Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

On 19/07/2020 at 18:24, St Enodoc said:

"Bye Bye Rosie Off You Go - Birmingham Via Great Western" (which I find totally useless as I can never remember which order the "B"s are in - perhaps there's another mnemonic for that!).

I learnt "Bill Brown reads Olaf Yellow's green book: very good with gold and silver pages".

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, aardvark said:

I learnt "Bill Brown reads Olaf Yellow's green book: very good with gold and silver pages".

Thanks - but is Bill black and the book blue or the other way round?

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Funny 1

39 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks - but is Bill black and the book blue or the other way round?

Are you casting aspersions on my aging memory?  Well, you'd be right to, but it does seem that I have it the right way around.

336390963_resistor_4_band_code1.gif.498c06331539c55ed435314b6b13cb1d.gif

Edited by aardvark
... but you made me look :)
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, aardvark said:

Are you casting aspersions on my aging memory?  Well, you'd be right to, but it does seem that I have it the right way around.

336390963_resistor_4_band_code1.gif.498c06331539c55ed435314b6b13cb1d.gif

That's exactly my problem - without looking it up I can never remember which of the Bs is black, brown or blue, which rather defeats the object of the mnemonic in the first place!

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

When working for Marconi I found it easier just to remember the colours. I was doing PCB inspection at the time.

I think, though, that is a reflection on your job or passion, as opposed to a casual interest.

For example, you had some grey coaches whizzing round the other day - you know exactly what they are, but how many didn't.  

Olddddddudddders can probably recognise each type of Le Mans car, but I can't.

Halls, Granges, Stars, Castles - they all look similar to me... .

Maybe it's just me...

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Halls, Granges, Stars, Castles - they all look similar to me...

As I've said before, Veronica has the same opinion, so when I get another she doesn't notice...

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

As I've said before, Veronica has the same opinion, so when I get another she doesn't notice...

A sobering tale I heard of recently though - a gentleman who sadly passed away left a large collection of locomotives and rolling stock, apparently worth several thousand pounds.  His family just chucked them all away, thinking they were simple toy trains.

My first thought on hearing this was that he’d most likely never let on to his family quite how much he was spending (for obvious reasons).

Like they say, you can’t take it with you (Saint Class presumably excepted).

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

A sobering tale I heard of recently though - a gentleman who sadly passed away left a large collection of locomotives and rolling stock, apparently worth several thousand pounds.  His family just chucked them all away, thinking they were simple toy trains.

My first thought on hearing this was that he’d most likely never let on to his family quite how much he was spending (for obvious reasons).

Like they say, you can’t take it with you (Saint Class presumably excepted).

Hi Keith

Some of my stuff might be worth a few bob, that is if there is a buyer. All I hope they can raise enough dosh to pay for the skip to take the rest away.

Or they give it away to someone who will make use of it. I have it to enjoy playing with it and if someone else can do the same afterwards then wonderful.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Keith

Some of my stuff might be worth a few bob, that is if there is a buyer. All I hope they can raise enough dosh to pay for the skip to take the rest away.

Or they give it away to someone who will make use of it. I have it to enjoy playing with it and if someone else can do the same afterwards then wonderful.

It would be worth more if everything was the same colour...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

It would be worth more if everything was the same colour...

That would depend on the colour.

spacer.png

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

I've had a bit of a blitz on ballasting and earlier this afternoon I laid the last section to complete the main lines and Porthmellyn Road station except, of course, for the curve and points on to the branch, which aren't built yet.

20200725001mainlineballastingcomplete.JPG.d394edaea520048a9bb07b5643971e0a.JPG

20200725002mainlineballastingcomplete.JPG.18bdf197d0ab2277b93e34061d9958ac.JPG

Tomorrow I'll start tidying it all up - filling in any missing bits, vacuuming up all the loose stuff, clearing flangeways and point blades, touching up the brown paint and cleaning the rails. Then I'll be able to run some trains again.

Last night I watched the Waratahs against the Rebels, which was a waste of time, then the first session of the 3rd England v West Indies Test. I've taken a liking to Rakeem Cornwall - with a name like that he obviously can't go wrong in my book - who looks a decent tweaker. Of course he fields at first slip, which isn't a surprise at all given his body shape. It's good to see someone playing at the top level in this day and age on the basis of his cricketing skills rather than just athleticism.

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Great to see the ballasting done.

Yes Rakeem does give the ball a good tweak and he bowls a nice " heavy" ball.

A real character and a good slip fiwlder as well.

Baz

• Thanks 1