Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

I'm a long time lurker and admirer of this thread - the scale and precision of this project is breathtaking! 

Could I ask what the origin is of the rather charming station building you have at St Enodoc station?

Edited by BenL
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, BenL said:

I'm a long time lurker and admirer of this thread - the scale and precision of this project is breathtaking! 

Could I ask what the origin is of the rather charming station building you have at St Enodoc station?

Thanks Ben. It's a scratchbuilt styrene model of the station building at Bugle, shortened to about 2/3 of its scale length. When I say scratchbuilt, I did use Peco valances and some Peco and Grandt Line windows and doors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Back to your superelevation: I've seen your earlier post (2016ish) on adding styrene packing between the joist and trackbed but wondered whether it was for visual effect or for running.  I will have some visible curves and some hidden so I'm wondering which I need to do.  Unfortunately, most of the visible are on the flat earth boards!

Paul.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Back to your superelevation: I've seen your earlier post (2016ish) on adding styrene packing between the joist and trackbed but wondered whether it was for visual effect or for running.  I will have some visible curves and some hidden so I'm wondering which I need to do.  Unfortunately, most of the visible are on the flat earth boards!

Paul.

Strictly cosmetic, Paul, although the associated transitions (on the main lines, no room for them here) are functional in the sense that they allow a gradual increase in track spacing between the straight and the circular curve.

More detail here and in subsequent posts:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

functional in the sense that they allow a gradual increase in track spacing between the straight and the circular curve.

That could be useful once I check clearances on my worst case overhangs. 

Paul.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Barry O said:

Try 14.6 or even 14.7.. it works for the newer Gibson wheels.

20 hours ago, Denbridge said:

Ive just measured the btb gauge ive used for many years with finescale wheels such as Gibsons. It is 14.85mm. Cant remember where this dimension came from, but over the years my locos and stock have run on many other layouts, generally successfully.

I tried 14.7mm and it made no difference, so I looked more closely. The approach to the problem area is on a right-hand curve. Where it straightens out to cross the slip the pony truck stays over to the right, so it takes the wrong road at the elbow point rails, which due to the geometry are to all intents and purposes unchecked. Consequently, I didn't bother pushing the wheels out to 14.85mm as that might cause other problems elsewhere.

The solution, if I can be bothered, will be to dismantle the pony truck altogether and rebuild it without the cam arrangement (and with the pivot set according to Baldry's Rule). In the meantime, I will live with it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Sharky said:

Exciting Times ahead!

Looking forward to seeing the first train to run through the section.

Thanks! Apart from initial testing, the first proper train will be one of the china-clay trains - probably the long one, to make sure that a 42xx can lift it up the gradient...

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I tried 14.7mm and it made no difference, so I looked more closely. The approach to the problem area is on a right-hand curve. Where it straightens out to cross the slip the pony truck stays over to the right, so it takes the wrong road at the elbow point rails, which due to the geometry are to all intents and purposes unchecked. Consequently, I didn't bother pushing the wheels out to 14.85mm as that might cause other problems elsewhere.

The solution, if I can be bothered, will be to dismantle the pony truck altogether and rebuild it without the cam arrangement (and with the pivot set according to Baldry's Rule). In the meantime, I will live with it.

Sounds like the lack of a check rail is part of the problem, but the geometry means you can’t fit one immediately opposite the problem area.  In which case, is there enough space to fit an additionalcheck rail ahead of the problem area to improve the bogie’s angle of approach?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Sounds like the lack of a check rail is part of the problem, but the geometry means you can’t fit one immediately opposite the problem area.  In which case, is there enough space to fit an additionalcheck rail ahead of the problem area to improve the bogie’s angle of approach?

I don't think there is, Phil. Slips (and diamonds) are tricky as there is always a short section that essentially can't be checked. I'm sure that the problem is with the loco not the track anyway, so as I've mentioned it's not going to be a problem in normal operation so I'm going to leave it with the Dapol wheelset, set to 14.5mm, and that's it.

• Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

No spoilers but, with exactly three overs to spare, the match has been won and lost. Some deep breathing needed to lower my blood pressure now!

You should've watched England (that's if you can get it on TV)??

Bet we don't do so well on Friday!

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I've started fettling points in readiness for laying the branch. I recovered them all from the previous St Enodoc layout and they need various combinations of cleaning off old ballast and/or glue, replacing broken timbers, replacing broken tiebars, removing old droppers, resoldering broken joints and, most importantly, making sure that the switch rails fit up properly. I've done the two for Porthmellyn Road and I'll continue in the Down direction with the four for St Enodoc Up end, three for St Enodoc Down end and one for Wheal Veronica.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, nerron said:

I hope you enjoy re-furbishing hand made points as much as i do. It gives me a good feeling of waste not want not and it is much quicker than starting afresh.

Thanks Ron. Yes, I made these back in about 2007 so they are probably due for a bit of TLC!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The fettling went a lot quicker than I had anticipated and is now all done. Tomorrow I'll give all ten points a good scrub with hot water and Jif, then get back to baseboards and trackbed. The first job is to fix the joists for St Enodoc station boards, after which I can set the levels and superelevation for the trackbed between Porthmellyn Road and St Enodoc. The gradient should work out at about 1 in 100; not too taxing but enough to give an impression of the real Par Loop as it descends and curves to St Blazey.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1