Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

A quick ten minutes (well, half-an-hour actually) saw a start to the extension of the Chapel Sidings round to where they become parallel with the straight parts of the Penzance loops. That will give each siding a total length of around six feet, enough to store some of the Pentowan Branch passenger sets. I cut some 9 mm ply to the right curve to widen the baseboard by 120mm. I had to do this in two parts as I was using an offcut, so I glued the parts together with a ply fishplate and left them to dry. I also glued an extension to a fixed joist under Penzance to support the very end of the ply.

No photos yet - I'll take some when I've fixed it all in place.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've just filed up three sets of vees and blades while listening to the third day's play from Edgbaston. Time to relax with a wee one now, then at tea it will be time for bed.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I finished the Chapel Sidings extension today, including wiring them to the Yard bus.

942530028_20190804001PMChapelSidingsextension.JPG.f6916d0cd84a3d0e1bc2d51533cb6c6b.JPG

Here's the full sweep of the extension. The extended baseboard starts directly below the Penzance point control panel in this view, just to the left of the new joist sticking out.

Siding 1 is now a full 2000mm long and Siding 2 just over 1900mm.  For the Pentowan branch Saturday service, there are five B Sets plus three extra strengthening coaches. Of these, one B set and one strengthener start and finish their diagrams at Pentowan, so there has to be enough siding length to stable the rest at Porthmellyn Road. With a combined length of about 2500mm there will be plenty of room in the Chapel Sidings and still leave space for shunting and running round trains in Porthmellyn Road yard.

1027434333_20190804002PMChapelSidingsextension.JPG.b40fa5565eb5a8ea6fbe1f669b809ed2.JPG

The Hornby-Dublo buffer stops are also now installed permanently and the last job was to label the two extended sidings, so that the Penzance yardmaster doesn't mistake them for two of the Penzance loops.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I watched the video. Sadly sans sound, as Sherry was dozing after playing for the 09.30 service in church this morning. But, no matter - the running appeared excellent, everything seemed to work. No scenery yet - but how much was the event improved by having a WTT? Hugely. Each train had a time, an origin, a destination, a purpose. 

Excellent stuff, St E!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I watched the video. Sadly sans sound, as Sherry was dozing after playing for the 09.30 service in church this morning. But, no matter - the running appeared excellent, everything seemed to work. No scenery yet - but how much was the event improved by having a WTT? Hugely. Each train had a time, an origin, a destination, a purpose. 

Excellent stuff, St E!

Thanks Ian. I thought that a "day in the life"-style video would work well - it seems that it did!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I watched the video. Sadly sans sound, . . .

. . . the running appeared excellent, everything seemed to work. No scenery yet - but how much was the event improved by having a WTT? Hugely. Each train had a time, an origin, a destination, a purpose. 

Excellent stuff, St E!

Thanks for the reminder Ian. I didn’t have time when it was first posted but just spent an enjoyable 1/2 hour catching up.  With you completely about WTT, purpose, and don’t worry about the scenery.  I really like those with brilliant scenery (which I couldn’t emulate) and I really like realistic operation too (which I do aim to emulate). 

Don’t tell Clive M, but the musical accompaniment early on in the video is very much my scene.  :-)

Paul.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Thanks for the reminder Ian. I didn’t have time when it was first posted but just spent an enjoyable 1/2 hour catching up.  With you completely about WTT, purpose, and don’t worry about the scenery.  I really like those with brilliant scenery (which I couldn’t emulate) and I really like realistic operation too (which I do aim to emulate). 

Don’t tell Clive M, but the musical accompaniment early on in the video is very much my scene.  :-)

Paul.

And there is me trying to broaden peoples horizons. :rtfm:

It is good to have music you like playing in the background when modelling, helps with the relaxing mood.

As for the wideo, I did enjoy watching the trains. I must learn how to edit and put captions on.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

I forgot to turn the radio off before we started! Normally it's on all the time in the railway room - ABC Classic unless there's a Test Match, in which case ABC Grandstand - but the loss of continuity in the video would have been highly irritating. In fact, perhaps we should have made a silent movie as some folk might find the voices - one in particular - irritating too!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

This weekend was busy but enjoyable and productive.

Yesterday I hosted a BRMA National Committee meeting. With the wild weather in south-eastern Australia at the moment I was worried that some members might not make it but in the event only our President was a no-show, for reasons that were nothing to do with the weather. I'm flying solo at present, as Veronica is on holiday in Canada and the USA with some old workmates, so lunch was provided by the good folk at Coles and Woolworths. After lunch we had a good play on the layout before the chaps had to make their way home - not a formal sequence session but running trains "on request" and having a good Q&A session. I think I might have found another operator too...

Finishing off the bottle of red that we opened at lunchtime while watching the Wallabies and All Blacks was a pleasant way to round off the day.

Today I built the three points that I filed the vees and blades for last week. Only three more to build for Paddington and, as luck would have it, I found three pre-made C&L vees tucked away at the back of a shelf. A pity there weren't any blades too but we should be thankful for small mercies.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

lunch was provided by the good folk at Coles and Woolworths

Coming from the UK, I might have wondered what sort of a diet you were offering from Woolworths!   Having shopped in Woolworths opposite the Queen Victoria Building I realise that it is not necessarily so off beat.  :-)

Paul.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Coming from the UK, I might have wondered what sort of a diet you were offering from Woolworths!   Having shopped in Woolworths opposite the Queen Victoria Building I realise that it is not necessarily so off beat.  :-)

Paul.

Oh, you're taking me back Paul.

"A quarter of pic 'n' mix please".

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Old pennies were still called pence. 

Indeed.

But pronounced very differently: tuppence versus two pence.  Mind you, the lack of a space in the 11pence could be taken as significant.

Paul.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Indeed.

But pronounced very differently: tuppence versus two pence.  Mind you, the lack of a space in the 11pence could be taken as significant.

Paul.

It might have been different in Co Durham...

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Pennies were pence in my day...and the 1 shilling bit was the important bit. Elsewhere the kits were 2 shillings..one of those nice coins of the realm.

That's true. I used to get them either from Woolworth's (5BarVT please note - the other one) in Mill Hill or from Zodiac Models in North Finchley. They were definitely two bob each, not 1/11.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

On 12/08/2019 at 11:29, St Enodoc said:

That's true. I used to get them either from Woolworth's (5BarVT please note - the other one) in Mill Hill or from Zodiac Models in North Finchley. They were definitely two bob each, not 1/11.

When I first began building Airfix kits the series one (in plastic bags with card stapled over the top) were 1/- 6d. My pocket money then was 6d each Saturday. Waiting 3 weeks to save up for a Sherman or the Golden Hind was sheer agony.

• Friendly/supportive 1