Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

I've ordered from Kernow (on Veronica's behalf, as it will be a Christmas present) a Hornby "Earl of St Germans", at over 40% off. That will become a new 5058 Earl of Clancarty replacing my detailed tender-drive Airfix model, which is suffering from the passage of time (nearly 40 years). In turn, the loco chassis from that will go under 4099 Kilgerran Castle (also Airfix but slightly younger) as 4099's original driving wheels refuse to go round any more, which does make it look rather odd when it's going along.

Don't mention it too loudly but the Hornby loco has TTS sound. I'll need to find a way to disable that.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I've ordered from Kernow (on Veronica's behalf, as it will be a Christmas present) a Hornby "Earl of St Germans", at over 40% off. That will become a new 5058 Earl of Clancarty ....

Don’t tempt me John!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I've ordered from Kernow (on Veronica's behalf, as it will be a Christmas present) a Hornby "Earl of St Germans", at over 40% off. That will become a new 5058 Earl of Clancarty replacing my detailed tender-drive Airfix model, which is suffering from the passage of time (nearly 40 years). In turn, the loco chassis from that will go under 4099 Kilgerran Castle (also Airfix but slightly younger) as 4099's original driving wheels refuse to go round any more, which does make it look rather odd when it's going along.

Don't mention it too loudly but the Hornby loco has TTS sound. I'll need to find a way to disable that.

Hi UDJ

As a engineer I am sure you will find away of disabling the TTS a wee bit more sophisticated than cutting the wires and throwing the chip in the bin. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi UDJ

As a engineer I am sure you will find away of disabling the TTS a wee bit more sophisticated than cutting the wires and throwing the chip in the bin. 

Cutting the wires is an option as long as removing the speaker load doesn't cause problems. I probably won't throw the chip in the bin as if I did I'd have to buy another.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

One of my modified Lima Siphon G's had some slight damage to the roof paint where I had messed up the painting and the sprayed maroon was showing through a chip in the grey roof. I'd hidden it with the Post-It note set number but since removing those last weekend of course it was exposed to view, so yesterday I repainted the whole roof, using Railmatch 313 pale grey roof paint. Unfortunately this dried glossy instead of dull, so today I brushed a coat of Humbrol Mattcote on. Guess what - that's dried glossy too.

I'll have a mooch around one or two hobby shops this week but in the meantime I thought I'd ask what brushing matt varnish other folk use. Ideally not a Phoenix or Railmatch variety, as these are completely unobtainable in Australia, but we can get Humbrol and most of the American and Japanese brands.

I could spray the roof but can't be bothered to mask the rest of the body up.

What do you suggest?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Sometime back I was getting really fed up with Humbrol Matt varnish drying glossy, so I sent a can back to Humbrol with a moaning letter. Very nice lab technician came back, with a sample done from my can, done flat finish. She says the secret is to do a very thorough stir, and then stir for some more. The flatness comes from the little particles in the sludge, and they must be evenly in suspension to succeed.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Sometime back I was getting really fed up with Humbrol Matt varnish drying glossy, so I sent a can back to Humbrol with a moaning letter. Very nice lab technician came back, with a sample done from my can, done flat finish. She says the secret is to do a very thorough stir, and then stir for some more. The flatness comes from the little particles in the sludge, and they must be evenly in suspension to succeed.

That is a very polite way of saying " It's your own fault matey".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Northroader said:

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

...and Clive knows all about stirring... ;)

• Agree 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

But at least it had a positive suggestion with it.

:-)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

One of my modified Lima Siphon G's had some slight damage to the roof paint where I had messed up the painting and the sprayed maroon was showing through a chip in the grey roof. I'd hidden it with the Post-It note set number but since removing those last weekend of course it was exposed to view, so yesterday I repainted the whole roof, using Railmatch 313 pale grey roof paint. Unfortunately this dried glossy instead of dull, so today I brushed a coat of Humbrol Mattcote on. Guess what - that's dried glossy too.

I'll have a mooch around one or two hobby shops this week but in the meantime I thought I'd ask what brushing matt varnish other folk use. Ideally not a Phoenix or Railmatch variety, as these are completely unobtainable in Australia, but we can get Humbrol and most of the American and Japanese brands.

What do you suggest?

Simple. Ronseal. As used by Ian Rathbone, the late Guy Williams and many more. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

What do you suggest?

Not really answering the question but....

I use Vallejo grey black for coach roofs, which I have found once set doesn’t need varnishing.   Might be worth a try though no idea if it’s available in Australia, but it’s acrylic so shouldn’t be any issue posting. 

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, DougN said:

I have had great success with the tamiya spray packs. So this might be a good option. 

Thanks Doug. When I'm in the mood to spray I use Testor's Dullcote or, for larger areas, Wattyl Polyurethane Matt. This is about when I don't want the palaver of masking up or going outside and just want a five-minute brush job 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ashley Bridge said:

I found this out too, you need to really stir all the sludge up from the bottom of the tin. That’s the good bit, unlike red wine or port.

Rich

I agree (this is a clear jar not a tin though). However, yesterday there was not much sludge to stir. Perhaps the jar was too old.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I use Vallejo grey black for coach roofs, which I have found once set doesn’t need varnishing.   Might be worth a try though no idea if it’s available in Australia, but it’s acrylic so shouldn’t be any issue posting. 

Thanks Rich. I use various colours to give a bit of variation. In this case I wanted a pale grey to match, more or less, the grey primer underneath With the time it's taken I'd have been quicker masking up and spraying more primer on the roof.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Denbridge said:

Simple. Ronseal. As used by Ian Rathbone, the late Guy Williams and many more. 

6 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Can't find any Ronseal products listed as available in Australia. I know I can get Vallejo, Testors, Tamiya and MIG (matt and ultra matt) varnish/lacquer. Any recommendations, positive or negative?

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Can't find any Ronseal products listed as available in Australia. I know I can get Vallejo, Testors, Tamiya and MIG (matt and ultra matt) varnish/lacquer. Any recommendations, positive or negative?

Ronseal is a decorating product, rather than a modelling one. I buy it from my local DIY store.

• Agree 1

Denbridge, I have had a quick look Ronseal products are generally not available here in Aus. This is one of the many issues that turns up with hardware in the UK VS Australia. One item which I have read many times is in the UK you would never use MDF (medium density fibre board), however we have a very good MDF here in Australia which is a higher density and works very well for layouts.  we for instance don't get Sundela but a long time ago we could access Caneite which was similar but most people wouldn't touch with a barge pole as it was compressed sugarcane waste, good for pin boards but not much else! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, DougN said:

Denbridge, I have had a quick look Ronseal products are generally not available here in Aus. This is one of the many issues that turns up with hardware in the UK VS Australia. One item which I have read many times is in the UK you would never use MDF (medium density fibre board), however we have a very good MDF here in Australia which is a higher density and works very well for layouts.  we for instance don't get Sundela but a long time ago we could access Caneite which was similar but most people wouldn't touch with a barge pole as it was compressed sugarcane waste, good for pin boards but not much else! 

That's a shame. Perhaps an equivalent DIY product would work. Ever since this tip, I've never used any modelling varnished. And, unlike those,  ronseal is always consistent.

• RMweb Premium

I use Humbrol’s mattcote to good effect, but it does need a bl**dy good stir as it is the sludgy stuff at the bottom of the jar that turns the varnish matt.

Satincote is the same, it just has less sludge...

• Agree 1