Hi David

Glad to see your layout and bench have got a new home and your getting some modelling done

Look forward to more progress once your all settled and back on track (pun intended lol)

Brian

Thanks Brian, I'm trying to finish some things and move others on a bit, but the dark nights and no electric don't help.

Hi Andy, it's an old Jidenco crab kit that I bought off ebay. It had an extra chassis etch and some other bits that I didnt need which were all relisted, in the end it cost me the price of the postage.

The tender has been painted and nearly finished for about two years, the loco should be finished some time in the next decade.

David

• 1 month later...

Still don't have electricity in the shed so I am limited in what I can do. I have started on something to fill the gap between the railway and the backscene, a row of terrace houses, stone fronted, brick behind.

I've already made an mdf plinth to build it on. The walls are mounting board with stones imbost with a duff biro and painted with acrylic paint.

post-24880-0-44006100-1546205721_thumb.jpg

David

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Only just found this thread and what a cracker. I know the area quite well and you have the stonework, especially the colouring, just right.

Very much my sort of layout. An unusual prototype and much model making! 

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for the kind comments, there's plenty of modelling because I prefer making things to operating and I'm on a very tight budget. I didn't want to go too dark with the stone work with it being in the background.

For the nets I searched rmweb to see how others had done it, from the intended viewing distance I'm very happy with them.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

It all went wrong when I tried to fold the corner of the end house. I cut a V on the back but  obviously not deep enough so it tore on the corner and across to the window. I've  patched most of it up, just call it subsidence. The doors are sticky labels on clear plastic. 

The other corner is much better and interior walls are going in. 

IMG_20190324_162530.jpg

IMG_20190324_162622.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not had much time in the shed because I have been getting my car ready for summer on the road for the first time in three years. 

I have done a bit more on the terrace houses, the roof is glued down and chimney stacks made of strip wood glued to the interior walls. I will take some card to work this week to make the stone work. 

David 

IMG_20190414_164020.jpg

• Like 6

Read through and interesting that you were looking for a way of H and B R getting to Barnsley. I started a layout when I was 40 and 22 years later still not finished. In my version the H B R pushed towards to Barnsley but only got as far as a single platform terminus at Carlton. The layout was called EngineLane. 

Read through and interesting that you were looking for a way of H and B R getting to Barnsley. I started a layout when I was 40 and 22 years later still not finished. In my version the H B R pushed towards to Barnsley but only got as far as a single platform terminus at Carlton. The layout was called EngineLane. 

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, enginelane said:

I didn't know that "Engine Lane" terminated in our village! Very appropriate if you run any of our kits on it though.

• Agree 1

C6AE726E-A564-472E-8107-1C2BEA45C843.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, enginelane said:

C6AE726E-A564-472E-8107-1C2BEA45C843.jpeg

Looking at the map there aren't any obvious ways into town, from Carlton they would have to follow the  coal railway or cross the Dearne  Valley  and enter from the north. 

From  Stairfoot they would have had to turn across the valley and follow  the GC. 

Which is why, after  about  seventeen  years I have never  settled  on a name for the  station. I did  think about  using road or street, together with maybe Worsbrough or Birdwell. 

David

• Agree 1

I have the signal box booking book for Carlton sidings and in my imaginary route it came off up near Woodmoor Colliery and bent back towards Carlton. The Midland got wind of the line and blocked its passage into Barnsley hence a rather truncated end to my layout. 

On 15/04/2019 at 17:00, Michael Edge said:

No problem getting to Carlton from there but there's quite a big hill between here and Barnsley - maybe a tunnel would be needed.

On 15/04/2019 at 17:08, enginelane said:

The layout did have a tunnel, a chemical works unloading siding and a siding to the Metal Box factory which ties in very nicely with the current exhibition in Barnsley of tinware.

Do either of you know what the works at the end of Faith Street, Monk Bretton was. I've been looking at the old maps site and it has a rail connection to the HB Stairfoot line. Where was the Metal Box factory?