St Dennis

hoffers

A New Year and a new layout ...

St Dennis is my first serious attempt at building a a layout and it's gonna be one hell of a learning curve for me!!

Although I dabbled with model railways in the early eighties I could never settle upon a trackplan or particular area to model so eventually I just lost interest and sold it all.

Now, however, perhaps a little wiser and certainly much more patient I have once again purchased everything I need to get this project underway.

It will be a journey of discovery as weathering, electrics and various other facets of the hobby are rocket science to me. However, I'm keen to get cracking so I hope that inspires me to build something that I can be proud of.

I'm very fortunate in having a great set of mates at the Ebor Group of Railway Modellers club in York (EGRM) so I'm sure they'll guide me in the right direction should I balls anything up.

It's a home layout built for my own enjoyment but it will also be portable and hopefully good enough for the exhibition circuit.

St Dennis is what might have been had the proposal put forward in 1986 (and again between 2001-2006) to introduce a direct route from St Austell through to Newquay come to fruition.

The previously freight only line from St Austell to St Dennis Junction has now been extended and joins the Newquay/Par branch at St Columb Road.

The aforementioned proposal actually suggested closing the line between Par and St Columb Rd to passenger traffic but, not wishing to deprive the good people of Luxulyan, Bugle and Roche of their rail service, I've left it alone and Newquay therefore benefits from two passenger routes.

An hourly DMU service from St Austell to Newquay calls at new stations Foxhole, Treviscoe, St Dennis and Toldish before joining the original Newquay to Par line at St Columb Road.

I've used artistic licence by modelling a fifteen year period between 1970 - 1985 thus allowing me to run BR Blue, diesel hydraulics plus 80s icons like large logo Class 50s, though I hasten to add, not all viewed at the same time! One time scale will be replaced by another and so forth.

At St Dennis Station the line divides in two before crossing the River Fal with one single line heading towards the next station at Toldish and ultimately Newquay. This line also plays host to regular stone trains to and from the imaginery Fraddon Quarry owned by the Associated Road stone Company (ARC).

The other single line is freight only and serves diesel trains to the Indian Queens Power Station (an actual place though not rail linked), China Clay outlets and the St Dennis Creamery (another figment of my imagination) which continues to supply milk to London well into the 1980s.

I was once a milkman so it's a nice little reference to my past.

Light engine movements to and from St Blazey Depot are also common.

St Dennis is a DCC end-to-end exhibition layout controlled by the NCE Powercab Pro system with sound-chipped locos.

Peco Code 75 track is used throughout and buildings are either modified off-the-shelf items or scratchbuilt. Signalling will be semaphore.

The scenic section is 8ft x 2ft and includes a small station, goods train loop and the creamery with associated sidings all sandwiched between a 4ft x 2ft fiddle yard at either end.

Wish me luck . . .

• 3 weeks later...

Well when you build it. I'll have to bring my stock round and we can run it in sectorisation era. I'll just have to purchase some more CDA clay wagons!

Defo matey, would be good to have pop in. I'm just finalising my track plan and then I'll crack on with getting it built and add piccies as I go. Cu at Ebor Model Railway Cub tonight.

Archived