LNER Models in 4mm

micklner

I remember you saying this last week Mick. It's a trial for most of us after the ease-of-use previous RMweb but you musn't give up. huh.gif

I believe the image problem should be sorted in a day or two? In the meantime, clicking on 'Attached image' does bring up the image: and very nice they look too.smile.gif What's the source of these models Mick?

First new forum post of my current project the 3rd Class Silver Jubilee Coaches

post-7186-12560637622547_thumb.jpg

post-7186-12560637832413_thumb.jpg

post-7186-12560638005685_thumb.jpg

post-7186-12560638164744_thumb.jpg

post-7186-12560638340102_thumb.jpg

Mick

Oh well pictures dont work !!!!give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stick with it Mick, I am looking forward to being able to view these, I just got all the underframe parts for mine so I will be going on with them once I have cleared the other part finished projects on my bench.

Pictures of the interior all the parts fit from below hence the roof is already fixed in place and much easier for painting. Body is in primer at mo.

Kits are from Bleathwood Models a new supplier PM me if you would like further details.

post-7186-12561537831098_thumb.jpg

post-7186-12561537985532_thumb.jpg

post-7186-12561538242963_thumb.jpg

Sorry for minor ranting, so far I see no advantage to the new forum. I will gladly be proved wrong. Hopefully!!!!!!!

cheers

Mick

Mick, I was just having a closer look at the pictures and it looks like the skirts are fold downs from the floorpan rather than the seperate pieces on my MARC models ones is this the case?

Mike Radford has just sent me a few interior shots of these coaches if they are of any interest let me have your email address and will forward them on.

This website has some useful impressions of the outsides - http://www.elegantsteam.com/index.html

Mick, I was just having a closer look at the pictures and it looks like the skirts are fold downs from the floorpan rather than the seperate pieces on my MARC models ones is this the case?

Mike Radford has just sent me a few interior shots of these coaches if they are of any interest let me have your email address and will forward them on.

This website has some useful impressions of the outsides - http://www.elegantsteam.com/index.html

The coaches are in three sections the chassis/valance sides are pre folded. The interior and the body ( four sides and fixed roof) all screwed together for easy access if needed. I will be using MJT artic units/compensated bogie between the coaches.

The web site is good I personally think the Grey he shows for the Jubilee Coaches is much to dark. Harris describes in his LNER Coach book as colour as Lead Grey which is quite pale Silvery Grey and a Aluminium Roof. A study of pictures shows them to be much lighter than the Silver A4's Loco's valances which Precision Paint call Charcoal Grey

cheers

Mick

I can see your pics, Mick. This looks a good start. Whose are the cast bogies you've used? ABS ones have been quite hard to get hold of recently.

Hi J

Cant see them this end unless you click on them

Bogies are rigid version 247 and MJT for the artic bogie.

Just about to top coat the bodies then a bit of lining !!

Mick

The elegant steam illustrations are a bit suspect. The colour was originally pale grey Rexine often erroneously called 'silver' grey. When the Rexine began to show signs of wear, the coaches were repainted the same grey as the A4 main body colour, which was quite light in shade.

The wheels centres and bogies were A4 charcoal grey with the axle boxes in the much darker grey. The carriage letter designations were in dark blue 'gill sans' capitals.

The elegant steam illustrations are a bit suspect. The colour was originally pale grey Rexine often erroneously called 'silver' grey. When the Rexine began to show signs of wear, the coaches were repainted the same grey as the A4 main body colour, which was quite light in shade.

The wheels centres and bogies were A4 charcoal grey with the axle boxes in the much darker grey. The carriage letter designations were in dark blue 'gill sans' capitals.

I agree re Elegant Steam pictures, their Coronation pictures are very dark colours.

Can you explain why the photos I have show the bogies/valances much paler then the A4's valances? Precision sell Charcoal Grey as the A4 valance colour, hence my reasoning for painting my model underframes a paler Grey ?

Harris states the coaches were resprayed Silver after the Rexine/Corrosion problems. I am painting mine Precision A4 Silver Grey which is paler Grey than the Grey I am using for bogies/underframe .

Thanks for the info re wheels as didnt know what colour to paint them. Harris again states Black for the Axleboxes.

cheers

Mick

Mick

The Rexine was later painted as I described. I was told this by the late paintshop foreman at Doncaster in the mid 60's who had worked on the SJ stock as a younger man. I worked with Michael Harris on the otiginal Gresley Coaches book particularly on liveries and the index of running numbers, so I am not sure where he got the Silver Paint from!

I do agree that the skirts look lighter than the A4 valances in some photos, but that could be a trick of light. The whole idea was that the different greys should match throughout the train. Incidentally the A4 greys were matched (originally for Cherry) against a large scale model of Silver Link which was built at the Plant by apprentices, and painted with the same paint as the full size locos. Since it spent all its life under cover, and often in store, the colour is thought to be the nearest match now available. I am not sure where it is now, but it may be at Shildon.

Nick

Silver Fox

Thanks for the info re the underframe. Good job I have only built two so far smile.gif at least I have the paint in stock !!

Rob

I have the Fox transfers they appear to be very good covering all the coaches plus the roof boards. Does anyone know where the very small Capital letters supplied on the sheets are placed?? on the coach ends ??

Mick

Mick

The 4" Gill Sans capitals in dark blue go on the bodyside near the doors as per the elegantsteam drawing. He shows them as being chrome which is wrong! 'A' goes on the vehicle nearest London and so on...

I have had time to look at some of the other illustations and there are quite a few errors. The sooner I get my LNERR Livery manuscript to Wild Swan the better!

Mick

The 4" Gill Sans capitals in dark blue go on the bodyside near the doors as per the elegantsteam drawing. He shows them as being chrome which is wrong! 'A' goes on the vehicle nearest London and so on...

I have had time to look at some of the other illustations and there are quite a few errors. The sooner I get my LNERR Livery manuscript to Wild Swan the better!

Sorry I didnt mean the large letters side door letters. On the Fox sheet there are four each of tiny 1mm Blue letters Fox provide a set for each coach???

Underframe now in Charcoal Grey , Bodies also painted I will post some pics when dry

cheers

Mick

One Jubilee side finished using Fox Transfers for the lettering and lining both good quality. I have to contact Fox as my sheets had no 1st and 3rd class numbers?? I have used ones from their Coronation sheet which are ID the problem is that there are not enough to cover the Silver Jubilee coaches

post-7186-12570076735238_thumb.jpg

Finally got around to buying a Chivers Pigeon Van. I have added brass handrails (a bit of a pain to do) and a MJT guards ducket. At the moment I am trying to establish lettering format for LNER days it will be in Teak paint finish.

post-7186-12570078375348_thumb.jpg

Next up a couple of Hornby conversions.

This A4 took a nose dive of my layout breaking the front moulding off and splitting the roof on one side . This has been repaired but Precison Garter Blue is nothing like the same shade as Hornbys colour . I have therefore got bored with Hornby not producing a Apple Green version so this is the far as I have got with Kingfisher. I have used a spare Finecast Wills single chimney .

No doubt Hornby will do one next year hopefully a parbollic curve version !!

I already had a spare A3 Green chassis via ebay but still needed a corridor tender for her. (You also have to remove the front attachment moulding from the A4 chassis to allow the A3 chassis to fit the A4 body.)

post-7186-1257008255184_thumb.jpg

So I again won on e bay a slightly damaged A3 NRM Flying Scotsman version at a bargain price.

I have removed the safety flashes and numbers and added a front vacumn pipe and a Jackson Evans single chimney.Due to the smoke deflectors on the NRM version I also added handrails to the front of the smokebox area.

She will be Salmon Trout once new plates are fixed. Not my favourite name but this and Brown Jack are the only A3's with a Corridor Tender and a Banjo Dome as by the time they were built the A4's had taken the Corridor Tenders. Hornby have left the Corridor Tender door area in Apple Green, it looks strange does anyone know if this is the correct colour ?

post-7186-12570087512268_thumb.jpg

Mick

• Like 2

Finally got around to buying a Chivers Pigeon Van. I have added brass handrails (a bit of a pain to do) and a MJT guards ducket. At the moment I am trying to establish lettering format for LNER days it will be in Teak paint finish.

Mick

Mick I have emailed you some info that may help.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress on the Pigeon Van. The photo I have of below confirms unlined Teak livery with no rainstrip on the roof. The one on the kit is overscale anyway.

The van is similar colour both sides, Camera decided otherwise !!

post-7186-12577909987616_thumb.jpg

post-7186-1257791010496_thumb.jpg

Mick

• Like 3

Progress on the Pigeon Van. The photo I have of below confirms unlined Teak livery with no rainstrip on the roof. The one on the kit is overscale anyway.

The van is similar colour both sides, Camera decided otherwise !!

post-7186-12577909987616_thumb.jpg

post-7186-1257791010496_thumb.jpg

Mick

Nice teak finish: how did you do it? I have a couple of pigeon vans in the to-do drawer. Think I'll do one in teak and one in early BR crimson (eventually).

Precision Teak Cream undercoat.

Then add a few dots of matt black here and there on the panels. I then draw thined LNER Teak and Weathered teak across the cream in grain direction until happy with result. The matt black blends in with the other colours and adds a little further bit of variation.

The Cream undercoat must be well hardened first to avoid it lifting under the thinned top coat. Then a top coat of Satin Varnish. Started on the underframe today should be finished soon.

Mick

Hello. I'm new to this site. In fact I'm the guy behind elegantsteam.com. I have noted all the comments on my Silver Jubilee illustrations with interest. The whole idea behind the site is to give an idea to the 12000 visitors ( since starting in May 2009) to my site what Group and Pre Group railway vehicles looked like (or might have looked like). It is certainly not intended to preach to experts in the modelling field and can't be regarded as definitive, nor was it ever intended to be. Colours on a computer are, of course, notoriously "iffy" and I try to depict them to the best of my ability (aided by a couple of hundred books in my library). I do, however, calibrate my monitors weekly using a Spyder sensor so that I can be assured that the colours that I create are what I want them to be. Naturally the colour rendering on other people's computers can be vastly different. Without a calibration sensor all one can do is to ensure that the gamma is 2.2 and the colour temperature is set at 6500. Granted that is rough and ready but should suffice for most PC's. I won't even go into the colour rendering between LCDs and CRTs !

I am concerned about comments that the illustrations contain errors other than the colour question and I would ask anyone who notices errors to mail me at mail@elegantsteam.com. I really would like to catch such errors early on.

On the matter of the Coronation colours (include West Riding Ltd). I saw the West Riding Ltd on many occasions and, though I was young at the time, it made a vast impression and, in fact, started me off on the steam railway enthusiast trail. My Dad worked for the LNER so I was able to get rather closer than other lads. The lower colours were a rich shade of blue while the upper colour was definitely blue, not white as I have read in some publications. The colour used on the illustration of "Golden Fleece" should be ignored - I got that wrong. And the A1 Centenary is just as bad. As for Doncaster Green - well, what can one say. I remember wandering round the shed at Doncaster and seeing locomotives in at least 4 different shades of green.

I have registered to this site and will pop in from time to time to see what's happening. As I said, any constructive comments will be gladly received.

Regards

Don

Cadiz, Spain

Mick

Well in reply to the last poster the only comment I can see that is relevant on my thread is the "Coach ID letters should be Blue not Silver". I agree with this as do Fox transfers. As to other errors perhaps a PM to Silver Fox by the poster will confirm as to what they are ??

Re the Coronation /West Riding sets the upper bodycolour is Marlbourgh Blue and the bottom as far as I know Garter blue as the A4's. I have never seen a comment stating they had white upper panels.

Re the comments re colour shades you can argue re shades for ever as I doubt if the actual colours will ever be known exactly due to it being 80 years ago etc etc.

Mick

Actually Mick you are wrong about shades of colours. The LNER Study Group, of which I am a founder member, went to great lengths to match the colours for originally Humbrol and then Precision. The original A4 colours were matched to an authentic 1935 painted model which had been inside for most of its life, and the Coronation specs were taken again from a contemprorary model painted at Doncaster in 1937. Now admittedly there is the question of scale colour, since the the original would be too dark for a 4mm model, and sometimes looks to light even on a 7mm model, but the actuals shades are as true as one can now achieve by the paints by Phoenix Precision. Unfortunately the Humbrol shades were just as good, but have now been absent for some years - although I am still using some of them from stocks bought at the time.