Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, KingEdwardII said:

Indeed. The prototypes seem to vary a lot with respect to the distance between the dolls. In cases where the arms are at different heights, they can often be very close together. It seems fairly typical to allow a bit more space in the cases where the arms are at the same height. I assume Ratio have chosen the common case where the heights are different, but it is a pity that they don't make any provision for some variation in the doll spacing with this kit.

I think that the round post version (Ratio 468) provides more space between the dolls.

Yours, Mike

Thanks Mike. As you suggest, the standard Ratio configuration is for one tall and one short doll. It is possible to mix and match these. However, I suspect that the real problem is the location of the Ratio arm pivot, which seems to be too far to the left of the doll centre line. With Scalelink arms replacing the Ratio plastic ones, that just pushes the whole thing too far to the left.

This particular signal was, for most of the 1950s (and in fact still is), a tubular post with a steel truss bracket as per Ratio 468. I'll make a replacement one day!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sandwich station said:

John, have you thought about using a piece of yellow electrical insulation tape?

Yes I have, as you might have guessed. I tried that many years ago, both for red and yellow stripes, but it's just a little too thick to represent the painted stripe to my eyes. Waterslide transfers are the best way I've found but I haven't got any yellow stripes.

• RMweb Premium
On 24/11/2020 at 18:17, jrg1 said:

Ah, the Glebe Hotel.  Not quite as well known to me as the Vulcan Hotel-in every TAFE students memory as Ultimo TAFE Building V annex, especially to us marine engineering students in the eighties.

Nostalgia time for you:

20201122002VulcanHotelUltimo.JPG.c82e15f81ff1fe88a1681529087f3025.JPG

20201122004GlebeHotelGlebe.JPG.6abee8709f095ac5dd7b472b3b41879e.JPG

Oh, and more jacarandas to please Mr & Mrs @Barry O:

20201122010KellyStreetGlebe.JPG.06418b16e6c2057d5192b0446808d403.JPG

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

My Dapol Mogul is ready for dispatch from West Cornwall to Mid-Cornwall but it won't arrive for a little while, as I've agreed with Greg at Kernow that they will hold it back until my Bachmann 94xx is ready too, so that I can save on postage charges. A nice gesture, seeing as the two locos were on separate orders.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
On 23/10/2020 at 08:23, St Enodoc said:

The three ground discs are now ready for final assembly and installation, which I should be able to do over the weekend.

In other news, Veronica and I had lunch in the city today at a newish pop-up restaurant called The Milan Cricket Club. It bills itself as a "British Italian Steakhouse" and according to the chef the name is a nod to the early days of football clubs in Italy, many of which were combined football and cricket clubs (including the mighty AC Milan). He'd never heard of the Ted Dexter connection though, which he found interesting but not interesting enough to offer us a free meal or even a discount.

https://www.larosathestrand.com.au/the-milan-cricket-club

IMG_7382.JPG.59472fcaaadb47a3b8fdc821531c5d44.JPG

The menu included plenty of good hearty fare. I had the Scotch egg, the Barnsley chop and the marmalade ice cream - just for evaluation purposes of course. The drinks included a beer that was new to me, Banner Cross Yorkshire Pale, so I tried it. Very nice it was too, so rather than wine I just had a couple more beers with my meal.

While in town I went to the hobby shop and bought some more Humbrol paint and (hooray) a razor saw blade. I also looked at radio control connectors, including the EC3s as mentioned by @aardvark and some others called Deans connectors. All of these were much bigger than the JST RCYs and several times more expensive, so I didn't bother getting any.

I'll try a JST RCY tomorrow and, if I like it, I'll start converting the other jack plugs and sockets afterwards.

For the benefit of those outside South Yorkshire this is what real Barnsley chops look like.

IMG_0394.jpg.5ad54ad9d6228a01558ca8b5b132d0a6.jpg

Last night's dinner - these are not small plates either. Chops from McQuillan's butchers, High Street, Royston.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

14 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

For the benefit of those outside South Yorkshire this is what real Barnsley chops look like.

Last night's dinner - these are not small plates either. Chops from McQuillan's butchers, High Street, Royston.

Proper chops, Mike.
Going down into Chorlton tomorrow to get a couple from Frost's in the precinct.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Yep, pretty much the same size and shape as what I had the other week. Bon appétit or, in the vernacular, gerritdarnyer.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Wot......No Baked Beans ????????

manna

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chesterfield said:

Needs tomato sauce

12 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

Branston Pickle. :) 

Yorkshire Relish I reckon.

http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/yorkshirerelish.htm

Note how the first ad emphasises that it was cheap...

Personally, this used to be my favourite. Hard to get now though.

http://letslookagain.com/tag/history-of-ok-sauce/

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A change of tack today.

With 35 disc complete and 5/8 signal not started yet, I decided to do a little more on the baseboard for Polperran.

I marked out the position of the join between the L-girders, which will have a pair of legs to support it, by measuring lengthwise from the first frame that I made a few weeks ago and width-wise from the Penzance supporting legs. I marked these locations on bits of masking tape stuck to the carpet.

1062541285_20201205003PPintermediatelegbasecarpetremovedandflormarkedout.JPG.eaf55aae465f866fb2d0d80a5a6b2b43.JPG

Next, I made up a short length of L-girder to act as a base for the legs, lined this up with the masking tape markings and cut out a rectangle of carpet. After that, I re-marked the location of the leg base on the floor.

1677794547_20201205001PPintermediatelegbasetrialfit.JPG.621790bc44e989702cd0b8a761f7fa28.JPG

I placed the leg base in the gap...

445138400_20201205002PPintermediatelegbaseandL-girderstrialfit.JPG.2ae234a259be9675bc9eba197604e5ef.JPG

...and checked its position with the L-girders themselves.

All was well, so tomorrow I might make up the legs themselves - two vertical lengths of 42x42mm pine, cross-braced with 42x19mm and with a rebate cut into the top of the legs so that the L-girder sits flush at the front and back.

So far so good...

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bgman said:

Nice carpet ! :D

Thanks Grahame. When we moved here, there were two nice carpets in the lounge room and the dining room. We (not that I had much choice...) decided to go bare boards, so the carpets found their way into the railway room. One is slightly smaller than the other, so I need a small offcut or sample to fill the gap. Once this piece of woodwork is finished I'll be able to measure up exactly how small/big.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 05/12/2020 at 20:22, bgman said:

Nice carpet ! :D

My railway room carpet is similar, with a similar provenance. It was in the dining room.  I pulled it up and replaced it with stone tiles and a rug - William Morris of course.  Not only do I enjoy Victorian trains, but I like Victorian décor :rolleyes:.  I had the old carpet overlocked to form a rug to go under the railway.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, chesterfield said:

Mr Nuttall, I have admired your baseboards on many occasions so it is pleasing to see how it is done

proper

I hope you will be able to see for yourself next month. Unfortunately it has closed off the complete walking circuit round the layout but that was going to happen sooner or later anyway. I will be leaving space for a duck-under though, for those who can't be bothered to go the long way round.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1