LNER Models in 4mm

micklner

The seller gave a full refund and did'nt want the Loco returned to him. I have decided to rescue "the old dog " as she will now be known as.

Body stripped a number of parts were made of plastikard . After a bit of hed scratching Tony Wright i.d the old chassis as possibly a A3 chassis , the wheel spacings are the same as the A3 as is the bogie ,in view of this, I will attempt to make a etched  Comet A3 chassis fit to the body in due course. It will have a High Level Gearbox and a modern motor fitted and new wheels other than the Romford Drivers fitted.

Thanks to Mark C (on here)  for comparison photos of his unbuilt Little Engines  A7 kit , a lot of parts of  which are totally different from The  Old Dog version I have,  a updated version must have been made at some point in the past.

Current state, it awaits cleaning and a lot of repairs to be done,  the chassis will be built first , in due course.

IMG_2135.JPG.a3bb9d5ceb622a6ab01b08af4815838f.JPGIMG_2136.JPG.bf0cc7c996aa195fe3e6f7bacca4e541.JPGIMG_2137.JPG.91b8c592bee6e361abcdbbdc4dfc0334.JPGIMG_2138.JPG.82a841e5ca260ab41906f53ce4c94819.JPGIMG_2139.JPG.c61391f54cbe6513af1ad81887520c9b.JPGIMG_2140.JPG.c6b8a86e12deda1550806e9e33e9f68b.JPG

Edited by micklner
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 11/09/2020 at 18:54, micklner said:

The seller gave a full refund and did'nt want the Loco returned to him. I have decided to rescue "the old dog " as she will now be known as.

Body stripped a number of parts were made of plastikard . After a bit of hed scratching Tony Wright i.d the old chassis as possibly a A3 chassis , the wheel spacings are the same as the A3 as is the bogie ,in view of this, I will attempt to make a etched  Comet A3 chassis fit to the body in due course. It will have a High Level Gearbox and a modern motor fitted and new wheels other than the Romford Drivers fitted.

Thanks to Mark C (on here)  for comparison photos of his unbuilt Little Engines  A7 kit , a lot of parts of  which are totally different from The  Old Dog version I have,  a updated version must have been made at some point in the past.

Current state, it awaits cleaning and a lot of repairs to be done,  the chassis will be built first , in due course.

IMG_2135.JPG.a3bb9d5ceb622a6ab01b08af4815838f.JPGIMG_2136.JPG.bf0cc7c996aa195fe3e6f7bacca4e541.JPGIMG_2137.JPG.91b8c592bee6e361abcdbbdc4dfc0334.JPGIMG_2138.JPG.82a841e5ca260ab41906f53ce4c94819.JPGIMG_2139.JPG.c61391f54cbe6513af1ad81887520c9b.JPGIMG_2140.JPG.c6b8a86e12deda1550806e9e33e9f68b.JPG

Great to see this loco being rescued Mick - always sorry to see things binned but fully appreciate how much time and effort will go into this! I look forward to seeing it rise,:) phoenix-like.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, micklner said:

As promised The Old Dog is reborn , now ready for painting. Cab Roof will not be fixed down, until the interior is detailed, painted and glazed.

fullsizeoutput_3485.jpeg.6c7a5d6d5aee6caf60efb685d1e7058f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3486.jpeg.97823dbfc931b9d28ed8acd875725bf5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_348b.jpeg.7a5b665eb6029801c60cae353163d94b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_348a.jpeg.506d7f951d9f9201b5523b79da7ecdd8.jpeg

Neat rebuild!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Mick, a small point,  but the equalising pipes between front and rear tanks is not as far below the valance as on your model.  The top of the  pipe was at the same level as the valance bottom which was six inches deep. 

As an aside these pipes seem to have been a standard length of 5' 9", the A6 and N10 and F8 all used this size.           

ArthurK

9 hours ago, ArthurK said:

Mick, a small point,  but the equalising pipes between front and rear tanks is not as far below the valance as on your model.  The top of the  pipe was at the same level as the valance bottom which was six inches deep. 

As an aside these pipes seem to have been a standard length of 5' 9", the A6 and N10 and F8 all used this size.           

ArthurK

Arthur

Can I confirm there should'nt therefore be a gap ? The pipe is your casting I bought for my Falcon F8 and sadly there was not enough foom to fit it .

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

You probably have all the reference photos you need, but in case this one has passed you by, here is one from the collection of 1920s LNER photos my Dad acquired.

Yes I had found that picture on a search , excellent for detail , thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, micklner said:

Arthur

Can I confirm there should'nt therefore be a gap ? The pipe is your casting I bought for my Falcon F8 and sadly there was not enough foom to fit it .

No gap, no, Mick. There's a good low-level view (albeit of a T1) in David Dunn's Steam Memories No.19: North East Scrapyards, p.11 (Book Law).  

I suspect the balance pipe was square section: the LRM G5 kit supplies it that shape, and pictures of an A7 in a state of undress on pages 16, 17 and 21 in Dunn's Steam Memories No.41: Darlington Scrapyard show the pipe on the ground, with the views on p.16 and 21 being the clearest indication it was square in section, with the edges rounded slightly. 

EDIT: you did well not to fit the balance pipe to the F8, as low-level, well-lit shots of an F8 and a G5 works grey in Ken Hoole's An Illustrated History of NER Locomotives on pages 69 and 71 show it to be invisible.  

Edited by Daddyman
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Daddyman said:

No gap, no, Mick. There's a good low-level view (albeit of a T1) in David Dunn's Steam Memories No.19: North East Scrapyards, p.11 (Book Law).  

I suspect the balance pipe was square section: the LRM G5 kit supplies it that shape, and pictures of an A7 in a state of undress on pages 16, 17 and 21 in Dunn's Steam Memories No.41: Darlington Scrapyard show the pipe on the ground, with the views on p.16 and 21 being the clearest indication it was square in section, with the edges rounded slightly. 

Yes Arthurs casting is square, he mentioned checking  the length , hopefully correct, good timing as I will be priming it today , after that revision now. The usual problems with murky photos !!.

I havent seen the book you mention , I will have a look for a copy, thanks.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, micklner said:

Yes Arthurs casting is square, he mentioned checking  the length , hopefully correct, good timing as I will be priming it today , after that revision now. The usual problems with murky photos !!.

I havent seen the book you mention , I will have a look for a copy, thanks.

The scrapyard books are good for modelling detail, Mick. 

Sorry, I forgot to say, you're making a nice job of this. I've never been convinced that these LE kits capture any of the look of the real thing - the face is usually wrong, due to poor smokebox doors. But the face on yours is good - presumably this is a replacement smokebox door? Maybe have another go at the boiler/s.box handrail though? Are you aware of the trick of splitting the handrail so that you can make it in two parts (together, so that the halves are absolutely identical) and hiding the joint within the ball of the top centre handrail knob?  

All the castings are horrid.

New Smokebox door I think from Arthur, as are some of the other brass castings , a new Chimney. Bradwell Dome and large Safety valve cover. 52F steps and Lamp Irons. A Comet much modified A3 chassis, Mitsumi Motor and a HL Box , Mainly trains etched LNER A5 Brake Shoes. All the items in white plastic ,are as found when the body was paint stripped. and repaired hence the filler where needed. Whoever made them did a good job , and a scratch Brass Roof by me. This model has used up most of my spare etches!!.

Arthur has confirmed (unless anyone knows different) the A7 was only fitted with a small typical NER Vent at the front of the Roof. Every model I have seen bar one in 7mm  has the Roof with a large centre panel. I have seen two photos of the vent open, as I have fitted it onto the roof.

Balance pipes now cutdown to correct size. I will give the front handrail a few tweaks. Yes I am aware of the "cheat" method and might be using it quite soon !!.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This one put up a good fight , nearly there now .

Geo Norton J25

fullsizeoutput_34d1.jpeg.8c50f4f7fb111e5b66ba55740b138c1b.jpegfullsizeoutput_34d2.jpeg.f5e171f5be14ec901a341aaa6946200b.jpegfullsizeoutput_34d3.jpeg.cd1f621834c987a6ce99b8c4cb46e1f6.jpegfullsizeoutput_34d4.jpeg.5aeabf0387e23175638af1a8d48733da.jpegfullsizeoutput_34d7.jpeg.67f24b622d78f0386d7e602d3f2d5b45.jpegfullsizeoutput_34d5.jpeg.92b2a7b30889dd816ec1030a1a8b043f.jpeg

A lot of the kit has been replaced/or were not supplied in the kit Coal plates and Coal Shute on Tender, Sanding Rod on Loco were made from scratch. Instructions were poor in the extreme three small sheets. No tabs or any markings to assist with the fitting of parts.

52F Models

Coupling Rods , Bottom Steps, Cab Sanding Levers and Lamp Irons

Arthur K

Backhead and fittings , Clack Valves

Dave Bradwell

Tender Toolboxes , Water Filler and Brake lever.

Caley Coaches

Piano Valve Cover

The Boiler as supplied went into the Cab area about 10mm with no backhead or any fittings , Boiler was cut back level with the Cab Front . Cab parts/splashers were totally wrong and modified/added as shown in pictures, reversing and sanding levers added. Wash out plugs added the ones in the kit are wrong.

Loco Body now has the first coat of primer , chassis runs but needs more work. Tender is finished awaiting decals, coal etc.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

Please note.

To read any further updates by me,  they will be seen on the below link from today .There will be no further posts from myself on this Forum, relating to anything other than on this thread. I will however continue to read only/reply to PM's on here.

Thanks for the past replies.

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1624&start=1260

Edited by micklner
Clarification of Status.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

1 hour ago, micklner said:

Please note.

To read any further updates by me,  they will be seen on the below link from today .There will be no further posts from myself on this Forum, relating to anything. I will however continue to read only on here.

Thanks for the past replies.

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1624&start=1260

Mick,

We shall miss you; but can still follow you on the above link. For comparison with the LRM/George Norton kit, here's a photo of Arthur's J25 kit. This was the test build using pre-production etches.

Regards

Mike

P1050022.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Yes Mike,  your thread has been very helpful building the Norton version, with almost zero instructions supplied with the kit, as have the other suppliers listed earlier above ,to replace either poor castings/etchings or because none were ever supplied in the first place !! .

It is 99% finished just the chassis to get running once a new motor arrives. Photos will be on my LNER Forum link as above in due course.

Cheers Mick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, micklner said:

Please note.

There will be no further posts from myself on this Forum

Ok....

2 minutes ago, micklner said:

Yes Mike,  your thread has been very helpful building the Norton version, with almost zero instructions supplied with the kit, as have the other suppliers listed earlier above ,to replace either poor castings/etchings or because none were ever supplied in the first place !! .

It is 99% finished just the chassis to get running once a new motor arrives. Photos will be on my LNER Forum link as above in due course.

Cheers Mick.

Well that didn't last long.....:D

• Funny 1

• 10 months later...