LNER Models in 4mm

micklner

3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Other way up - it's a five sided box (sides, ends, roof) which then screws down onto the floor.   I make all my coaches that way, it leads you to the neatest and least visible joints.   If you've made a D&S carriage or NPC then you'll have the idea.

There's a download called 'Building Coaches the Comet Way' which I think you can still find on their website which explains it in more detail.

And to think I have always built them with a removable roof and nailed the sides to the floor until now. Every day is a learning day. 
thank you for the advice. 
richard

• 4 weeks later...

D&S GCR Milk Van , lovely kit.

IMG_1703.JPG.f3f44090f218b6cb89b1a39debd378e4.JPGfullsizeoutput_31fe.jpeg.fa34b172a0117499bf123f66e30533be.jpeg

Worsley Works etchers are now back at work, hopefully I will get the Roofs for the NER Clerstory Coaches shown earlier, in about a month time. Meanwhile, I have been building Nucast G6 photos in due course.

• Like 15

• 4 weeks later...

E bay find .

D&S NER Clerestory Dia 7 Compo and another Dia 18 Brake Third.

Photos show them broken down into component parts. I have just stripped the paint off both ( brush painted onto Brass without primer and  lumps and bumps in paint), as they both have most of the parts present, I will probably rebuild these first , the other ex NER Clerestories shown earlier are still awating the roof etches arrival.

Has anyone a copy of the Dia 7 instructions and/or some of the Dia 7 running numbers please ?? Also needed are cast Gas Tanks x 4 and a number of the small round bottom of the Bolster?  brass fittings for the bogie springs, cast Queen Posts x 4  if anybody knows a source for these items or similar  please ??

fullsizeoutput_322d.jpeg.eb63e7b05f72ae0be5692a618f36baa8.jpegfullsizeoutput_322a.jpeg.916fb22b7cbc28c35d81b918adf1cd1a.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Good find :) I've been after some of those - I even have a daily email from ebay showing "d&s" so not sure how I missed them! I'll send you a PM in a minute regarding instructions.

Ref gas cylinders - a lot were converted to electric lighting so you may not need them?

Jonathan Wealleans used Comet LNER battery boxes (which I am planning on using). I can't help with the queen posts, but if you do decide you need the gas cylinders I may be able to help - I need to compare them to GER ones as I have some 4 wheelers that were probably still gas lit.

Edited by Bucoops
Spelling

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought on the bogie parts - Roxey Mouldings may have some castings that would work - his springs include the damper things.

Too boogie is a D&S NER one, bottom is a Roxey plate bogie tweaked with different castings to resemble a GER one. This particular casting wouldn't look right for NER but it shows the included dampers. A lot  neater than my attempt at the D&S method.

20200621_161426.jpg.6ccfa3120d5491f0d58383a73a6fb497.jpg

Edited by Bucoops
Photo
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Just a thought on the bogie parts - Roxey Mouldings may have some castings that would work - his springs include the damper things.

Too boogie is a D&S NER one, bottom is a Roxey plate bogie tweaked with different castings to resemble a GER one. This particular casting wouldn't look right for NER but it shows the included dampers. A lot  neater than my attempt at the D&S method.

20200621_161426.jpg.6ccfa3120d5491f0d58383a73a6fb497.jpg

The only part I need for the Bogies is the small circular part hanging below the frames (if that makes sense). Unless somebody has spares which would be very lucky !. I will make them from plastic rod once painted they wont be too obvious.

Re Gas tanks yes please if you have any spare.

The coaches were poorly listed  I found them by sheer luck , there was also another one which was in poor condition , I slipped up and ignored it , I could have stripped it for spares for the two I have  !.

Many thanks for the copy of the instructions for the Dia 7.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 2

I too are missing the fox bodies castings to a couple of coaches. Mjt  have the fox bogies but are GNR https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2416.php 

i may have the instrustions your looking for some where. I'll go digging over the weekend. I saw them about 2 weekends ago looking at my small but selective collection of carriages! 

Ok an hour later, I had a quick look...  the box it came in has turned up but not the instructions. I'll keep looking tomorrow (it's 10pm here)

Edited by DougN

1 hour ago, DougN said:

I too are missing the fox bodies castings to a couple of coaches. Mjt  have the fox bogies but are GNR https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2416.php 

i may have the instrustions your looking for some where. I'll go digging over the weekend. I saw them about 2 weekends ago looking at my small but selective collection of carriages! 

Ok an hour later i yer I had a quick look...  the box it came in has turned up but not the instructions. I'll keep looking tomorrow (it's 10pm here)

I have the instructions thanks. If yours does'nt turn up I can forward the copy I have .

This is what I found today on the dia 7's image.jpg.c97fa29c1e7f80864d5f2b23cfb2b885.jpg

along withimage.jpg.396b5958894d9a66af6e0467e0b70364.jpg

i am not not sure if this has solved any of your questions. The turned brass bolsters to the bottom of the bogies are an issue as I too am missing these. I am tempted to try the MJT versions as I have spares of  from the various NER coaches I have collected but none of these little bolsters or the axles boxes/ spring units. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

From what I have seen there are two versions of the round bits (bolsters? dampers?) - early ones had whitemetal ones which are what I have used a couple of times. Then there are the brass ones which I've not built any of yet. I do have a GER restaurant car which has Fox bogies that has them in the roundtuit pile.

371031087_NERbogiedampers.png.6eacecc50f79d5842fad39ddefcc0a0a.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, DougN said:

This is what I found today on the dia 7's image.jpg.c97fa29c1e7f80864d5f2b23cfb2b885.jpg

along withimage.jpg.396b5958894d9a66af6e0467e0b70364.jpg

i am not not sure if this has solved any of your questions. The turned brass bolsters to the bottom of the bogies are an issue as I too am missing these. I am tempted to try the MJT versions as I have spares of  from the various NER coaches I have collected but none of these little bolsters or the axles boxes/ spring units. 

Excellent thanks very much. The "Bolsters" in brass are being replaced with ones from old Kirk Gresley bogies. Not perfect but near enough .

• Like 1

Lovely stuff. I was going to press the 'like' button but your BTP is way better than that. The etched splashers are particularly good - I didn't know that Nu Cast kits were supplied with such modern innovations!!

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

One of the most attractive and impressive pieces of modelling I've seen for quite some time and additional kudos given the provenance of the base model BTP.

Regards, 

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 21/06/2020 at 13:53, micklner said:

E bay find .

D&S NER Clerestory Dia 7 Compo and another Dia 18 Brake Third.

Photos show them broken down into component parts. I have just stripped the paint off both ( brush painted onto Brass without primer and  lumps and bumps in paint), as they both have most of the parts present, I will probably rebuild these first , the other ex NER Clerestories shown earlier are still awating the roof etches arrival.

Has anyone a copy of the Dia 7 instructions and/or some of the Dia 7 running numbers please ?? Also needed are cast Gas Tanks x 4 and a number of the small round bottom of the Bolster?  brass fittings for the bogie springs, cast Queen Posts x 4  if anybody knows a source for these items or similar  please ??

fullsizeoutput_322d.jpeg.eb63e7b05f72ae0be5692a618f36baa8.jpegfullsizeoutput_322a.jpeg.916fb22b7cbc28c35d81b918adf1cd1a.jpeg

Ex NER Dia D 7 and Dia 18 rebuilt. It would have been a lot easier to have built kits!! Lots of little mistakes in the builds when examined, and have been totally rebuilt including a new roof for the Dia 18.

I am still waiting for the roofs from Worsley Works for the other part built ex NER Coaches shown earlier , hopefully soon . I have also obtained secondhand parts for a further Dia 18 as well.

IMG_2119.JPG.fc5060756d36d3547f47218ac3c77c2f.JPG

fullsizeoutput_3360.jpeg.3ddd248aa682c1c61ff144ff3d7f2602.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

This arrived today via HERMES wrapped in a bit cardboard and some bubble wrap. The poor thing didnt journey well. Please dont use Hermes they must have a world cup standard Football team and a Rugby team working for them !!

A suitable refund is being given , what I now need are the building instructions for a Little Engines LNER A7 , hopefully it can be saved in due course. Not helped by whitemetal crossheads and whoever built it added a plastic sheet roof for the Cab. Any suggestions a re a source for lost wax crossheads and/or rear bogie casting please?

Thanks for any assistance.

IMG_2121.JPG.8ac60a5de867fecbe1e57ad854ce66d9.JPGfullsizeoutput_3367.jpeg.e112d68f9f1770b9abcb6ef4d2fca8fd.jpegfullsizeoutput_3368.jpeg.fbc6986681fff7a2588578d31d9fe037.jpegfullsizeoutput_3369.jpeg.c7fdcd3a2c08483a3625760bf11877cb.jpegfullsizeoutput_336a.jpeg.2f46147fcfeee77c181c611e97339bed.jpegfullsizeoutput_336b.jpeg.12d015cb6f83394caabb82accd283756.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 7

I have now furthered examined the A7, and found a old Triang type chassis fitted with a XO4 and a stripped gear (listed as a good runner). It will be sent back as its fit for the bin, not worth the time and effort to get it going, unless anyone has a spare Little Engines kit A7 chassis  !!

• Friendly/supportive 3