Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
On 01/03/2020 at 18:11, St Enodoc said:

Off to Melbourne tomorrow for just one night, as on Tuesday the LMRSE&DSAB reconvenes with the arrival of Mr & Mrs Barry O from New Zealand for a few nights before they head back north and home. As you might expect, Tuesday's weather forecast is for rain...

Baz and H duly arrived from Wellington earlier. From landing to appearing through Customs took them as long as my flight home from Melbourne.

Oh, and it is raining...

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

It must be Oz. We have had very little rain in NZ..the only bit we had was caused by some other Unight friends arriving in NZ.

As St Endoc said we landed late then the baggage handlers took over an hour to get the bags to the carousel. Immigration and customs were a breeze.

Rain will stop soon!!

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

When it rains here..oh boy does it rain! Remember these guys have had no rain for yonks. All the grass has gone back to green

The Kiwis in North Island need rain...none fell while I was there...so it may be another visitor...

Baz

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, RodneyV said:

I think we should encourage Barry O to holiday in the more parched parts of Australia.

And New Zealand ...:dirol_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I have never met Barry O.

I have rainwater tanks on my property that are now full (20,000 litres and no I cannot do the conversion) plus my layout is fully ballasted.

Before committing to any cost to bring him back to Australia I need to know if there is something else he can do besides bring rain and ballast.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Bogie said:

I have never met Barry O.

I have rainwater tanks on my property that are now full (20,000 litres and no I cannot do the conversion) plus my layout is fully ballasted.

Before committing to any cost to bring him back to Australia I need to know if there is something else he can do besides bring rain and ballast.

Hi Bogie

We have been wondering that here in the UK for a very long time.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

An excellent weekend at the Forestville show. I divided my time between Charles' Uley Junction layout, which ran very well as always, and the BRMA demo stand, where I managed to build three points for the future Polperran fiddle yard. That might not sound like much of an achievement in eight hours of modelling but I deliberately built each one individually from the template up, rather than my usual way of pre-preparing batches of timbers, crossings and switches. Naturally, some of the time went in being pleasantly interrupted for a yarn by old friends, some of whom I hadn't seen since last year's show. I also spent a good deal of time explaining what I was doing to young and old - the youngest being some children of primary school age who were quite fascinated by the process of soldering, which I showed them on some scrap rail and copperclad.

I was joined at various times at the demo table by Graeme from Queensland, who was detailing and titivating some Slaters and Dapol 0 gauge wagons, and Jesse, who was applying transfers yesterday and building a D&S etched wagon kit today.

I came away slightly poorer too of course. I bought half-a-dozen more of my late friend Harry Howell's wagons, which were part of a lot that I didn't win at the auction of his estate last year, and a few secondhand books too.

All in all, an excellent, enjoyable and productive weekend.

Finally, we might have unearthed another potential Mid-Cornwall Lines operator (although he doesn't know it yet...).

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 6

On 05/03/2020 at 00:35, St Enodoc said:

A very happy St Piran's Day to one and all.

As you mention that Cornish Saint (one of the five National Saints of the British Isles), might it be appropriate to show the man himself with his own modelling?

image.png.b89cfcac2c7203d854ae62edcab8ffe5.png

The main figure is St Piran, who is portrayed tonsured, shaven and barefoot, wearing a monastic habit. His left hand supports a model of his oratory at Perranzabuloe.

https://www.cornishstainedglass.org.uk/mgstc/chapter11.xhtml

I'm not sure if it is OO gauge though. Any suggestions?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

As you mention that Cornish Saint (one of the five National Saints of the British Isles), might it be appropriate to show the man himself with his own modelling?

image.png.b89cfcac2c7203d854ae62edcab8ffe5.png

I'm not sure if it is OO gauge though. Any suggestions?

It does look a bit big for 00. Perhaps it's S (Saint) scale? Easy enough to change the scale of these download-and-print card models.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Sadly there never was a Perranzabuloe railway station (in deepest Mid-West-Cornwall).  The nearest I can find are Perranporth and Goonhavern Halt.

These days, this might the best reason for a halt in Perranzabuloe?

https://healeyscyder.co.uk/

A halt on the Chacewater line would be quite plausible, especially in a fictitious world like that of the Mid-Cornwall Lines (where, of course, Perranporth itself has been camouflaged as Polperran (Piran's Well?)).

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

A halt on the Chacewater line would be quite plausible, especially in a fictitious world like that of the Mid-Cornwall Lines (where, of course, Perranporth itself has been camouflaged as Polperran (Piran's Well?).

As if by a miracle, I've just discovered a long-lost branch of the Chacewater to Newquay line. Between Perranporth and Goonhavern Halt. It looks like it branches off the main line at Cocks Junction. I'm told it was built especially for the massive number of pilgrims who regularly go to Perranzabuloe to pay homage to the National Saint of Cornwall. After the liberation of Cornwall from the clutches of the Dutchy. Honestly though, who knew there really is a village called Cocks?

image.png.37b1d556834f147d0d68e7f9d4c05b5f.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1