Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Can we see a track plan?  I'm excited on your behalf, but I can't visualise the whole scheme you're building and how it fits in the garage.

Thanks Doc. There's a block plan on page 2:

...and an occasional photo of the scale project plan updated as the layout progresses. Here's the most recent, which is up-to-date except for the extended Chapel Sidings at Porthmellyn Road:

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

...one of these Rails/Heljan models will appear west of Plymouth in due course.

Deposit for the black/silver version paid. Deducting VAT (even if I have to add Australian GST, which I'm not sure whether Rails are subject to) makes the total price slightly less eye-watering.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Deposit for the black/silver version paid. Deducting VAT (even if I have to add Australian GST, which I'm not sure whether Rails are subject to) makes the total price slightly less eye-watering.

I was mighty tempted, but it’s just a bit too pricy for me.   I think if I was to be spending that sort of cash a Bachmann crane would be coming this way.   I live in hope the arrival of a new Rtr model will result in cheap unbuilt kits hitting the market...

Glad to heat the reason for the lack of updates recently is rugby, what with all of these fires in the news you had me worried.  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, The Fatadder said:

I was mighty tempted, but it’s just a bit too pricy for me.   I think if I was to be spending that sort of cash a Bachmann crane would be coming this way.   I live in hope the arrival of a new Rtr model will result in cheap unbuilt kits hitting the market...

Glad to heat the reason for the lack of updates recently is rugby, what with all of these fires in the news you had me worried.  

Thanks Rich. I've got a crane on order too - a red one, one of which we had at Brighton when I was Depot Manager there in the 1980s.

On Tuesday the whole Sydney area and surrounds had the highest fire danger rating of "Catastrophic" applied for the first time ever but fortunately there were no fires where we are. The nearest was about 10 km away - you might have seen some pictures on the news after the B737 tanker dumped a load of red fire retardant over everything - cars, houses, the lot. Apparently it's red so that the crews can see where it's landed.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

On Tuesday the whole Sydney area and surrounds had the highest fire danger rating of "Catastrophic" applied for the first time ever but fortunately there were no fires where we are. The nearest was about 10 km away - you might have seen some pictures on the news after the B737 tanker dumped a load of red fire retardant over everything - cars, houses, the lot. Apparently it's red so that the crews can see where it's landed.

We’re been thinking about you folks out there. Not forgetting the recent hurricane damage in Florida. There is bad flooding in parts of the UK as well. Makes you think a bit. When Mother Nature gets angry...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Today's session was shorter than planned but still long enough to do a job that has been hanging around like a bad smell for far too long.

A few weeks ago I printed all the new white-on-black set numbers for the stock in use on the initial sequence and today I finally got round to cutting them to size and attaching them to the end vehicles of each set (in some cases of course a set consists of only a single vehicle). The set numbers go on the ends, on the side nearer to the operators, and as high/close to the outside of the vehicle as is practicable.

That has let me remove the temporary Post-It set numbers from the vehicle roofs, which, although easy to see, were rather unsightly. The new ones are of course completely inauthentic but they are not (to my eyes) too obtrusive and are important in the operating context.

20191117002oldsetnumbersremoved.JPG.494b779f913671f6159f937a559453b0.JPG

Here are a few sets with the old numbers removed...

20191117001newsetnumbersapplied.JPG.87bf4d9baf712d23119ec1710ebf1104.JPG

...and here are the new set numbers. Set 997 on the right was the original test vehicle using Modelmaster (not very good) and then Pressfix (much better) transfers but doing those took nearly an hour, whereas the printed labels, excluding printing, took less than five minutes per set to cut to size and attach.

Downsides: they are glossy rather than matt and they are not an authentic typeface but the convenience outweighs both of those factors as far as I am concerned.

Before anyone asks, all the trains will have tail lamps in due course. At the moment the only vehicles that do are Bachmann Mk 1s, where I have fitted the gangway shields that are supplied with ready-fitted tail lamps.

Next running session is on 30/11/19. It will be fun to see who is the first (and last) to notice this change.

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
On 14/11/2019 at 12:07, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Rich. I've got a crane on order too - a red one, one of which we had at Brighton when I was Depot Manager there in the 1980s.

That’ll be this crane then

https://zenfolio.page.link/uFjs7

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

My Q kits Class 50s will pull a house down.. unfortunately Mike Cole got the dimensions all wrong they are HO in height and OO in length.

St Enodoc and I knew Mike whilst members of Leeds MRS

baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

My Q kits Class 50s will pull a house down.. unfortunately Mike Cole got the dimensions all wrong they are HO in height and OO in length.

St Enodoc and I knew Mike whilst members of Leeds MRS

baz

Hi Baz

Your friend Mike Cole has a lot to answer for, as a teenager his articles on scratchbuilding diesels were extremely inspirational. He was building models of the trains I saw when standing on the end of a platform  with my note book and pen, no one else was they were too busy mourning the end of steam. When I started to model as an adult and was told "No one will make a model of that class of diesel".* I remembered his articles and thought it can't be that hard, if Mike Cole can make them in brass I am sure I can in plastic.

*Of course back in the 80s we hadn't heard of Heljan.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, acg5324 said:

That’ll be this crane then

https://zenfolio.page.link/uFjs7

That's the one Andy.

I think you're a little off with your dates though. The Brighton crane was replaced by a diesel conversion in about 1985/6. Perhaps your photo was taken at the open day on 16/7/83 (the day 7383/7384 set the then record from London Bridge to Brighton at 41 min 33 sec)?

Edited by St Enodoc
Wrong unit numbers I think.
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/11/2019 at 00:23, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Baz

Your friend Mike Cole has a lot to answer for, as a teenager his articles on scratchbuilding diesels were extremely inspirational. He was building models of the trains I saw when standing on the end of a platform  with my note book and pen, no one else was they were too busy mourning the end of steam. When I started to model as an adult and was told "No one will make a model of that class of diesel".* I remembered his articles and thought it can't be that hard, if Mike Cole can make them in brass I am sure I can in plastic.

*Of course back in the 80s we hadn't heard of Heljan.

Was he the Sundown & Sprawling man? 

• Agree 1