LNER Models in 4mm

micklner

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Agreed. Though I see my attempt to save you from the D&S instructions for the NER carriage roofs has fallen on deaf ears...  ;)  

It looks like the Worsley etched replacement roof?

• Round of applause 1

1 minute ago, Bucoops said:

It looks like the Worsley etched replacement roof?

Yes the Clerestory Roof is Worsley , I requested them as I had three wrecks of D&S Clerestory Coaches to rescue/sourced via ebay without or badly damaged roofs.  The ones Worsley listed were a different width to the D&S versions. It took a year to sort it out. It appears he never reads messages properly !! . When the correct versions finally arrived, this is what you now see as above plus a couple of older D&S builds.

59 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Agreed. Though I see my attempt to save you from the D&S instructions for the NER carriage roofs has fallen on deaf ears...  ;)  

David

Pardon !!:D

The one above was built , before your comment on the LNER Forum. No way was I rebuildng at that point !!.  I now have another BK 3rd Clerestory  to do in due course. What did you use to represent the electric lighting ?.  I am presuming they would still be visible on the roof . Were they fitted in the same place as the gas lighting was, or on the Top Clerestory section please ? A photo/drawing would be much appreciatted of the Roof layout, also the underframe re Battery Boxes/Dynamo,  if you have any please ?

cheers

Mick

Edited by micklner

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, micklner said:

David

Pardon !!:D

The one above was built , before your comment on the LNER Forum. No way was I rebuildng at that point !!.  I now have another BK 3rd Clerestory  to do in due course. What did you use to represent the electric lighting ?.  I am presuming they would still be visible on the roof . Were they fitted in the same place as the gas lighting was, or on the Top Clerestory section please ? A photo/drawing would be much appreciatted of the Roof layout, also the underframe re Battery Boxes/Dynamo,  if you have any please ?

cheers

Mick

No problem, Mick! 

Drawings are non-existent I believe, and the official NERA line is that they were destroyed by BR, though someone may have some squirreled away. 

I don't know much about electric lighting and have never seen a clerestory fitted with it, or the low-roof stock for that matter. The issue for people modelling these carriages in the late-NER/early-LNER period is the gradual switch (completed in the 1920s from photographic evidence) from gas lighting to gas-mantle lighting. For us that means: only one gas tank on the underframe; no lamp "hoods" on the lower part of the roof (vents only) except the odd compartment (toilets?); and "pips" along the centre line of the clerestory part of the roof. Low-roof stock kept the "hoods" for some reason... 

Best photos are the famous Casserley one at Kirkby Stephen, and photo 62 in the new Middleton Press book on the Alnwick and Cornhill, which shows both an elliptical and a clerestory from above in 1930. 

Thanks David, I am mixing up electric and gas mantles , tad confusing at times  !! .

Where would the "pips" go ? does anyone do castings ? , are they  inline on the top roof with the previous position of the replaced lamps ?

Lastly Westinghouse or Vacumn Brake or both by then ? !!.

I dont have the books you mention.

• RMweb Premium

Mick - pips in the centre of the clerestory, in line with every door centre (brake carriages may be different). Vents should be above the RH window of every compartment when the carriage is viewed side-on (that is, diagonally opposite each other within each compartment). 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, micklner said:

David

Thanks . I have never seen the "pips " listed as a casting . Perhaps some Archer Decals  Large Rivets might do the job in due course.!.

I don't think you need castings, Mick. They're a simple shape - see the photo of my model in your thread on the LNER forum: they're just 1.2mm wire. Archers would be the wrong shape - the fittings on the real thing are not domed, but cylindrical. 

I'm surprised you don't have this book - the cover shows the ends and roofs in the 1930s: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=lner+steam+casserley&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB898GB898&sxsrf=AOaemvKrMdg-z0HqzIXclS8gH_DsGCEV9g:1639124442916&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi3q6Wx5tj0AhWxoVwKHVXmCkIQ_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=1536&bih=722&dpr=1.25#imgrc=6g-QzUvCM3oDeM

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had it since the 70s or 80s, Mick - my dad had it, and because I always had my head in it, my grandad left his copy to me in his will. There's another Bradford-Barton one with a similar cover and title (EDIT: Casserley: LNER Locomotives, Bradford Barton: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143223893006?hash=item2158cf2c0e:g:u3gAAOSwy1NaXhbh). Both have very good portraits of locos in LNER days, with the odd NER carriage gate-crashing the photos! 

Blow up the cover photo with a scanner or a smartphone magnifier and you'll get all you need to know about NER coach roofs! 

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

Here is another view of NER coaches from above that I have unearthed

https://www.facebook.com/DavidTurnerrailway/photos/a.10151096062500631/10158565687860631

Wrong period for Mick, though, and adding to the confusion already created by D&S and an earlier iteration of the NERA. The photo shows gas-lit carriages, not gas-mantle-lit ones; the switch-over to the latter was more or less finished by the Grouping, certainly by the end of the 20s, meaning that it's highly unlikely any NER clerestory would have the roof fittings as shown in this photo during the LNER period. The footboards, too, are in the earlier position; they were lowered around the same time the lighting and roofs were changed. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Nucast J21 body rebuilt and fitted with a replacement 52F chassis ,which required a lot of work to get it to fit, let alone work !!.

Tender I believe is a old etched Geo Norton Etch sourced via ebay without any chassis and poorly built. Rebuilt and detail added and a a 52F Tender Chassis fitted.

159A1E59-74C6-4CA8-8B03-2D135EDE4570_1_201_a.jpeg.68da506954a2d13defc6c8b71f61dc14.jpeg

F39B9AAD-CD1F-4EB6-80C1-9EF263E0B792_1_201_a.jpeg.e2ab6d88dd305765079fed135463f5b9.jpeg

FEAB5119-5904-4D07-92E5-72533CF2328F_1_201_a.jpeg.ad902cf5cbbcbdd06fc36a2ba171ee8c.jpeg

56F90B7A-0177-40A9-AB65-19A5F0AF7812_1_201_a.jpeg.2ca59fef3dfc01fe98826bd5930f223f.jpeg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Excellent!

Thank you.

Please may I ask about the provenance of your gas lamp tops?

There were none in the kit (no idea why). They are the nearest I could find from Wizard Models Mainly Trains GER versions, they need some fettling to the bases before use !!.