jonathan

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Jonathan is correct - it's not a model railway show as such, I think three layouts, including our Bishop's Castle circa 1932 model of the town's station, and a military vehicle group in the yard. In the town - separately provided - there are likely to be half a dozen or more traction engines in steam. If the steam crane is out, there probably will be a lifting demonstration. The weighbridge also has a GWR banana van which houses our second-hand books. And of course the restored weighbridge, the last remaining building in town from the Bishop's Castle Railway.

David

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, I survived the Bishops Castle show. As David said, there was a lot more than just the model railways. In fact in addition to the model of Bishops Castle, there were three in the small marquee. I was rather concerned when we had about two visitors in the first hour, but then it got quite busy - well as busy as you can have when there is room for about six people in the marquee at once. And a large number of traction engines and similar, vintage motor vehicles and a lot else which I didn't see because I was operating the layout.

I did eventually get Sarn working, sort of. I found about two weeks before the show that there was a problem with the tiebar of the only motorised point. I ended up replacing the mechanism completely, but never got it adjusted properly so one siding was out of use - well, in fact it had two coal wagons awaiting unloading so no-one except the operators noticed.

Another problem reared its head on the day. I had replaced both the microswitches for the three way point at the entrance to the yard with ones I can get at, but it appeared that one was a bit too close to the track as once I had hidden it with a modicum of scenery the footboard of the brake van fouled it. Fortunately it only happened when entering the back road, so again a bit of planning of moves avoided the problem. In fact I think the footboards are over width so I shall be taking a look at them as well as the microswitch.

The other thing I did was to tart up some of the grass which was looking rather more brown than when I first created it. An easy job with suitable scatter and matt spray varnish.

The loco I bought at Expo-EM North worked very well, though some of the track was not completely clean. The friend who was with me recommended once the track was clean using some graphite, and it seems to have helped quite a bit.

At Expo-EM I bought a pack of three unmade second-hand Slaters Gloucester 7-plank wagon kits. I also met a friend who recommended a different way of adding white lettering. Of course one cannot print in white on decal sheet. So he paints the wagon side white and then makes up decals for the black. I am in the process of trying this on these three wagons - when I can find the decal sheet I have squirrelled away somewhere. I'll report on results but don't hold your breath.

Jonathan

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

If you want “large” white (or yellow) letters, you could create the artwork on a suitable graphics or cad program, spray the transfer film, then use a silhouette cutter to cut individual letters out.  This might be possible in 4mm, I have successfully used the approach in 7mm.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, some progress. After much fiddling including having to rebuild part of the brake gear, I have got the compensation on GWR No. 1196 working properly. I thought for some time that the problem was that the two sides were differently adjusted, but it turned out that on one side the compensation beam was coming against one of the frame spacers and therefore could not rotate as much as it needed to. Now sorted and the loco runs much better with only a slight waddle - probably I have not got the quartering quite right yet. 

So on to another project (though I have nearly completed three Slaters mineral wagons to keep me sane - purchased secondhand at EXPO EM North.

Apart from sorting out the misbehaving turnout on Sarn, the next project will be an IKB Models etched brass kit for a GWR Diagram S6 6-wheeled carriage. This is already testing me as one has to sweat a layer with the detail onto the solebar and soldering is not my best skill  I have had the kit for years and even though I really don't need another GWR carriage I am determined not to let it beat me.

And in parallel I shall be restarting the wiring of Nantcwmdu and adding the rest of the cosmetic spike heads to the track. I have learned my lesson and all the point controls etc will be easily accessible in case of later problems.

This Saturday and Sunday if all goes well I shall be on the WRRC stand at the Cardiff show. If you are there please say hullo/bore da.

Jonathan

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Time for an update.

Sarn is more or less in working order and “complete” so I have transferred my attention to Nantcwmdu.

But I was sidetracked by spotting a cassette box in a local recycling shop – ideal for storing 4 mm stock. So I cut up plywood and plastic sheet to create partitions. I mentioned this to a friend and was given two of those wooden boxes which are sold containing art materials. Also ideal as stock boxes so more partitions. Then my wife came home with another cassette box so more partitions. So now I actually have room to store all my rolling stock properly with space for a few more wagons.

In the mean time I have completed adding the cosmetic spike heads to the track on the station board and painted the sleepers and added ballast to the two tracks through the station – though the goods yard track needs different ballast, less tidy and more like mud. And attention has transferred to the “country” board which also needs the cosmetic spike heads fixing, the sleepers painting and ballast laying so that I can get on with the scenery.

Also on the workbench is early stages of a model of Gwalia Stores from St Fagans folk museum, which seems an ideal prototype for the shop in Nantcwmdu main street. The challenge is the shop windows and doors and I am making them from Perspex, with framing added in plastic strip etc. A slow process.

Not much to report on the club Montgomery layout. We have been having a rethink about it for some time, as it will not fit in the clubroom as designed as it is about 3 ft too long. But after a lot of mulling things over, including whether we actually want to build a layout which we will be unable to take to exhibitions as originally intended as none of us will be young enough to hire a van, we have re-arranged it along two sides of the clubroom and intend to build a non-scenic link between the two parts. So I intend in the new year to complete the ex Mid Wales Railway brake van, a six-wheeled carriage kit and a few wagon kits. But don’t hold your breath.

So nothing worth photographing I am afraid. Maybe next time.

Christmas2023.jpg.aa96bfdeb34e23bc5f2b1fb5b8335ca4.jpg

• Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I haven't been idle, honest. Well, not completely

I have actually ballasted the track on the station board, and am completing the track on the "country" board - hundreds of those little bits of strip to re[present spike heads.  About five eighths of the way there.

Not much progress with Gwalia Stores while I think about how to represent the windows and their displays.

But I decided that there was one job I really ought to do - adding the magnetic links to wagon couplings, something I tend not to do when I build a wagon with the (very weak) excuse that they sometimes drop off. So over the last month I have had about 30 wagons at a time on the workbench. The best part of 100 now done, also making sure that the couplings can actually drop when pulled by a magnet. Even making the wheels go round on some wagons. The culprit is usually a brake shoe (doing its job) but on one scratch built GWR Loriot the wheels were rubbing against the insides of the frames.  I eventually realised that they were a bit over gauge, mainly because I was using inside bearings and the wheels needed thinning down on the insides so they could be set to gauge. Done.

But the exercise also reminded me of just how many of my Rhymney wagons either had lettering on only one side or did not have the small "To carry" etc lettering. To say nothing of those where the lettering had partly rubbed off through handling because I had not added the small lettering and therefore not varnished the vehicle to protect the transfers. So now all have their R R lettering thanks to a very old PC Models sheet of SR wagon transfers - not exactly matching but pretty good and in the right sizes.

The problem about the very small lettering is that the Rhymney used a distinctive style of script, not really like that used by the GWR. And I have not discovered another company which used a similar style.

And finally, I managed to damage the lower running board of one of the brake vans and realised when I looked that both the 8 ton brake vans need their lower footboards replaced as they have distorted badly over time and the plastic supports have become very brittle. One now done in brass, three to go. However, I used my tin of Rhymney wagon grey paint (bought after it was discontinued by Precision) on the footboard only to discover that it is considerably darker than the GWR grey I had used previously.

Bu there is really nothing worth photographing at this stage.

And there are at least 100 other wagons and a good many carriages which need those little magnetic links.

Hopefully some photos next time.

Jonathan

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, nearly three months. I haven't been idle, honest.

First an interesting experiment. At last year's Scalefour Crewe I met an acquaintance and we started talking about private owner wagon liveries, especially  South Wales ones which were usually black with white lettering. He told me that he does his by painting the wagon side white and then using decal film for the black. I decided to try this and bought some film. I had used decal film before for black lettering on some BCR vans for the club layout but couldn't find the brand I had used, so I bought some on-line. It was much cheaper but when it came the instructions said that after the decal had been applied the object should be baked in an oven at 150 C for 15 minutes. Well, a test with some spare kit parts showed that they sagged a great deal so heating the wagon was out of the question. Anyway, I thought it was worth a try. The first two were failures as I didn't manage to get the decal flat and correctly positioned, but I then managed reasonably successfully to apply decals to both sides of a wagon. I used Microscale Microset to bed the decal down and get it to wrap around the various projections on the wagon side. Then I used matt varnish. This is the result:

PICT0068.JPG.994ca181ee8ae05564f454f4c6583a1a.JPG

Seen on the partially ballasted track of the layout's "scenic" board. Reasonably successful. I have three more wagons to do but shall need to reprint the decals for the one which didn't work.

And the other thing I have been doing is adding the magnetic coupling links to the vehicles which had never had them - over 100. In doing so I opened a stock box and discovered a whole batch of wagons for the local colliery including five which had never been completely lettered. These have now been lettered and here are some of them:

PICT0070.JPG.5f17fb7f14b90a2caf3daf71d7cb0c23.JPG

You will notice that the three are for the same colliery but with different lettering styles. Also they are brown - they already were. The different styles are supposed to represent a small colliery which buys wagons a few at a time, sometimes second-hand, and has them lettered differently at the whim of the owner. There is even one with Nantcwmdu spelt with a double d as though it is mutated. The real reason is that I soon run out of the relevant letters on any transfer sheet. Incidentally, the load and tare lettering is from an old PC transfer sheet of Southern Railway wagon lettering.

The colliery has also acquired a brakevan second hand from the Midland Railway, probably via a  dealer.

PICT0069.JPG.50dfeb2a6b2882243d8afdb735d5b230.JPG

As usual, the photo shows up imperfections in the painting, which will have to be rectified.

And apologies for the angle. The colliery branch is on a gradient bit is not that steep!

Anyway, now to finish the ballasting so I can start the scenic work, and another 30 or so wagons needing their coupling links.

Jonathan

• Like 6