Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Zoomers aka lemons are bl@@dy awful..bogies are carp, seats are even worse and catering facilities are very poor.... feel sorry for the poor on train catering staff..

Baz

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

And look for where the grunt is underneath and sit well away from it.

Paul.

Hi Paul 

I am a little confused, a grunt is a gun number (crew member) in the Royal Artillery. So named after the noise they make when pushing a filed gun.  Do they have grunts under the Azoooomeeerrrs to make them move? It does sound like suitable employment for them. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul 

I am a little confused, a grunt is a gun number (crew member) in the Royal Artillery. So named after the noise they make when pushing a filed gun.  Do they have grunts under the Azoooomeeerrrs to make them move? It does sound like suitable employment for them. 

Clive

I thought a grunt is any type of infantry or non tank bound Army person.....

In reality the zoomers dont zoom.. it is better described as lurching at speed.....

Baz

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Clive

I thought a grunt is any type of infantry or non tank bound Army person.....

In reality the zoomers dont zoom.. it is better described as lurching at speed.....

Baz

Hi Baz

With the gunners the gun crew were non-tradesmen so were looked down by the drivers, signallers, and TARAs (technical assistant Royal Artillery) but to us REME they were all planks.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Baz

With the gunners the gun crew were non-tradesmen so were looked down by the drivers, signallers, and TARAs (technical assistant Royal Artillery) but to us REME they were all planks.

Planks, TARAs, grunts- who cares? They're all pongoes anyway.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Planks, TARAs, grunts- who cares? They're all pongoes anyway.

I got called a pongo by a young matelot medic when I had to attended the Navy hospital in Plymouth. I asked him when was the last time he had been on board a ship, he hadn't. I was with 17 Port and Maritime Workshops and had been on a jolly on the RFA Sir Lancelot a few weeks before. :dancing:  

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I got called a pongo by a young matelot medic when I had to addend the Navy hospital in Plymouth. I asked him when was the last time he had been on board a ship, he hadn't. I was with 17 Port and Maritime Workshops and had been on a jolly on the RFA Sir Lancelot a few weeks before. :dancing:  

Sir Prancelot?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Sir_Prancelot

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Hi UDJ

Are you inhaling too many eucalyptus fumes from them bush fires?

Seriously are you and Veronica safe? 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi UDJ

Are you inhaling too many eucalyptus fumes from them bush fires?

Seriously are you and Veronica safe? 

Well, we're inhaling a fair bit of smoke on some days but so far nothing worse for us. I think I've been overdosing on levity pills to compensate for having to go back to work this week.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

In Australia a 'Grunt' is an infantryman.  I served in the Royal Australia Artillery in Vietnam - the worst we were called was 'Drop-shorts'!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, KymN said:

In Australia a 'Grunt' is an infantryman.  I served in the Royal Australia Artillery in Vietnam - the worst we were called was 'Drop-shorts'!

Thanks Kym. Hope you are all safe.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KymN said:

same in the UK especially for tank crews.. when asked why the response was "Cos they go GRUNT when you run over them"...

Baz

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Barry O said:

same in the UK especially for tank crews.. when asked why the response was "Cos they go GRUNT when you run over them"...

Baz

Why would tanks run over their own crews ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/01/2020 at 22:07, St Enodoc said:

Roster duly copied although for some reason I appeared to end up with two different versions in two different places on my hard drive. Once I'd fixed that I chipped and programmed 1021, which is an out-of-the-box Hornby R2211 (1020 County of Monmouth). I'll fit a DG coupling to the tender, and the name/numberplates, but more detailing can wait until another time.

1021 County of Montgomery is now right for work, although as it doesn't appear until the 1400 Penzance - Crewe Parcels on Saturday afternoon it won't be needed for a couple of running sessions yet.

It's nice to be getting a few long-standing odd jobs out of the way at last.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Another long-standing job that, once I'd found the bits to do it, only took about ten minutes was to get three coaches ready for service in set 531.

Let me explain.

Set 531 is a three-coach non-corridor set that forms the 0510 Truro - Plymouth stopper and 1410 return on Saturdays. In the fullness of time, it will be formed by a couple of BSL E147 BCs sandwiching an Airfix/Comet C63 S. It will be a good while before these are built so I decided some time ago to run a temporary formation using Bachmann BR Mk 1 suburbans formed BS - C - BS. The trouble was, I had mislaid these so hadn't done anything about it. This afternoon I remembered that they had gone into the box of stuff that I intend to sell off one day so I extracted them, brought them indoors and fitted a DG coupling at the brake end of each BS using the existing Bachmann coupling fixing hole and screw. Job done! The fact that the two brakes have the same number and the composite has the same number as the one that forms set 760 won't matter in the short term.

The upshot of this is that trains 508 and 599 will now be able to run rather than being cancelled, to the undoubted relief of passengers for intermediate stations on the main line.

Edited by St Enodoc
typo
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 10/01/2020 at 21:36, KymN said:

Kym, remember Long Tan.One of your majors who served in Korea,had an inkling and ordered up twice the number of rounds the night before and the grunts applauded later on .

Dropshirts indeed!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 13/01/2020 at 08:37, Chamby said:

A rail strike threatens on the mid-Cornwall lines about overtime? 

Now that’s a level of modelling detail I’d not thought of...

(Voice over)

And here, we have a platform full of passengers, but no trains moving...

Special effects : extra buses and taxis.