Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold

Aesthetically I agree that facing the operator looks better - as mine will on my layout.  But I’m struggling with which way round that should have put the frame - the opposite way to what your signalman will be working. . . 

So, regrettably, no help from me!

Paul.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

And a P.S. to the previous post:

I do like the Signalman's cup holder you have thoughtfully provided.  How do you intend to use incorporate it into the scenery?

:-)

Paul.

• Funny 4

37 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

I suspect the original position would be more accurate. It would give the signalman a clear view of

the whole of the layout. Nothing could "disappear" behind the box.

But of course if the other position looks better.....

TONY

I agree with Tony, the signalman (person) would have an unobstructed view, and you won’t have a nightmare working out the point rodding.   Ask me how I know.

Rich 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

I suspect the original position would be more accurate. It would give the signalman a clear view of

the whole of the layout. Nothing could "disappear" behind the box.

But of course if the other position looks better.....

TONY

38 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Aesthetically I agree that facing the operator looks better - as mine will on my layout.  But I’m struggling with which way round that should have put the frame - the opposite way to what your signalman will be working. . . 

So, regrettably, no help from me!

Paul.

11 minutes ago, Ashley Bridge said:

I agree with Tony, the signalman (person) would have an unobstructed view, and you won’t have a nightmare working out the point rodding.   Ask me how I know.

Rich 

Thanks gents, some good points on both sides of the argument.

Tony and Rich, the original signal box at Bugle was at the Up end of the station on the Down side of the double line, next to the level crossing (which I'm not modelling), so having the box facing that way is "prototypical" even though St Enodoc is not an exact copy of Bugle of course. Nothing could "disappear", as you put it, behind the real box but on the model it could if I put it between the tracks at the end of the island platform. I'm not too worried about the rodding. When (if) I get round to fitting that it will be probably representational rather than authentic.

Paul, as you say the model frame will be the opposite way round to the Modratec frame if I move the box but that doesn't bother me too much, as Treloggan Junction and Pentowan will be the same, with the front of those boxes facing the operators. At Porthmellyn Road it won't matter, as both sides of the box were glazed (and carried a nameboard).

I could move it to somewhere approximating to the location at Bugle but I feel that would make the station "unbalanced". Another advantage of moving it between the tracks is that it will fill a rather odd gap at the end of the platform.

Decisions, decisions...

Edit: As it happens, this is post 4206, which was of course one of St Blazey's 2-8-0Ts...

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

If you’re not too worried about the mechanics, have it in that space at the “throat” . That way you can have a pathway down from the end of the platform, his bike against the back wall, no need for a privy, etc.

Hows your weather looking? they’re talking about 41 in Adelaide Sunday.      I’m not jealous.

Rich 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Ashley Bridge said:

If you’re not too worried about the mechanics, have it in that space at the “throat” . That way you can have a pathway down from the end of the platform, his bike against the back wall, no need for a privy, etc.

I'm going to have a look at moving it nearer to the Bugle position outside the double track, in the Vee between the Down line and the Down siding (camping coach siding). Then I could have a path and a small boarded foot crossing. It would still leave the large space between the Up and Down lines at the platform end though...

6 minutes ago, Ashley Bridge said:

Hows your weather looking? they’re talking about 41 in Adelaide Sunday.      I’m not jealous.

32 today. It will continue in the low- to mid-thirties where we are for the next few days. Hotter in Western Sydney, away from the coast. We'll probably get some thunderstorms in the afternoons (we had a small one today while I was in the railway room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks gents, some good points on both sides of the argument.

Decisions, decisions...

Of course there was Truro East (?) - that was between the main running lines!

Whatever your final decision, I have to say the whole layout has been lifted

by the appearance of some vertical structures (Signal box, and platform.

Another milestone in my opinion

Keep it up.

TONY

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m late in on this but I would say ‘Option 1’ as in your first pic. As others have said, the 4mm scale signalman would have the best view of operations from there. The ‘aesthetically pleasing’ spot would bug me as being wrong technically. If this were an exhibition layout there would bound to be a smart Alec to point out your ‘error’.

Just my penny worth :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Of course there was Truro East (?) - that was between the main running lines!

Whatever your final decision, I have to say the whole layout has been lifted

by the appearance of some vertical structures (Signal box, and platform.

Another milestone in my opinion

Keep it up.

TONY

Thanks Tony. Par/Porthmellyn Road is of course also between the tracks, on the island platform.

St Enodoc is a sort of "instant layout", as I built it when we first moved to Australia. One of the design criteria for the new layout was that I should be able to include St Enodoc station - as you can see, I achieved that.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

I’m late in on this but I would say ‘Option 1’ as in your first pic. As others have said, the 4mm scale signalman would have the best view of operations from there. The ‘aesthetically pleasing’ spot would bug me as being wrong technically. If this were an exhibition layout there would bound to be a smart Alec to point out your ‘error’.

Just my penny worth :) 

Thanks Trevor. My feeling at the moment is to turn it round but whether that's as shown in the photo or further to the left I don't know. I don't need to stick it down yet, so plenty of time to experiment.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I like the central location - it fits very well.  But I admit that’s looking at it from the front in the photos, not the rear.

As for the justification, I’m not an expert (so this may not be useful), but it does seem to be one of those: “I just need to find one prototype” situations.  Par and Truro East (as cited) therefore help, and have the added advantage of being reasonably local.  But I thought the line behind Par was a branch, not the other running line?  To me that seems ‘different’ ?

I also can’t help thinking there’d be a window in the back wall at some point, to give a view of the points ‘behind’ the signal box?  (I’m loathe to suggest hacking about such a nice model though).

Another factor might be the history of the line the model is based on, which I don’t know sorry.  If it was originally single track and only later doubled - after the signal box was built and commissioned - would that be a justification?  Keith.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I favour keeping the signal box in front of where the modratec panel is going. It will allow the panel operator to easily imagine being sat in the box right in front of them.  A more realistic operator experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

how can you get anything done when ABC Classic starts doing requests?  I have some modelling to get finished but the music is getting in the way..

Baz

Wear some earplugs ! :stinker:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

But I thought the line behind Par was a branch, not the other running line?  To me that seems ‘different’ ?

I also can’t help thinking there’d be a window in the back wall at some point, to give a view of the points ‘behind’ the signal box?

13 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Perhaps it would look more authentic, at the end of the platform, with a couple of windows in the back wall?

12 hours ago, Chamby said:

I favour keeping the signal box in front of where the modratec panel is going. It will allow the panel operator to easily imagine being sat in the box right in front of them.

More useful contributions, thanks.

Windows in the back wall? Thereby hangs a tale.

The model is built from the drawings of Dunster in the old Peco Ericplans book, originally for the first St Enodoc which was a branch terminus. The back of the box faced the backscene so although Dunster had a window in the rear wall I didn't bother as it couldn't be seen (not sure why I left the locking room window in though!).

If it goes between the tracks it probably should have the rear window but, as Keith surmised, I'm not going to hack it about now.

Phil, your argument makes sound sense except that having built the darned thing I'd like to see the inside when I'm sitting at St Enodoc lever frame! Also, as I mentioned, Treloggan Junction and Pentowan signal boxes will definitely face the operators anyway.

So, the choices are:

- leave it where it was: back to the operators; lever frame correctly oriented; no rear view for the (model) signalman needed; leaves the odd gap at the platform end.

- turn it round and put it between the tracks: front tothe operatrs; lever frame reversed; no rear view; fills the odd gapat teh paltform end.

- turn it round and move it outside the tracks at the up end of the station (as per the prototype Bugle): front to the operators; lever frame reversed; no rear view needed; station might look stretched and unbalanced (in relation to the station building, future goods shed and future bridge); might obscure the view of the camping coach; leaves the odd gap.

I'll try it in all three positions when construction gets a bit more advanced.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 22/01/2021 at 20:03, 5BarVT said:

And a P.S. to the previous post:

I do like the Signalman's cup holder you have thoughtfully provided.  How do you intend to use incorporate it into the scenery?

:-)

Paul.

Here's how it used to look:

20141116007StEnodocupend.JPG.18bce471cad74c96ed54f2b1f6fef389.JPG

20141116012StEnodocstation.JPG.eeac3d226ce2f5be0094b0e7d3198445.JPG

Edited by St Enodoc
Images restored
  • Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

More useful contributions, thanks.

Windows in the back wall? Thereby hangs a tale.

The model is built from the drawings of Dunster in the old Peco Ericplans book, originally for the first St Enodoc which was a branch terminus. The back of the box faced the backscene so although Dunster had a window in the rear wall I didn't bother as it couldn't be seen (not sure why I left the locking room window in though!).

If it goes between the tracks it probably should have the rear window but, as Keith surmised, I'm not going to hack it about now.

Phil, your argument makes sound sense except that having built the darned thing I'd like to see the inside when I'm sitting at St Enodoc lever frame! Also, as I mentioned, Treloggan Junction and Pentowan signal boxes will definitely face the operators anyway.

So, the choices are:

- leave it where it was: back to the operators; lever frame correctly oriented; no rear view for the (model) signalman needed; leaves the odd gap at the platform end.

- turn it round and put it between the tracks: front tothe operatrs; lever frame reversed; no rear view; fills the odd gapat teh paltform end.

- turn it round and move it outside the tracks at the up end of the station (as per the prototype Bugle): front to the operators; lever frame reversed; no rear view needed; station might look stretched and unbalanced (in relation to the station building, future goods shed and future bridge); might obscure the view of the camping coach; leaves the odd gap.

I'll try it in all three positions when construction gets a bit more advanced.

Hi Sainty

Does the layout move on its own? 

Are the operators capable of independent movement? 

If the answer to question one is NO and the answer to question two is YES......then leave the singalbox alone and move the operators.

The other choice is put colour light signalling in and have a power box off scene.

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Sainty

Does the layout move on its own? 

Are the operators capable of independent movement? 

If the answer to question one is NO and the answer to question two is YES......then leave the singalbox alone and move the operators.

The other choice is put colour light signalling in and have a power box off scene.

Thanks for your help, as always.

Q1 - no, barring earthquakes.

Q2 - the drivers move around but the signalmen generally stay in front of their lever frames, funnily enough. The yardmasters strut up and down in their respective yard areas but aren't allowed out of there until tea time.

• Like 6
  • Funny 3

On 22/01/2021 at 07:31, St Enodoc said:

I mentioned the signal box earlier. On the new layout, I think it will make more sense to turn it round and place it between the Up and Down lines so that the signalman and drivers can see that side rather than a blank wall. It's not fixed down at the moment, so I can still change my mind. What does the team think?

Hmm ... not so sure. It feels more 'railway like' for it to be at the side of the running lines rather than in between them.

Would it be possible to locate it on the other side of the lines altogether so that it's on the outside of the curve? That would give the real life signalman a better view of trains approaching the station? (Although I appreciate that the 180deg curve is probably for model railway convenience rather than portraying an aspect of the prototype)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1