Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

Sounds like a good weekend.  I'm guessing the garden / P4 / etc layouts were at-home varieties, so you all made the trips between various houses in the area?

That right Stu. The usual arrangement is for a few local members to open their layouts for visiting and we all troop round the circuit during the morning, finishing up with lunch before everyone goes their different ways. Sometimes, although not this year, we have one or two portable layouts set up at the Convention itself and also sometimes we have two or three people's layouts set up at one member's house, although again not this year.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Another weekend away, this time in the Land of the Long White Cloud, which certainly lived up to its name (although to be honest the cloud was grey rather than white). We went to stay with my old friend and colleague hongkongmike of this parish and his wife at their new home a couple of hours north of Auckland. Now that the house is finished, he is turning his attention to his dream retirement project, Ferryhill MPD in 00 gauge and set in the early 1960s. As an Aberdonian he has strong connections with the depot from that time and is building it to scale size with a double track main line round the rest of the room. I look forward to seeing it in operation next time we visit.

• Like 6

Be glad you weren't flying into Wellington, although I think it's been bad up and down the country.

Always exciting to hear of more NZ based layouts - Do you know if he will be starting a thread on here?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Be glad you weren't flying into Wellington, although I think it's been bad up and down the country.

Always exciting to hear of more NZ based layouts - Do you know if he will be starting a thread on here?

He's not very active on RMweb but you never know.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Thought of you last night as I had a pint of Harviestown Bitter and twisted in the Sheeps Heid...

Baz

Sunday lunch was here:

https://www.sawmillbrewery.co.nz/

As I wasn't driving, I decided to try a Tasting Tray of five draught beers, all brewed on the premises and all excellent.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I see why you had a tasting tray.. what is with this need to brew very strong beers???

Looks interesting though. We stayed near the beer cooperative last time we visited Aukland. 

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Barry O said:

I see why you had a tasting tray.. what is with this need to brew very strong beers???

Looks interesting though. We stayed near the beer cooperative last time we visited Aukland. 

Baz

Ducking for cover, I'd say that it's because when they're served freezing cold they need to be strong to have any flavour at all.

Several years ago my boss told me there was an Australian-British Chamber of Commerce meeting that evening. He had another engagement so would I like to go instead. I hummed and hawed until he mentioned that it was at the James Squire brewery - "Oh, all right then". Chatting to the head brewer after the tour, I said that the beers were very good but would be even better if they were served at room temperature. He agreed, but said that if he did that he would never sell any in Australia.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I once managed to get a farmer and his son to try the very nice beer in a bar in Melbourne once it had warmed up.

Christ..that tastes lovely he commented on 

It was under the Ovolo apartments just close to China Town.

Excellent Haggis, neaps and Tatties as a starter tonight..but no malt to go with them..

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Barry O said:

I once managed to get a farmer and his son to try the very nice beer in a bar in Melbourne once it had warmed up.

Christ..that tastes lovely he commented on 

It was under the Ovolo apartments just close to China Town.

Excellent Haggis, neaps and Tatties as a starter tonight..but no malt to go with them..

Baz

On our way to our host's home on Saturday, we stopped at the New World supermarket at Warkworth which is the only place he knows north of Auckland that sells English beer. We helped him to replenish his stocks of bottled Old Peculier, Spitfire, Landlord, Boltmaker and Hobgoblin.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Back to work on the layout today. The first job was to fit some floating plastic timbers and also some functional copperclad ones to maintain the gauge where otherwise unsupported lengths of rail could wiggle around a bit. Then I fitted the operating wire loops to the tiebars, followed by the nine point motors. Finally for today I screwed a chocolate-block connector underneath the baseboard close to each of the point motors, making sure I left enough room for droppers and feeders. That was a good convenient point to stop, so I did.

No photos as there's nothing to see that hasn't been seen before.

During tonight's rugby I will make up some more droppers ready to start wiring next weekend, when the sequence will be:

- connect the point motors to the accessory bus, program them and test them with a throttle.

- install the droppers and track feeders.

- connect the frogs to the point motors.

- test the points and new track with a loco and some stock.

- program the Mini Panel and the additional command station macro

- test the routes from the Mini Panel.

I doubt that I'll get that all done in a single session but we'll see how we go.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Back to work on the layout today. The first job was to fit some floating plastic timbers and also some functional copperclad ones to maintain the gauge where otherwise unsupported lengths of rail could wiggle around a bit. Then I fitted the operating wire loops to the tiebars, followed by the nine point motors. Finally for today I screwed a chocolate-block connector underneath the baseboard close to each of the point motors, making sure I left enough room for droppers and feeders. That was a good convenient point to stop, so I did.

No photos as there's nothing to see that hasn't been seen before.

During tonight's rugby I will make up some more droppers ready to start wiring next weekend, when the sequence will be:

- connect the point motors to the accessory bus, program them and test them with a throttle.

- install the droppers and track feeders.

- connect the frogs to the point motors.

- test the points and new track with a loco and some stock.

- program the Mini Panel and the additional command station macro

- test the routes from the Mini Panel.

I doubt that I'll get that all done in a single session but we'll see how we go.

I am nearly as organised.

I walk in to the play room and think what needs doing then decide I would like a model of so and so and commence building it or just run trains. It has been known for me to actually do what I plan to do. It is a hobby after all.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Last night I went into the Train Set room to wire up the remaining signals. Well I ran various Bachy and Heljan 47s on the front of a couple of my unfinished cut and shut trains. While they were whizzing around I converted two Lima class 117 DMBSs into DMSs and a center coach into a TC suitable for a class 116. The plan is to make one 3car set into a class 116 and the other into a class 118.

100_5894a.jpg.d306a9816a8dbeb9d4df3db17d17b446.jpg

The Driving Motor Second of the future class 118. I am going to build up the headcode box as the Lima model is slightly too small. See Sheff Ex for more photos.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
missing n
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Wishlist poll votes submitted.

I've gone for the usual suspects - Toplights, Insixfish van, gas turbines, Swindon cross-country DMU and a few others.

Seems like pretty much the same votes as last year except for the Hornby Big Prairie.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Wishlist poll votes submitted.

I've gone for the usual suspects - Toplights, Insixfish van, gas turbines, Swindon cross-country DMU and a few others.

Seems like pretty much the same votes as last year except for the Hornby Big Prairie.

Funny that, I found myself requesting the same things as last year, too.   Still the same gaps in my project...

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1