Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

It's all line-of-sight in the off-stage areas. I had a perfect view as I drove the Postal into the road I'd set...

Glad it’s not just me! I’d never make a signalman...

Edited by TrevorP1
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

1021 refusing to go...

That was easy. One of the crossheads had slipped and jammed on the slidebars (nothing to stop it). Didn't even need to take the body off.

Thought you’d become light headed and got Western Cavalier!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

For a change, we went inland for this morning's walk to Cattai National Park near the Hawkesbury River, then stopped for lunch (nice) at a garden centre (hmm) on the way home. I therefore only had a couple of hours playing trains this afternoon, during which time I fixed 208 points and 6911's nameplate then got through another 39 trains, taking us up to late Saturday afternoon. All the Up namers, with their Saturday strengtheners, have gone but of their Down counterparts only the Limited has appeared yet.

No collisions today, although there was one significant failure caused by 6988 succumbing to Bachmann split-chassis syndrome so its leading drivers will no longer hold their gauge. That might be terminal for this rather ancient loco and, if so, I'll probably have to replace it with a modern Bachmann one, despite the known faults at the front end. In the meantime, I can replace it with one of the spare Halls that won't be needed until Pentowan is built.

There were, as yesterday, several notes to be added to the STT to make it easier to follow. I'll do all those once I finish the dry run, which with only 33 trains to go should be next weekend.

In case anyone's wondering, I did think about varnishing the E147 today but decided that it wasn't quite warm enough (or as much fun as playing trains). No rush. Spring is only four weeks away.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

yesterday was the first time this "summer" I umpired in the "warm".. still needed my coat on though..

I did manage some painting on Friday though.. it was warm enough to get a decent aerosol from the rattle tins.. great!

I may have to do some track circuiting ..indeed your "Q" drivers have it as part of the circuitry from Mike Cole I believe?

Baz

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Barry O said:

yesterday was the first time this "summer" I umpired in the "warm".. still needed my coat on though..

I did manage some painting on Friday though.. it was warm enough to get a decent aerosol from the rattle tins.. great!

I may have to do some track circuiting ..indeed your "Q" drivers have it as part of the circuitry from Mike Cole I believe?

Baz

Yes they do - and as you know some locos take that as a licence to wander off, especially into turntable pits.

If they'd be any use to you, you can have 'em for the price of postage. They haven't been used since 1997 and I'm not likely to need them again. It would be nice if they could give more service where they'd be appreciated.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a quick look at 6988 today and, as I expected, the central plastic part (muff) of the leading driving axle had split. Now, 6305, which is definitely shot for other reasons than just the wheels and is in line for replacement by the new Dapol model, has the same type of axles so I opened that up for a look too. The trailing muff was split too but the leading axle wasn't, so I took it out and fitted it to 6988. I don't think this will be a long-term solution but it should get 6988 running again for a while. I also made a jury repair to the split muffs using superglue and binding the split with tape. I'll keep those as emergency spares.

The problems with the retooled Bachmann model's front end would stick out like a sore thumb against the earlier Bachmann and Replica bodies that I have, so I'll either have to keep these going if necessary using aftermarket spares, where available, or replace the chassis altogether with Comet frames.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I had a quick look at 6988 today and, as I expected, the central plastic part (muff) of the leading driving axle had split. Now, 6305, which is definitely shot for other reasons than just the wheels and is in line for replacement by the new Dapol model, has the same type of axles so I opened that up for a look too. The trailing muff was split too but the leading axle wasn't, so I took it out and fitted it to 6988. I don't think this will be a long-term solution but it should get 6988 running again for a while. I also made a jury repair to the split muffs using superglue and binding the split with tape. I'll keep those as emergency spares.

The problems with the retooled Bachmann model's front end would stick out like a sore thumb against the earlier Bachmann and Replica bodies that I have, so I'll either have to keep these going if necessary using aftermarket spares, where available, or replace the chassis altogether with Comet frames.

I’ve got a Brassmasters kit for the Bachmann Modified Hall in my roundtuit pile. It’s getting nearer the top, so maybe by Christmas... (I know, which one!).

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

I’ve got a Brassmasters kit for the Bachmann Modified Hall in my roundtuit pile. It’s getting nearer the top, so maybe by Christmas... (I know, which one!).

That's for the more recent model isn't it Trevor? I'd like to keep the existing bodies if I can and just fit new underparts.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's for the more recent model isn't it Trevor? I'd like to keep the existing bodies if I can and just fit new underparts.

Yes, the Brassmasters kit is for the recent one John. I hope to get round to it soon. I’ve already been through part of the job when I cannibalised  a S/H Modified Hall to use the chassis under the County.

I also swopped the boiler from that loco onto my 6911 as - from photos - it was closer ‘in period’ to the existing one. At this time I cannot remember which Hall I used to produce 6911! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

See if you can find the old brass comet chassis.that should fit easily. Or can you get replacement wheels?

Baz

The wheels are fine Baz, unlike some Bachmann models where the centres are reported to have gone out of shape. Peter's Spares list the muffs as a spare part but they are out of stock (and I suspect might stay that way...). Someone called James' Train Parts sells a 3D printed replacement set through Shapeways too.

Comet frames are an option. I have enough bits and wheels from earlier aborted projects to upgrade Tri-ang Albert Halls to suit these. This is probably the long-term solution. As well as the Modified Halls, I've got a Manor, a Standard class 4 and a Grange that has a Manor chassis under a K's body (the Manor itself will be replaced by a Dapol, thus yielding more spare muffs with luck).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

Yes, the Brassmasters kit is for the recent one John. I hope to get round to it soon. I’ve already been through part of the job when I cannibalised  a S/H Modified Hall to use the chassis under the County.

I also swopped the boiler from that loco onto my 6911 as - from photos - it was closer ‘in period’ to the existing one. At this time I cannot remember which Hall I used to produce 6911! 

Thanks Trevor. I remember your County conversion. My 6911 is a standard Bachmann product.

• RMweb Premium

I will check my boxofbits as I may have a couple of diused matnline chassis. If i find tany I will post them on.

(Won't be today though, umpiring the over 60s v Lancs)

Baz

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

I will check my boxofbits as I may have a couple of diused matnline chassis. If i find tany I will post them on.

(Won't be today though, umpiring the over 60s v Lancs)

Baz

Thanks, appreciate that.

Have a good day with the old blokes (oh, wait...).

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

At last a mild, dry and calm day, with low humidity, so at lunchtime out came the rattle can and the E147 is now varnished. Might need a bit more on one side but otherwise ready for glazing and fitting of door furniture, etc.

While I was out there I gave 6988 a quick run. All seemed well so it is right for work again.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hmm...

One of my might-but-probably-never-will projects is Finchley Central on the Northern Line, set in the very early 1960s when the goods yard was still open.

Bachmann, through the new EFE Rail brand, have just announced a ready-to-run 4-car 1938 stock set in 1960s livery...

Edited by St Enodoc
wandering comma
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Hmm...

One of my might-but-probably-never-will projects is Finchley Central on the Northern Line, set in the very early 1960s when the goods yard was still open.

Bachmann, through the new EFE Rail brand, have just announced a ready-to-run 4-car 1938 stock set in 1960s livery...

Just as I remember them, in my youth, running past the back of my house.

Although that was the Piccadilly line, with pannier tanks at night.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Hmm...

A few years ago I sketched out a number of LT/BR layouts after seeing several at exhibitions. These never progressed due to the problems of motorizing the LT stock.

There was a brief resurgence of interest when the S stock came out, but typically, I dithered too long and by the time I was ready to go the S stock were at silly prices on the Bay!

So if line flies and is available in other liveries, then I might get moving at get something done.  I think it will be a LT terminus plus BR goods yard to have in the house for when I don't want to venture out to the railway room!

But don't hold your breath, meanwhile maybe a dedicated thread for us LT/BR fans to share thoughts might be an idea?

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Just as I remember them, in my youth, running past the back of my house.

Although that was the Piccadilly line, with pannier tanks at night.

Thanks Nick. I grew up in Mill Hill East so they were part of my youth as well.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

A few years ago I sketched out a number of LT/BR layouts after seeing several at exhibitions. These never progressed due to the problems of motorizing the LT stock.

There was a brief resurgence of interest when the S stock came out, but typically, I dithered too long and by the time I was ready to go the S stock were at silly prices on the Bay!

So if line flies and is available in other liveries, then I might get moving at get something done.  I think it will be a LT terminus plus BR goods yard to have in the house for when I don't want to venture out to the railway room!

But don't hold your breath, meanwhile maybe a dedicated thread for us LT/BR fans to share thoughts might be an idea?

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul. If it does happen there are only two choices - either Mill Hill East, which would be quite monotonous even with the Gasworks coal and Edgware freights, or Finchley Central, which would be slightly less monotonous - especially if I cheated and mixed up a few Mill Hill East shuttles and FC terminators with the through trains.

Rest assured that if I do proceed I'll start a new topic for it.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/06/2020 at 20:57, Stubby47 said:

When you run a train over the ballasted section, is there much difference in noise ?

On 09/06/2020 at 21:33, St Enodoc said:

Don't know yet! But probably yes, more rumble. That might drown out some of the noisy motors and gears. I hope we'll still hear the clickety-clack at the ends of the lifting section.

I'll report back when I've got more of the main lines done.

Stu, now I've run a few trains over the ballasted main lines I can say that there is a slight overall increase in volume. Having said that, everything seems to have been amplified to the same extent, so we can still hear the clickety-clacks at the lifting flaps joints and the rumble from the plywood trackbed at those places.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4