Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2020 at 08:37, Chamby said:

A rail strike threatens on the mid-Cornwall lines about overtime? 

Now that’s a level of modelling detail I’d not thought of...

It was not unknown for there to be a strike on the original Pig Lane when there was a quiet moment at an exhibition.  I made a ASLEF and NUR strike sign and would place it on the layout in the staff car park. My mates and I would then sit down and not drive the locos. There would always be a scab who would get up and move something because a punter ventured near the layout.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It was not unknown for there to be a strike on the original Pig Lane when there was a quiet moment at an exhibition.  I made a ASLEF and NUR strike sign and would place it on the layout in the staff car park. My mates and I would then sit down and not drive the locos. There would always be a scab who would get up and move something because a punter ventured near the layout.

I hope this sort of behaviour is not prevalent when Pig Lane makes it's long trip to Taunton... Pasties may need to be withheld...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

On 14/01/2020 at 08:08, chesterfield said:

Dropshirts indeed!

The term was 'Drop-shorts' .  We did better than just the shirt!  :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

I am delighted to report that the first meeting of the Leeds MRS Eating and Drinking Section Australasia Branch for 2020 is now in session, following the arrival of Mr & Mrs Barry O in Sydney this evening. They will be here for a few days before continuing their Antipodean peregrinations next week.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Subtle literacy in the Unions. Scabs and Pickits (never pick a Scab?) and as for Drop Shirts/Shorts.....I think we could be on thin ice with that sort of comment?

21 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have long since lost the sign...…..as have most of the others that used to have the ba11s to stand up for the rights of the workers.      I often wondered what Union Thatchers would have been in and if they were continually trying to destroy themselves? 

Ian Dustrialdispute

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, as chesterfield and Baz have hinted, we had a very good running session this afternoon. 11 operators showed up altogether so we were able to roster two people at both Paddington and Penzance as planned. The expanded sequence ran pretty well and we actually got through 45 trains in two hours before we stopped for tea.

Did everything go according to plan? Of course not!

We had a few relatively minor problems:

- two drivers found that they were both supposed to be driving train 6

- as chesterfield mentioned, a rough shunt caused a DG coupler mount to fall off a Ratio wagon. That has now been fixed.

- Somehow I'd got two trains starting from the same place. This is a bit of a mystery as the Post-It notes should have shown this up. I think I must have transcribed something wrongly. Fortunately this was fairly near the beginning of the sequence so it won't be too hard to go through it again to check - I hope!

- one loco failed so had to be replaced by a spare.

Given the scope and scale of the changes I'm quite pleased that this was all we found.

An interesting aspect was that the increased overall number of trains, with the consequent remarshalling, and the increased number of trains between each of the china-clay workings, gave the whole operation a far more relaxed pace.

Everyone seemed very enthusiastic about the changes so we will pick up from where we left off at our next session in March and see how we get on with the next batch of trains.

• Like 14

19 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, as chesterfield and Baz have hinted, we had a very good running session this afternoon. 11 operators showed up altogether so we were able to roster two people at both Paddington and Penzance as planned. The expanded sequence ran pretty well and we actually got through 45 trains in two hours before we stopped for tea.

- as chesterfield mentioned, a rough shunt caused a DG coupler mount to fall off a Ratio wagon. That has now been fixed.

- Somehow I'd got two trains starting from the same place. This is a bit of a mystery as the Post-It notes should have shown this up. I think I must have transcribed something wrongly. Fortunately this was fairly near the beginning of the sequence so it won't be too hard to go through it again to check - I hope!

Given the scope and scale of the changes I'm quite pleased that this was all we found.

An interesting aspect was that the increased overall number of trains, with the consequent remarshalling, and the increased number of trains between each of the china-clay workings, gave the whole operation a far more relaxed pace.

Everyone seemed very enthusiastic about the changes so we will pick up from where we left off at our next session in March and see how we get on with the next batch of trains.

I have to admit, I was a bit muddled at the beginning, but by the end of it, I got the jist of it. 

I should be there in March, depending on if I’m working on or not. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I had a quick look at the "two trains in one place" problem tonight and it was indeed a simple transcription error (I'd entered train 42's starting position in the spreadsheet as PD 2 R instead of PD 6 L as shown on the track occupation planning sheet), so that was fixed easily. However, following this through the sequence sheet has made me think that in condensing the comments on the spreadsheet to make things simpler I have in fact gone too far, making it more difficult than necessary for whoever is at the terminating location for each train to work out how to dispose of it. I'll do more work on this for next time.

I also fixed the "two drivers for train 6" problem but in doing so found "train 135 with no driver". This hadn't shown up as the two errors cancelled each other out when cross-checking the total number of trains. I fixed this too, so I think that all yesterday's problems have now been solved.

There will, without doubt, be more...

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 16/01/2020 at 23:07, St Enodoc said:

I am delighted to report that the first meeting of the Leeds MRS Eating and Drinking Section Australasia Branch for 2020 is now in session, following the arrival of Mr & Mrs Barry O in Sydney this evening. They will be here for a few days before continuing their Antipodean peregrinations next week.

The first LMRSE&DSAB meeting has now finished and yesterday the Os flew off to the Wild West. After visiting the land of bent bananas and the Shaky Isles they will be back in the Emerald City in a few weeks' time, when the second meeting will be convened.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 18/01/2020 at 23:42, St Enodoc said:

Mia Culpa too enthusiastic with throttle

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday was the first day of the Chinese New Year and we celebrated with some traditional Singaporean food cooked by Veronica from her mother's recipes. Last night was also Burns' Night, so I toasted the Immortal Memory with a glass of Highland Park, for no better reason that it was at the front of the shelf and easily accessible.

Today is Australia Day, and for those who are not so familiar with life in this wide brown land I can do no better than refer you to Richard Glover's article in yesterday's Sydney Morning Herald (other newspapers are available...):

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/bunnings-snags-and-the-meaning-of-girt-42-ways-to-tell-if-you-re-australian-20200121-p53tam.html

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I fear I may be turning intoan Australian...heaven forbid....:jester:

Baz

Actually, I am not turning into an Australian, old chap.  But I understood most of the article, which is a little worrying...

• Friendly/supportive 2