Hi folks

Being new to this kind of thing I thought I would start with a brief description of the layout so far. In my imagination it is the Hull and Barnsleys last push to actually

reach Barnsley so it has some features from other parts of the H+B whilst using local locos and stock.

I have an 8x6 shed so to make best use of space, track runs from one corner to the opposite corner. At the right hand side a colliery line branches off, both lines go

through holes in the sky to a detachable shelf outside the shed, running onto a cassette.

The other end finishes at the shed wall, but will eventually go out and along the garden fence for about 30 feet. Hopefully this summer will see some progress in this

department. Don't count on it though, I've been at it for ten years and progress is glacial.   

Here are a few photos.

The bridge is half of the double span at Bullcroft junction and the station building is Pickburn  

post-24880-0-22230300-1420231061_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-54827700-1420231080_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-28690100-1420231099_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-30602000-1420231139_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-10404400-1420231166_thumb.jpg

Edited by Billy Flathead
  • Like 14

As someone with a keen interest in and a modeller of the Hull & Barnsley Railway I shall follow this topic with great interest. Sadly it's a little modelled railway which is a great pity as it was such a distinctive and fascinating railway.

Dave

I've a big interest in railways model or real around Barnsley I'll be following with interest

Glad to see another Barnsley area layout

Look forward to progress

Brian

You've some nice motive power and rolling stock they look the part for the area

And like said above some nice track work too

Brian

Thanks Jason. Love your terrace houses, wouldn't have the patience for so many though. I am thinking of a row of backs with outside privys behind the goods yard, it gets planned as I go along so time will tell.

Thanks Martin. Drab ordinariness is just what I am aiming for, steel minerals, old wooden wagons, empties in full ones out, push pull locals. For a bit of flash though a Mexborough B1 or a director would be nice. There were some out of the ordinary things in Barnsley though, see below, I have not got the hang of mixing text and photos yet. 

Track is 00, steel rail C&L chairs glued to plywood sleepers, you can see the shiny bit where the cosmetic fish plate has fallen off. 

Thanks Bri. So far I have ben able to keep it all local, O4 and  N5 are Barnsley, 1P 4F and 8F are Royston and I would love one of the Royston 2Fs.

Thanks Coachman. Yes I saw it on his web site, it does look lovely. I would need more practice first, maybe one for the future. The driving trailer is the first coach I have built. I have an underframe  for a composite to go with it and an old Kemilway Gresley steel all third in the drawer.

Cheers David        

post-24880-0-88002400-1420400359_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

It gets better Nice looking U1 what kits was that

Even keeping it local there's so much choice so looking forward to new additions

What other loco's are you fancying for the layout

Id love an 04 and N5 but in N and definatly an U1 lol

Brian

Edited by bri.s

Hi Brian.

The garrett is the DJH kit, I bought it about thirty years ago from Beatties in Sheffield because DJH  said it was a limited edition. 

As for other locos, a crab would be nice, it would have to be 42762, a C13 67434 and a WD 280. If I did another N5 it would be 67325 with full lining.

But what I would really like is an up to date, affordable kit for a coke hopper

Cheers David  

Hi Brian.

The garrett is the DJH kit, I bought it about thirty years ago from Beatties in Sheffield because DJH said it was a limited edition.

As for other locos, a crab would be nice, it would have to be 42762, a C13 67434 and a WD 280. If I did another N5 it would be 67325 with full lining.

But what I would really like is an up to date, affordable kit for a coke hopper

Cheers David

Hi David

The garret looks great ,nice work with it

I was looking through a book yesterday and remembered after seeing a picture of a C13 on a Barnsley ,penistone run and wrote them onto my list of steamers

I'll have to have a look out to see if there's a kit for one out there in N gauge can't see a ready to run one coming anytime soon

Is there a 00 kit?

there's the shenston road thread on here and on the latest page there's some pictures of a rake of the LMS coke hoppers and some of the variants

it would be nice to see a new kit available

they're the one thing on my List I've managed to get hold of which I was surprised at

when I get round to actually building them is anyone's guess though lol

Barnsley shed also had a few Q4's aswell They worked on trip workings and as shunters at local yards so I believe so wouldn't mind one of them

Brian

Edited by bri.s

I'm sure I remember someone telling me that there was a rake of the coke hoppers painted in a yellow colour that used to run through cudworth many moon ago don't know how true that is it's hard to tell there colours on black and white photos lol

Brian

Edited by bri.s

Hi Brian. Nu Cast did a kit for the C13 but they fetch good money on ebay and there is a ready to run model by OO works, again quite expensive. Might have to have a go myself.

Those Shenston Road coke hoppers look really good, I've tried bidding on some of those 3H kits but always been out bid. I've read that about the yellow hoppers too but don't know where, maybe it went to Barrow in Furness. Barrow pit had yellow coal wagons and a coke train to Barrow in Furness is mentioned in Barnsley Cudworth & Royston by David Green and Peter Rose.

Missed one off my list, an ex GC B7. Never seen a picture of one in Barnsley though.

Hi kipford. I've tried my best, but I can't get into either corner, so this taken at arms length behind my head. I don't have much light either.

Cheers David      

post-24880-0-44222600-1420842949_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Just been having a bit of a read and looking though a few books and articles on the Barnsley area and cant find a picture or reference to a B7 going through Barnsley either .

The closest ive seen is at Sheffield Vic on a passenger

They were some allocated to Gorton early on and in later life they all ended up there so its possible that they went through Barnsley on a freight they did excursion work as well so might have done an excursion through Barnsley  

Well reading up on them I found that there was a few B5's allocated to mexbough andsometimes worked as bankers on the worsbough incline

(Sorry if you already know all this )

You were on about out of the ordinary how about a S1 Wath hump shunter they were beasts as well

Brian  

Edited by bri.s

• RMweb Premium

Hi David 

Added to my list of layouts to keep an eye on. You were very brave in doing a curved scissors crossover with an offset diamond. I done a straight one and that was complicated enough.

I really like the ex PO wagons with BR patches and numbers.  

Hi Brian.   B7s would have gone through Penistone regularly so that's local enough for me. Have you got Aspects of Barnsley vol. 4. There is a picture of a yellow wooden coke wagon lettered Barrow. On the opposite page is a picture of new red Barrow wooden underframe tank wagon in 1919, which would make a lovely model though from a different time period.  

Hi Clive. The track layout is roughly Pickburn with  a few extra sidings. On the real thing single turnouts and a single slip were used but I had to compress it to keep it inside the shed. It is nice to see wagons rattle across it though.

Cheers David

Hi David

No I've not got any of that series of books , I've seen them on the book stall on the top level of the market so I'll go and have a look through and see if I can get a couple are there any ones imperticular that are worth getting ?

Looking earlier was the first time I'd seen a B7 one would look nice trundling past your station

And agreed the yellow coke wagons and red framed ones would make an interesting model , quite out if my time frame as well my next layout is set in the late 60's to mid 70's Barnsley area (sort of around stairfootish) I'll hopefully be going earlier with the era once there's more steamers come out RTR

Brian

Just been having a bit of a read and looking though a few books and articles on the Barnsley area and cant find a picture or reference to a B7 going through Barnsley either .

The closest ive seen is at Sheffield Vic on a passenger

They were some allocated to Gorton early on and in later life they all ended up there so its possible that they went through Barnsley on a freight they did excursion work as well so might have done an excursion through Barnsley  

Well reading up on them I found that there was a few B5's allocated to mexbough andsometimes worked as bankers on the worsbough incline

(Sorry if you already know all this )

You were on about out of the ordinary how about a S1 Wath hump shunter they were beasts as well

Brian

If you wanted to have a go I think I have the chimney and some bits from long ago when I fancied making one

Hi Brian

I've only got no4 and no7. No4 has a chapter on the Wincobank to Barnsley branch, no7 has nothing of railway interest except one photo of the book stand at courthouse. Fat Controller mentioned Palvans in your thread, theres a picture in no4 of a Palvan being loaded at the Izal factory. It shows a worker pumping up inflatable cushions inside to protect the fragile load. Maybe glass companies could have used this.

Hi  Engineshed.

Thanks for the offer but a C13 or B7 will be a long time in the future and I collect too many parts I never get round to using. 

Made a bit of progress on the layout. Made a bit of fencing at work and planted some plumbers hemp behind it, I will trim it back and colour it this weekend. The bridge girder is a bit of a cheat, its only detailed on one side.

Cheers David.    

post-24880-0-80354600-1421354780_thumb.jpg

Thanks David I'll see if I can get hold of vol 4 and have a look through the others

And thanks again I'll do some research on the palvan wagons and the izal factory ,I think that was at thorncliff

I don't bother modelling both sides of a bridge if it's a scenic break if no one can see it no one will know lol

On my last layout I only modelled 2 sides of a goodshed no one could have seen the other 2 so I didn't bother (but iam lazy lol )

The fence looks good and it'll look nice and overgrown behind once you've done

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I've put a  bit of colour an the grass, this was a try out as this bit will be mostly out of sight. Only another acre to go!

I will take some plastic to work to chop up for more fence panels.

Bottom picture is a new addition to the fleet. I've had it about twenty years but its been in a box with three buffers missing and no brake levers.

It's got a new Rumney Models etched chassis and had a repaint.   

post-24880-0-87255600-1422206167_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-99088400-1422206183_thumb.jpg

• Like 5